Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) -

It was only 3 hours, but felt like 7 hour long Satantango, only three times worse. I thought Scorsese can't make a film worse than Goodfellas, but he proved me wrong. A disappointment. Great Di Caprio performance, though.

PS: It's true.
I also agree that Goodfellas is overrated, though only slightly in my book. Crime movies overall are overrated.

I think that's an excellent description of it.
Indeed. I think that PMMM is similar to Love Exposure in it's sensibilities but a in darker and edgier way, without any talk about sex though, instead it's a bit more mature but not really "old" adult stuff.

I've also been re-watching Dragon Ball episodes

It has been 12 years since I watched Dragon Ball. May try to revisit it from a grown up perspective. Though in terms of TV anime I am mostly watching the new adult stuff.

I have tried to rank Tarkovsky's movies below, but its been really hard. I would say that its a throw-up in between Andrei Rublev, Solaris and Nostalghia. They could easily change places upon a rewatch. The worst has been Ivan's Childhood, but its still top 100 material and i would probably suggest this as the first Tarkovsky movie to watch if you havent seen any.

Andrei Tarkovsky ranked from top -> bottom:

1) The Mirror (1975)
2) Stalker (1979)
3) Andrei Rublev (1966)
4) Solaris (1972)
5) Nostalghia (1983)
6) The Sacrifice (1986)
7) Ivan's Childhood (1962)
My ranking is very similar:

1) Stalker (1975)
2) The Mirror (1979)
3) Andrei Rublev (1966)
4) Solaris (1972)
5) Nostalghia (1983)
6) The Sacrifice (1986)
7) Ivan's Childhood (1962)

I have 6 out of these 7 in my top 200. Might include Ivan's Childhood though, since I rate it as about the same as the others in the bottom of my top 200.

I watched:

Twilight Samurai -

Drunken Angel -
- (one of Kurosawa's weakest films IMO, still flashes with his brilliance though: it's visual language is incredible)

In the Mood for Love -
, increased from 3/5, pretty good movie with incredible visuals (a visual masterpiece, specially when I watched it in the blu ray version, stunning film!, also these slender chinese woman look smoking hot in these tight dresses) though I did not connect with the characters as much as I hoped to and the music is a bit thin though decent,

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Boy Eats Girl (Stephen Baldwin, 2005)

Eat My Dust (Charles B. Griffith, 1976)
+
Ambush Trail (Harry Fraser, 1946)
+
Howl (Rob Epstein & Jeffrey Freeman, 2010)
+

Howl depicts parts of Allen Ginsberg’s personal life, some recreated interviews, the trial to
determine if his book is obscene and the reading and writing of his poetry, which is often animated.

Crusader (Bryan Goeres, 2005)
+
Quentin Durward (Richard Thorpe, 1955)

Fårö-dokument 1979 (Ingmar Bergman, 1979)

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Adam Radomski & Bruce W. Timm, 1993)

Batman confronts the Phantasm whose murders of crime bosses gets Batman the blame.
The Theatre Bizarre (Seven Directors, 2011)

High C’s (James W. Horne, 1930)

The First Auto (Roy Del Ruth, 1927)

Capote (Bennett Miller, 2005)
+

Perry Smith (Clifton Collins Jr.) is interviewed by Truman Capote
(Philip Seymour Hoffman) about his actions at the Clutter farm on Nov. 15, 1959.

Barbarian Queen (Hector Olivera, 1985)
-
Star Trek Into Darkness (J.J. Abrams, 2013)

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (Tom Elkins, 2013)

Machete Maidens Unleashed! (Mark Hartley, 2010)

The Big Doll House with Pam Greer is an example of Filipino exploitation movies discussed in this documentary.
One Who Came Back (No Director Listed, 1951)
-
***** Year (Cam Archer, 2010)
+
The Toxic Avenger (Michael Herz & Samuel Weil [Lloyd Kaufman], 1984)

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton, 1988)

Kevin Costner has to summarize the problems around the pitcher’s mound: pitcher Tim Robbins is breathing out the wrong eyelid, they
need a live chicken to lift a curse on a player’s glove, and the team doesn’t know what to get another player for a wedding present.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I Though in terms of TV anime I am mostly watching the new adult stuff.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Werckmeister Harmonies (rewatch) -

Wow! I don't know what to say. This time the movie felt extremely underwhelming. I no longer feel the magic and nihilism became pretty boring even to me. It's still a great masterpiece, but I decreased the rating by half a star and since it was the only film I rated 5 stars I was waiting for another great masterpiece that would blow me away and thankfully I didn't have to wait long, because later that day I watched...

Dune -

Not only is it the finest achievement of American sci-fi, but also my new favourite movie of all time! Lynch found a perfect balance between metaphysically transcendential beauty and kitschy entertainment and created a film of all films. Just look at this body above. Could you refuse?

March, 2014 movies watched-

Good month for me I think; out of 46 movies watched, only one was a repeat viewing.*

This is Spinal Tap (1984)
One of a kind and very funny

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
This epic classic is just a great film

In the Heat of the Night (1967)
*Best picture winner gets your attention right away, and never let's go

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
Moving and very well acted; a nice surprise*

Hard Eight (1996)
I liked the subject matter and the twist, that was it.

The Pianist (2002)
Impressive and powerful, but I didn't quite love it

Big Bad Wolves (2013)
My first Israeli film was a mess. The worst film I've seen this year

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
A little long for me, but a brilliant film with superb performances

On the Waterfront (1954)
Great film, Brando was awesome*

Moonstruck (1987)
One of the better romantic comedies I've seen. Cher, Cage, and the rest of the cast nailed it.

Trailer Park of Terror (2008)
Watchable if you like skanky, low budget horror

The Purge (2013)
Ridiculous, but I enjoyed it

Road to Perdition (2002)
Simple, but very effective and well done

Scum (1979)
Excellent, brutal British film about juvenile inmates. Ray Winstone stars

Blow (2001)
Ok, but not nearly as good as it should have, or could have been

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Wonderfully entertaining*

Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Good movie, but I like Warren Oates better as a supporting actor

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
Plenty to like, but I didn't love it

American Splendor (2003)
Amusing throughout; Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis are fantastic*

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Not a Sci-Fi fan so this was a huge surprise for me

Diner (1982)
Very enjoyable, although it seemed to drag at times

Simon Killer (2012)
Nice style and atmosphere, but dull with an uninteresting main character

The Avengers (2012)
A fun concept that doesn't disappoint*

The Straight Story (1999)
Simple and beautiful*

The Conversation (1974)
I love Gene Hackman, but this was just ok for me

The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Nice surprise for me from Guilermo Del Toro

Harry Brown (2009)
British revenge flick that's a little above average thanks to Michael Caine

Get the Gringo (2012)
Hidden gem for action fans with Mel Gibson

The Collection (2012)
Decent sequel but I preferred The Collector

Days of Heaven (1978)
If this movie had the emotion to match it's beauty, it would be freaking incredible

American Hustle (2013)
After 35 minutes, I was completely uninterested; the most dramatic change of heart I've ever had while watching a movie

Blue Jasmine (2013)
Out of the 3 Woody Allen movies I've seen, this is my favorite so far

Atlantic City (1980)
This is a very solid movie about hard luck people trying to get by

The Conjuring (2013)
I thought this movie succeeded perfectly in what it was trying to accomplish; it had me on the edge of my seat

Only God Forgives (2013)
The director messed this one up, at least it wasn't long

The Expendables 2 (2012)
All kinds of fun from start to finish

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Pretty unique movie with a lot of energy, and surprisingly well rounded

The 25th Hour (2002)
Powerful film that got me involved

Red River (1948)
My first John Wayne film was great, but the last 90 seconds put a damper on it

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
I had a hard time with this one; a lot of it wasn't interesting to me, but I liked it

The Last Stand (2013)
Nonsensical fun; Arnold is great and it has a strong supporting cast

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
Not great for me, but enjoyable, comical, and memorable*

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) 2nd viewing
Not the same magic as my first viewing, but still wildly entertaining and unforgettable*

Great Expectations (1946)
Not my kind of movie, but I enjoyed it

Rio Bravo (1959)
Great chemistry between Wayne, Martin, and Nelson

Total movies watched in 2014
January 46
February 37
March 45
Total ytd 128

It has been 12 years since I watched Dragon Ball. May try to revisit it from a grown up perspective. Though in terms of TV anime I am mostly watching the new adult stuff.
I never watched much of the Dragon Ball anime, but was a big fan of the manga. I think my super-high rating for the anime was a little premature; I'm now in the middle of the Red Ribbon Army saga and it's getting to be a bit of a slog. I wonder if the anime caught up to the manga around this time. That might explain why the pointless filler is starting to ramp-up. 15 pages a week is hard to drag out to a 20-minute episode.

Narc (Joe Carnahan, 2002)

The Double Life of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991)
Do you have a new prescription, mark? How strong are the painkillers?

The Untouchables (1987) -

Far from De Palma's greatest
You ain't wrong there.

but I still can't understand why some people hate it so much.
It's because they watched it.

It's entertaining
No, it isn't.

and cool
No, really. It isn't.

with some occasional funny moments.
Huh? I suppose it's possible, but I can't remember any.

I don't like gangster film genre that much (not American gangsters, anyway)
Weirdo.

but this one was good.
Have you had an aneurysm?

Brian De Plama is like the Zack Snyder of yesterday.
I'd have to watch more Snyder, which doesn't sound like something I'd do, but I can see where you're coming from.
Machete Maidens Unleashed! (Mark Hartley, 2010)

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton, 1988)
Ah, that's better. I see you've managed the dosage now.

Drunken Angel -
- (one of Kurosawa's weakest films IMO, still flashes with his brilliance though: it's visual language is incredible)
I liked the movie quite a bit as well. Gave it the same rating. Though I still think The Most Beautiful is his weakest film from what I have seen so far.

The Conformist

Some good watches recently:
21 Up (Apted, 1977)-

Mi Amigo Invisible (Larcuen, 2010) [SHORT]-

Elefante (Larcuen, 2011) [SHORT]-

Fallin Floyd (Hooft & Vink, 2013) [SHORT]-

A Boy and His Dog (L.Q. Jones, 1975)-
-
Death Race 2000 (Bartel, 1975)-

The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky, 1973)-

The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)-

The Double Hour (Capotondi, 2009)-
-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I'd like to mention the two Pablo Larcuen short films in this set (Mi Amigo Invisible and Elefante), because I'm truly proud that I've discovered this artist. The Spanish director also made a feature last year, Hooked Up, which I would like to watch. His short films have something truly special to them. One dose of funny and one dose of extremly touching, makes both of these a great mix.Elefante especially with its crude style really hit a spot. Check them out on his Website.

The Conformist is a film that has stuck with me since my initial viewing a few days ago, perhaps it deserves half a star higher. The slow style draws similarity to Melville's assassin film Le Samourai. Trintignant puts up a solid performance as the assassin (Marcello), but my issue with the character was he felt to smooth to be a universal conformist. Marcello feels like a charming individual, just not another man in the crowd. The film does reveal what it means with labeling Marcello as a conformist with the climax, which follows his fascist conformity. The second theme, sex, is also addressed in the end which I feel is the most important scene in the whole film. The last scene is chilling and revealing, crucial to the film.

The Double Hour begins as a romance, but quickly turns into a psychological thriller. The pacing similar to Hitchcock, The Double Hour is truly an intense experience. The character development is creepy yet realistic. But at the end there's too many erroneous plot holes. The scheme just does not make sense.

WARNING: "The Double Hour" spoilers below
Why would Giulia show such disinterest in the other members of the speed dating if her whole plan was just to steal with her lover?

A lot is unexplained but if you're looking for goosebumps this Italian picture should do it for you.

The Double Hour starts off bizarre with a suicide.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Immigrant

Solid period-piece drama. Not groundbreaking or anything, but well-made and with great performances from the entire cast.

Sisters of Gion

Only my 2nd film from Mizoguchi, and its rather good. Not nearly as great as Ugetsu obviously, but I'm excited to dive into more of his other films like Sansho the Bailiff. Hopefully I'll be viewing that in the coming months.

The Trial

An odd,frightening and claustrophobic experience. A man is accused of a crime, and he is never told what it is. Its very vague, but frightening because of that. It gives you room to connect the dots and to create an interpretation, rather than spoonfeeding you a message. Breathtaking cinematography and art direction. Welles creates a very thick atmosphere of dread and mystery.

Freaks

Pretty creepy mannn, pretty creepy.

Dom Hemingway

Not a fan of Jude Law, but he is great in this film as a potty-mouthed gangster. His performance generates laughs and he is very entertaining to watch. The first half of the film is quite good, I found myself immensely entertained. The second half on the other hand is derivative,bland, and forced. Still, I enjoyed the film for what it was. A decent way to spend 90-minutes I suppose.

I Vitelloni

A warm,poignant and nostalgic film about a few close friends living in a small seaside town. A deft blend of humor and drama, and with a heavenly Nino Rota score. Fellini is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors ever, and I cant wait to watch more of his filmography.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Mary and Max. (Rewatch) (Adam Elliot, 2009)
How many times is that you've watched Mary and Max now Vicky? And where would it come in your top 100 list were you to do it again?

How many times is that you've watched Mary and Max now Vicky?
Give her about a day to count. Maybe two. It's a big task figuring it out.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Donnie, you rated The Conformist two popcorns too low, but at least you liked it
Or two popcorns too high. Just saying.

How many times is that you've watched Mary and Max now Vicky? And where would it come in your top 100 list were you to do it again?
I think it's six times, now. I'm not entirely sure where I'd put it, but it would definitely be in the top 20, possibly even in the tail end of the top 10.

Miss Vicky, don't forget about your Texas Chainsaw Massacre duties.

I haven't forgotten, but my desktop computer decided to bite the dust and I've just now gotten a new one. I'll try to get at least one watched by the end of this weekend.