Movie of the Month - Take Shelter (November 2017)

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Why are spoiler tags being used in a thread devoted to a free discussion of a film which has already been freely discussed in a podcast?
Because I'm only halfway through the movie right now!! Skimming the thread peeking through as I try to hide my eyes with my hands. It's rather hard to type mashing my facing into the keyboard but it seems to work. Movie is almost done though so spoilers can be lifted soon.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Spoilers inbound, but as the characters of Clue like to remind us, "too late."

I will have to watch this again. As pointed out already, the final sequence was handled very differently than the rules established by all his previous dreams. The dreams were through his perspective. The final sequence starts with the daughter seeing the storm before he does. Also his wife, from her point of view, feels the oily rain in her hand. Point of view has changed for the first time throughout all dreams presented so far. That makes no technical sense to me if continuity is a concern. It should be.

I agree that he can both be dealing with mental illness while having prophetic visions. His paranoia could be a red herring, though, given the reality that his mother suffered from schizophrenia. Maybe that was just a diversion from the possible truth that he is only worried about his potential illness (not that he is really suffering from it) while he is literally seeing the future. End of world disasters can totally create cults. I'm not giving weight to that but wanted to note it as an example of projecting our own fantastic interpretation onto anything if we really want to---especially if the writing is reluctant to provide more access to internal information leaving us to our own devices of interpretation (or worst case, the writing didn't even consider it any deeper and the result is nothing more than an interesting yet vague Donnie Darko-like smoke and mirror bit). That random projection, to me, is a zero sum game.

So from a technical approach given what we were provided by the writer/director the sequence did not at all abide by the rules previously established. Else this drifts into Annihilation territory where the writer maybe didnt know either so just rolled the dice leaving that responsibility on the viewer.

I hated Annihilation for it, but enjoyed Take Shelter quite a bit. I would have enjoyed it more if I could for a moment believe the end was another dream.

I thought for a while the ending was a play off Remember Me (2010), where things were all set around a yet-to-be-revealed historic event. I got excited to discover that in 1989 Hurricane Hugo hit Charlston* some 90 miles away from Myrtle Beach, SC, which was their vacation spot at the end. I also noted so many references to financial hard times and the bank loan officer commenting that loans weren't as easy as they had been. I thought maybe this was tied to the Savings and Loans crisis leading into 1989. However, my working theory collapsed in on me as I found that during his visit with his mother he asked if she remembered when his father brought her to her assisted living home. He said. "1986. I was 10." That puts the setting closer to the late 2000's crash in that he is in his mid 30s now. Yeah. So maybe I should have read the movie to mean I need stay above ground instead of chasing the false security of underground rabbit holes.

*I'm not excited that a hurricane hit Charleston!! Only that I was able to find two historic events that converged in 1989 that might have anchored this movie to our reality. Three events if you count the Exxon Valdez oil spill in the same year. Could this all be a metaphor on global warming? Know what I mean? *Nudge-nudge* Say no more!

Una vez fui a ver la pelicula y no pudimos entrar porque la puerta estaba atascada pero gracias a unos cerrajeros , creo que eran estos...: https:cerrajeros-castellon.com/
pudimos entrar a verla y la verdad fue interesante