The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The side-quest stuff in these games has always struck me like, "Why bother?" It's cool if you have the time to salt away (I've got some platinum trophies ) , but it never seems to hinder or improve the gameplay enough to warrant the time spent.
Pretty much. I think a big part of that has to do with the nature of the story (not just the main one, but all the various strangers you can encounter) shifting around so much that I never felt settled enough to actually get into side-quests (never mind how , especially not once

WARNING: "RDR2" spoilers below
Arthur contracts TB

and that just sucks away any motivation to build satchels or forage for recipe ingredients. I never had that problem quite so much with its predecessor where it kept things simple enough that I actually enjoyed challenges as mundane as flower-picking or treasure-hunting whereas this one never quite gave me that satisfaction. Such is the self-contradictory nature of Rockstar games, I guess.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm not sure how to check my total hours played in Control, but I put at least an hour each evening in I've found two Objects of Power so far that have given me the powers to throw objects and to quick-dash in any direction. The game has begun to feel more and more like Bioshock and Half Life, but controls feel so much better as it is easier to switch between powers and your weapon. Most everything is easily put down by a random projectile object followed by 2-3 shots to the body---one to the head if you bother taking the time to aim. Some of these creatures can fly, chasing you down, and explode in proximity to your character. That's fun.

Environments have started to change now having found myself in the lower maintenance areas. Instead of the generic office complex I am now running through heavy machinery, water coolant pumps, and I've found your typical time-based training course that most FPSs put at the start of the game. There is an audio instruction for the course that some in-game staffer had to record. You can hear him complain about having to do it, making mistakes and lacking any enthusiasm at all. I've found a memo of his requesting that his supervisor remove the recording from the course as his coworkers have started mocking him.

At the moment I'm running through a small maze of piping, shooting down giant blobs of gunky mold that vomit acid clogging the coolant duct work. Oh, and I've found a magical merry-go-round horse that, based on a memo I've found, has been randomly darting in and out of offices throughout the building.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'm running through my second play-through of Blair Witch. I don't know if they released a patch or an update, but a lot of the earlier issues I had with it are no longer happening, just feels a lot smoother now.

I also started Gears 5.

I had been playing The Walking Dead game, but took a detour, after this though, I have an enormous backlog to dig into, including: Godeater, Uncharted: The Lost Legacies, Devil May Cry 5, and one or two others.

Here is a clip of the combat side of CONTROL. This is my third main zone I guess. I've found a few Items of Power and have unlocked my third weapon. It looks like I can only carry two variations of the sidearm at any given time.

Difficulty isn't as bad as I expected. I die often enough but I never feel overwhelmed too much and the deaths are mostly mistakes I make. Respawn is the latest Control Point accessed and NOT the nearest one so be sure to click in each zone before you wander into a new area. You see one near the end of this clip used to cleanse this area.

Here I'm set up with the Grip and Pierce variants of my sidearm. Grip is the default while Pierce is my newest, third style. It's a 2-shot charge blast armor piercer with no range limit. But it's slow.

Powers used include Melee (basically a Jedi Force style knock-back with damage), Launch (psychic projectiles), Evade (2-3 short bursts of speed before your energy drains), Shield (levitate material between you and the enemy to absorb minor gunfire), and finally Seize which is my latest power that I keep forgetting I have. There's only one example of it at about 2:38 in. If an enemy is low on health you can possess him so that he fights for you for a limited period of time before reverting back to Hiss. You can see him run in front of me to join the team moments after. Then later, after most of the action slows you hear him revert and get shot by the good guys. I THINK I've had two (maybe three?) active at once. I couldn't Seize more though. Points can be earned to increase Seize time before they revert.

---

Slight spoiler ahead as an unexpected mini-boss shows up near the end so if that's an issue then avoid the watch. I somehow survive with a sliver of health Midway into the mini-boss encounter. Luckily enemies "bleed" health when injured so there's plenty to collect when needed. They're represented by small blue crystal looking things all over the floor. That's why I keep circling the area to make sure health is capped and to find and items that might have dropped.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm running through my second play-through of Blair Witch. I don't know if they released a patch or an update, but a lot of the earlier issues I had with it are no longer happening, just feels a lot smoother now.

I also started Gears 5.

I had been playing The Walking Dead game, but took a detour, after this though, I have an enormous backlog to dig into, including: Godeater, Uncharted: The Lost Legacies, Devil May Cry 5, and one or two others.
There was a 13GB patch (basically the whole game) on Xbox the other day, and performance seems to be significantly better.

@ynwtf - Thanks for these reports. I'll probably pick Control up next week.

I've been dipping into RDR2 online again, and they've brought some significant updates - New game modes like trader and bounty hunter aren't an awful lot different to what you can do already but at least they provide some more structure. Beware, though, unless you're a PS+ subscriber or have linked your Twitch account, they'll all cost in-game currency to buy into.

I don't know if this is the same in single player, but they've also speeded up the animations for looting and skinning. Yay!

So much for not being overwhelmed! This lobby killed me four times before I learned what was going on. Use your research memos to learn the different classes of Hiss soldiers. Healers exist! I could not figure out why enemies would heal so fast or why when I killed one, two more would red-beam down in his place. Around 2:30 in I catch a glimpse of him floating about above the battle in his flying desk chair of reanimation.

I can't say enough on how smooth the controls are especially for a handheld controller. Everything just feels right and within reach. Difficulty has been easy to moderate up until these last few encounters. Some of that is me learning how and when to use different powers. Some is the enemy progression. Mostly I've only come across basic soldiers or the occasional suicidal whatever the hell they are thingies. Now though, groups come with hierarchies and specialized abilities, like healers. I now have to pay more attention to what is coming at me and where from. It's still possible to run-and-gun it and survive, but I feel that's about to switch up. Hench the video title, Mind Your Surroundings.

As dry as the acting was to start, it is making a lot of sense the more I progress into the story. Character movement is smooth and quick, the HUD is minimal and clean, cut scene transitions actually feel like part of my game and are nearly seamless in transition. Where a lot of games throw out HD rendered scenes that look nothing like game play quality, I'm never pulled out like that in the world of Control.

My only gripe looking back is that it was not clear you can only start to use new weapon variants or upgrades AFTER your first major zone clearing. All online information says to just access a control point to add mods. THAT control point is actually the fourth or fifth one you face so I thought my game was bugging.

You have a ton of reading material to sort through as distractions. Some can be useful for understanding your enemy ranks. Others are just bizarre. You can eventually register bounty type side missions called Executive Countermeasures. You can activate up to three at a time that are basically runs to kill X enemies with Y restrictions for a random mod. You can knock those out just by playing the game so it's good to have and claim them often. You can pick up random odd jobs from the peculiar janitor, Ahti. For me the story moves fast enough that I find it difficult to want to chase side missions for fear of breaking plot momentum but its there If you want it. Finally in addition to your weapon types and weapon and health mods you also have skill upgrades to invest points into. This is to increase health, power, projectile damage, etc. Some upgrade paths branch so I'm interested to see what's coming when those are revealed.

In this video I've become more comfortable using Seize. I've learned enemy rockets can partially chase you but one of my next mods will allow me to catch and relaunch enemy rockets and grenades before they detonate. Sounds fun.

Don't assume that for my two combat clips that this game is strictly a shooter. There are puzzles and inaccessible areas that will force you to strategize and revisit every zone at least twice.

I can't remember if someone else here said they bought the new Crash Team Racing, but I'm almost at the end of my patience with these boss races....some of the cheapest tactics I've seen in a video game haha

I can't remember if someone else here said they bought the new Crash Team Racing, but I'm almost at the end of my patience with these boss races....some of the cheapest tactics I've seen in a video game haha
That's the reason I've never liked cart racers - Skill gets negated by arbitrary nonsense far too often for me. Or else I'm just crap at them.

Switch Lite comes out Friday. I'm definitely getting it. Anyone have a Switch and what games do you like?
The Switch isn't far off my PS4 as my preferred gaming device these days, with the PC being a distant third. I love mine.

Apart from the Nintendo produced and console exclusive stuff (played a lot of Mario Maker 2 recently and have Astral Chain ready to start) I use mine for everything that doesn't require a huge amount of power to run. Avoid Bloodstained, though, as that port is rough.

I even bought Skyrim for the Switch, just to see how it runs, and it's an excellent version. Same with Dragon's Dogma.

EDIT - I also play a lot of Tetris 99.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nice. I already bought Kart and Smash ahead of time, so that I wouldn't have to spend as much when I buy the console.

I'm super close to finishing Final Fantasy 7, I'm in Midgar and it will be very rewarding to finish it. There's a decent chance reflecting on it that it will be in my top 5 all time games.

Nice. I already bought Kart and Smash ahead of time, so that I wouldn't have to spend as much when I buy the console.

I'm super close to finishing Final Fantasy 7, I'm in Midgar and it will be very rewarding to finish it. There's a decent chance reflecting on it that it will be in my top 5 all time games.
Final Fantasy 8 Remastered is a really good version of the game on Switch. I bought it last week. FFVII is also there.

I mentioned that CONTROL has puzzles in addition to the gun game but I have to say that Portal has really spoiled me here. So far I've had to access in-game computer screens to input codes or to decipher minor screen puzzles where solutions are visually scattered around the game. But I've also run into mix-and-match type puzzles where the NPC keeps talking to me dropping hints while I solve it. That is disappointing. I would sort of expect that if the game audience was 13, but given then violence and concept I kinda doubt that's true. There have been two inter-dimensional jumps that required me to recognize certain patterns in order to progress in the game and that is quite nice. But again, it's only presented itself twice so far.

Also, I would like for the game to be more difficult, or at least more restrictive with environments. After watching my last few recordings I've noticed that I can mostly wipe a zone sniping from a safe distance and so far every area is set up so that I can find a corner somewhere with a decent enough view to cover most of the room. Yes, I get rushed but I can just take a few hits and run to another area if that happens. I don't think this is nearly the level of say [Prototype], but it could use a few updates. With that said, AI seems to be getting smarter hiding behind cover than I remember in earlier areas.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Developing Dialogues:

A little deep dive. May be of interest to anyone who likes The Banner Saga, 80 Days, or Heaven's Vault. Or likes seeing Blade Runner scenes deconstructed. Or just wishes most game dialogue wasn't pants

---

Worth watching the full 45mins there. It's amusing, and an interesting take on making narratives feel interactive and personalised, while still providing a steered narrative flow. An ambitious aim.

But the TLDR is:
  • Dialogue can and should do more than just hammer 'Your mission is this'.
  • If you’ve got interesting subtexts (& a structured progression for them) the dialogue itself matters less. You can generate variants for each beat.
  • You can then make the conversation a ‘battle’ to ‘win’, using Accept, Reflect, Deflect replies as your toolset. Looping back to the intro if the player 'fails'...
  • Introductions are fertile ground for varied dialogue options, as they're more 'what about that weather' tier. So can be kept fairly varied.
  • Bonus touches can soften the looping effect. IE altering words post-loop ('And what do you think?’ vs ‘But what do you think?' etc), allowing 'trapdoor' answers which jump you ahead, etc.
  • The end result can be dramatic interactions, with a reasonable narrative flow, which also engage on a game-y front.

---

But now for some tasty counterpoint:

Here's Alex Thomas, writer/designer for The Banner Saga series, reacting to that video on the SA forum:

Originally Posted by (My bold)
Oh hey, something I'm somewhat qualified to talk about; I wrote the Banner Saga and have worked at BioWare. I also know Jon Ingold! On the first Banner Saga we used Inklewriter (his branching dialogue program) and even had them develop some features for us. I coincidentally watched the video already.

From the point of view of his talk, I think it's very well presented with some great ideas about structure and remembering to convey the intent of the story. I agree with his assessment that most game writing is "bad", but I don't think it's the developer's fault. It's not because the games industry is filled with amateurs compared to other industries. Game writing is a casualty of game development, to the point where most developers "give up" on good writing because it's extraordinarily hard, resource-intensive and only a small percentage of your audience even cares about it in the first place (for most games). In fact, it's a liability- if you don't try to make a good story, your audience shrugs and doesn't care and still has a good time. But god help you if you try to write a good story, because suddenly everyone becomes a literature professor.

As some comments have already mentioned, the fact that tv or movies is a linear experience lets you precision-tune the pacing to your exact needs, and pacing is king. If the story beats are "off" by even a minute or two everything falls apart and feels wrong. Some directors can make exceptions that work, with extraordinary effort. Now take even the most simple gaming experience- maybe you're engaged in dialogue, then expected to walk to the next bit of dialogue. The player can ruin this in a million ways. They can get distracted by the environment, or side content, or just have to reload a couple times or engage in actual gameplay. Imagine a movie where the protagonist grinds mobs for literally 20 minutes between conversations, or a movie where you watch him drive his entire commute to work for 15 solid minutes while nothing happens. This is 90% of what makes up most games.

There are other issues he doesn't have time to mention, beyond the actual quality of the writing. A movie is a passive experience- the viewer doesn't have to understand what is going on for it to end the right way. A lot of movies will even intentionally confuse the viewer. A game player needs constant motivation, they need direction, they need to always know what they're doing or so-help-me-god they will feel lost and blame the game. Presenting all this information to a player through dialogue is extremely unnatural. Take the Assassin's Creed example: the speaker has awkward, ham-fisted lines telling Kassandra where to go- twice- and at the end of the conversation the player is still probably thinking "wtf am I suppose to do?". We give them literal GPS so they don't get lost. In a movie, all the viewer has to do is try and keep up with the narrative, not direct the movie themselves.

Additionally, what a character says in a game, and what they do, are completely at odds. To fill hundreds of hours of gameplay, the player performs an impossible series of tasks, from killing hundreds of people, or being essentially invincible to not needing food, shelter, sleep, entertainment or companionship. In an RPG we steal everything we can find and then have to pretend to care about an NPC being hanged for thievery. The player will naturally make decisions that are good for gameplay, even if they make no sense in the context of a story. Then, in conversation, the player has to pretend that their character is a real, relatable human being. How, exactly, do we expect good writing to erase this? These things sit poorly in the back of our minds, and we start to think the writing must be bad.

Movies or books often give the viewer a wide breadth of things to think about : feelings, relationships, different aspects of life. Games usually funnel down into retreads of the same tiny number of plot points which accommodate gameplay. How many games stories are about either survival or duty (such as saving the world)? How many times can you be impressed by a story trying to tell you the same exact thing? Movies can offer an almost infinite spectrum of topics that make up good stories, games offer: survival or duty.

Agency is its own entire can of worms I could write a whole book about. Being able to come up with a plan or goal on our own and then act on it is what makes us real people. In a movie, the protagonist has complete agency, to the point that the viewer themself often doesn't know what he intends to do. Their motivation does not have to match the viewer's motivations. In a game, if you tell someone to take on a role they'll inject themselves. Take something like Fallout 4, where the conceit is that your child was stolen from you, and you have to find out what happened to them. In a movie- perfectly reasonable premise. As a game, a prime example of bad writing; most players didn't come to Fallout to roleplay looking for a baby. And as this relates to agency- even in a sandbox game, we're constantly told what to do. We cannot come up with our own solution to find our son, we can only perform the series of tasks handed to us. Every moment that doesn't feel like our own decisions are playing out in believable ways comes across as bad writing. A narrative can only be hand-held so many times before it begins to feel subconsciously artificial.

So on that topic, there's also the fact that gamers are coming at a game experience from so many different directions. In a movie, you have one option: just let it all wash over you. At the end, decide whether you enjoyed it or not. In a game, some players want to control the situation. Some will want to "play along" with the story. Some are just trying to figure out which choices will make the characters ****, some are spamming the "next" button to get back to the action. Good luck accommodating all these things- and believe me, the number of kind, lovely players who come into a game willing to experience the creator's vision is the minority at best. Most are trying to "win" the conversation, or bend the game to their will. Ingold's idea of giving players an accept/reject/deflect option isn't bad, and a lot of story-driven games do this (like old BioWare). But it also leads to a character who can feel bi-polar, because their responses from one conversation to the next can swing wildly, and this again leans into a subconscious feeling that the writers are at fault for bad writing. The alternative- giving the character a consistent personality or attitude- takes away player choice and will frustrate players who don't want to role-play that personality. See: LA Noire, in which I thought Cole was a wonderfully consistent protagonist, but which many players considered "terrible writing".

Lastly, anyone who has made a game can tell you how hard it is to communicate even the most simple ideas in an interactive environment, much less complex ones. If a player is confused by something, it's bad writing. If your writing is so simple that everyone understands it, it's bad writing.

In conclusion, when gamers say that games have "bad writing" what they're really saying (most of the time- this is a generalization) is that the game didn't meet their expectations. They wanted to do or say something they couldn't, they expected the game to respond in unreasonable and infinite ways, their character behaved in a way that they wouldn't, or they expected movie-level subtext and pacing from a medium that simply can't deliver it. All the things that we easily accept from a linear experience like movies, tv or books are brought into question in an interactive one.

It's my opinion after doing this for nearly 20 years and having more experience with branching, interactive writing than most people on the planet, that game writing will never be as "good" as bespoke movies, tv or books. There is no secret-sauce combination of words that will somehow be more effective at delivering a written story than a non-interactive experience. However, games deliver an unique experience. If you can overlook the inherent flaws, and stop yourself from overthinking things, you get to be a part of the story. That non-passive experience can be a truly powerful and personal one, and occasionally a better one than anything a passive experience can provide.

Thanks for taking the time to read my take on it, and hopefully I didn't come across as too arrogant!

Cursory Conclusion:

I think he's totally right there, those are the two main approaches we've got. Defined characters who ultimately over-ride 'personality' choices (RDR, Witcher 3 etc), and shapeless cyphers who we can steer more freely, but who lack emotion or narrative hooks as a result (Fallout 4 etc etc).

Ingold's focus on knowing your subtext beat map, striving to retain conversational flow, and gamifying what is ultimately a pre-determined path, all seem to hold promise to me though. I could see how you could get flashes of drama, a chance of an over-arching emotional flow, and a side-order of player interaction in the mix that way. It would all strengthen the 'play the character' approach ultimately, but could perhaps at least improve the weak-points of the 'player as character' approach.

Ultimately I think someone needs to mirror the RDR trick (story about a man who has no real choice...), and write a story about someone who doesn't know who they are . (Doesn't matter if your responses are incoherently varied if the whole narrative is about you being an unpredictable flake )

Game of the year?

Although it's on the Epic store. Because geese are bastards.

WARNING: spoilers below
I don't care about the Epic flap. I'm just too lazy to install yet another bloaty launcher

Yeah, I don't care much about the Epic stuff, either, and I find most people's reactions to it to be absolutely absurd. Competition is good, and the inconvenience of downloading it is really, really minor, especially compared to all the games they're giving away for free, which is reason enough to have it.

Yeah, I don't care much about the Epic stuff, either, and I find most people's reactions to it to be absolutely absurd. Competition is good, and the inconvenience of downloading it is really, really minor, especially compared to all the games they're giving away for free, which is reason enough to have it.
Yeah if I was flat gaming I'd have tried it by now for sure. Will have a nose if indie VR stuff starts heading there etc. (I'm definitely on the 'sale buy' end for VR titles though, so a site leaning to exclusives has less cachet for me right now).

The extra cut for (smaller) dev houses is all good though.

Yeah, the economics of Steam have shifted. I've hard some pretty stark stuff, like the median new release making about $20-25K. That's just not enough if a game takes more than even a year to make OR has more than one person involved, which most do. The Epic bonus thing is a mild inconvenience for consumers, it's coupled with tons of free (and good!) games, and it's letting a lot of people finish their games and be moderately well compensated without taking a huge personal financial risk. I'm fine with it and I think the people who are mad are being pretty short-sighted.

My only real issue with Epic is that the launcher is pants. Utter rubbish.

I've got Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG and Battlenet all installed on my PC and, y'know what? My gaming experience hasn't really been lessened by having to click my mouse to start a new launcher.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is the way to go anyway - It amalgamates all the popular clients, even Xbox and PS4.