Television Tab

Tools    

The truth is in here
MADtv - Episode #1.1

At the network's demands, we see two people scrambling together cast members at the very last minute, literally picking strangers up from the street. Of course, we all know they are anything but strangers in real life, especially now. Some of them would last for a good few years, others left after only two seasons.

When I saw this pilot for the first time, I knew there was something special about this show. The sketches range from amusing to making me cry with laughter. One particularly inspired one spoofs Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction, and merges them together to Gump Fiction. Combining Forrest's charm and making him into a coldblooded killer is absolutely genius. Orlando Jones is just as funny playing Vincent Jules when he wants to know what shrimp is called in France but never getting an answer. The best part however has to be the incredibly dark but also funny recreation of the Kennedy assassination, with Forrest remarking he "was aiming for Jackie".

Other highlights include a fan getting demolished after a rough week with his favorite band Poison, an insanely rude and racist cashier at Vancom coming up with some of the funniest meanspirited insults I've heard, Star Trek: Deep Stain Nine and the chainsmoking mom whose daughter's gotten lung cancer. I want to talk a little more about that last one. The husky voice Mary Scheer puts on as the mom Mrs. Jewel Barone is hilarious, as well as her as complete naivety over how her daughter could have gotten lung cancer. The twist at the end when she gets mouth cancer instead since she kicked smoking in favor of chewing tobacco is the icing on the cake.
Kato Kaelin has an amusing guest appearance where he "speaks his mind". The intense buildup throughout the episode and deflating payoff when it turns out he doesn't have anything important to say at all except odd and peculiar observations makes it work especially well.

Per the spirit of the magazines, there are nice little animated shorts featuring Spy Vs. Spy and slapstick drawn in the style of Don Martin.

Two raving MAD thumbs up.

9.5/10, rounded up to

A word to the wise, if there's an advertising exec in television who's listening:

Lately I've noticed you are using a number of birds ( or bird facsimiles ) to advertise products and/or services. It started with a duck. Who had no relation whatsoever to the product being sold.

Then recently I noticed a turkey. Dancing. Or sort of hopping. Doing, I suppose - the 🙄....turkey trot. Advertising- I dunno what . I was too engrossed in the turkey 's attempt to do an allamande left to notice.

I've also seen an ostrich like big bird passing thru the tv screen landscape- altho I don't think it's an ostrich ; maybe it's an emu. Why this uber bird was there, I have no clue. So now I don't know either what the bird is or what they're selling.

Here's the thing: no one is paying attention to whatever you're selling in these commercials - we're just looking at the birds! None of these avian advertisements make any sense at all, and now with the ostrich ...or emu.....or rhea .... say, maybe it's a rhea....I have to consult the Audubon handbook of exotic birds
just to identify the species.

Hey I get it . Cute things sell other
( not as cute) things. Babies sell Pampers. Or baby food. Or even shampoo for those with delicate baby fine hair. It makes sense.

I even get the gecko thing. Ok, it's car insurance, but the names are so close, it sorta makes sense . Also there is a definite link jmho between insurance salesmen and lizards.

But you're using birds to shill products that have no relation to the bird atall.

Maybe it's just me but I think that these commercials were. ....do I dare to say it ....hatched by bird brains.They are totally
( groan ) ........for the birds!
So in the future, I would humbly suggest if you want to have a bird sell something- make it birdseed. Or birdbaths ( the likes of which @cricket is scrubbing and cursing and hosing down right this very minute)

Or even getaways in the mountains where the birds are winging and singing right before your humble ( but well appointed) vacation cottage. By the pond. In the scented pine .

And where I wish I was right now
Oh if only I could fly.

The truth is in here
Laverne & Shirley - Squiggy In Love

It's hard not to feel some sort of sympathy for Lenny and Squiggy. Even though they're obviously sleazy and have little to no self-awareness of how poor their attempts to pick up girls are, you believe they deserve some sort of happiness as well.

Two episodes earlier we saw Lenny get his heart broken after he realized Laverne doesn't actually love him. This time Squiggy is the one who mistakenly thinks he's found love, though the siuation is a bit different.

Seeing everyone's shocked reactions every time Squiggy comes with good news about his new relationship and hearing Vivian brimming with enthusiasm every time she sees him is hilarious. I particularly love how they keep telling themselves it's none of their business, only to move the table closer and closer so they can hear what the two of them are saying. It's all a little too good to be true.

Shirley's eventually forced to confront her dear Squigman when he still can't see he's being emotionally manipulated for money. The revelation that he knew all along he was used but went along with it anyway because he's never been that lucky before to wind up with a beautiful woman is quite sad, and offers a rare break from his usually unwavering confidence. His mindset is "take all the luck you can get", but Shirl tries to convince him he can be only be lucky with someone who actually cares about him. As expected, he will hear none of it and presses on with Vivian anyway.
Thankfully, when his friends all watch with worried looks as she tries to make him buy her a refrigerator, he finally has enough and tells her off. It makes me think of the ending to Hi, Neighbor: Book II where Squiggy yells at his date for ditching him, this time perhaps used to even better effect. I found myself cheering for Squiggy when reclaiming the little bit of dignity he has left. Everyone are happy that he stood up for himself, though it's quickly spoiled when he misunderstands Shirley's intention as she says he can buy her an ice cream. "Buy you an ice cream! You women are all the same!"

There's also a subplot about Shirley trying to re-ignite the spark in her relationship with Carmine when she hears how much fun Laverne and Ted Nelson are having together. The scene where Carmine brings some firewood so they can roast marshmallows contains some very funny awkward humor, with Shirley being too much of a stickler to appreciate the romantic gesture.
But they do have a really nice time together later on, going out to a romantic place and... look at the stars. Laverne trying to conceal her disappointment when she hears it didn't lead to any necking is amusingly portrayed by Penny Marshall's slightly unsure smile.
It has a great ending where Shirley gets reason to fret about how "boring" their relationship is again when Laverne runs home excitedly proclaiming she just rescued three kids from a burning building.

Laverne & Shirley - Squiggy In Love
Nicely written! And I love that photo you used too. I only vaguely remember that episode where Squiggy gets used by Vivian. I liked the episode you mentioned where Lenny's in love with Laverne and she has to let him down easy. Laverne and Lenny are always good when just the two of them have scenes together.

Have you seen the one where Laverne thinks she's pregnant and Lenny says he'll stand by her and marry her? That one was so touching, I still think about that episode from time to time. I really like Lenny and Squiggy myself. Squiggy is so bonkers that his own self disillusion makes him funny. Lenny does have a sympathetic spot and you can tell deep down inside he's a good person. I always image that at the very end of Laverne and Shirley there was another episode that never aired, and in that one Laverne realizes she does love Lenny and they get married and live happily ever after

Finished series 2, enjoyed it just as much as the first series.

and also finally finished series 1 of What We Do In The Shadows, started off a bit so so for me but got funnier as it went on.

The truth is in here
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Escape From Leprechaupolis

Frylock gets a mysterious email telling him to "get to the damn park" to receive a pot of gold. Immediately suspicious, he decides to investigate where it comes from after Carl comes flying landing on his roof.

This is where Aqua Teen Hunger Force really settled into its groove. Shake becomes more threatening towards Meatwad, and just like Carl acts like a gullible idiot refusing to listen to Frylock's warning him not to follow the rainbow. Meatwad is endearingly cheery when he rambles on about how rainbows are a symbol of happiness. The dialogue is witty and appropriately silly, both with the trio and the bickering leprechaun, where one of them's only interested in collecting people's shoes. They also take another dig at the false pitch of this being a "detective show", where the evidence of the leprechauns being the muggers is clear as day, but Shake ignores it in favor of stealing a gold chain.

Carl gets the short end of the stick as usual. He gets thrown across the sky and hurts his back, the Aqua Teens are still using his pool, and once the leprechauns get the machine to work again, they take his house. His bad luck would be tragic if it wasn't so absurdly over-the-top, which is why it makes me laugh every time.

But the funniest part has to be when Shake dresses up Meatwad in fancy clothes in hopes of attracting women, coming up with incredibly unflattering pick-up lines. The meat dripping out of the jacket is a nice extra touch.

Season 1 was very impressive. Saw quite a bit of season 2, but then bailed out. Preferred the premise of season 1 rather than the action solely being between Villanelle & Eve.

The truth is in here
Mork & Mindy - Dr. Morkenstein

Feeling lonely working as a night guard, Mork gives a robot part of the exhibit (named Chuck) human emotions. When he learns he's getting dismantled next week, he agrees to take him out and experience what life is all about.

This starts off as your typical wacky Mork & Mindy episode. There's some humorous friendly banter between Mork and Chuck, and Mindy's skepticism and horror over having a giant robot live in the apartment is priceless. It's not helped by Chuck constantly throwing Mork across the living room by accident.

She does feel sorry for him when she hears about his oncoming fate, so she lets him stay as long as he gets a job. Mork gets the idea of making him an attraction at The New York Deli. But things get out of hand when he starts malfunctioning and insults people and answers questions incorrectly. This is where a complete tonal shift takes place, as Mork and Mindy are forced to realize he doesn't have enough mental capacity to survive in the outside world for much longer. He's taken back to the museum, and Mindy tells Mork to take out his circuits. Chuck insists however he'd rather die naturally. Robin Williams has one of the best acting moments of his entire career as he can't stand the sight of Chuck suffering, and feeling just as scared of losing him as Chuck is of dying. I was getting really choked up during this whole scene. Roddy McDowall does an equally amazing job voicing the robot, expressing its feelings with vigor and passion.

Even the report at the end is a lot bleaker than we're used to. Orson wonders why Mork can't just build a new friend, and he tells him it's hard to replace someone you've nurtured and had so close to you. But no matter what, Chuck will always be left in Mork's heart. It's a very touching and meaningful epilogue.

@Citizen Rules

Mork & Mindy - Dr. Morkenstein
Hey that's Robby the Robot from Foridden Planet (1956). I use to watch Mork & Mindy first run, way back in the day...But I don't remember that episode, sounds like a good one though. Are you watching all seasons of M & M?

The truth is in here
Yeah, he's quite popular in TV shows and movies.

As for Mork & Mindy, I own the complete series box set, so I'm going through every episode.

The truth is in here
My Three Sons - Lady Engineer

Steve learns that he's going to work with a Dr. Johnson, and is surprised to learn she's a woman, though certainly not put off. As they start to work together he develops a crush on her, but don't know how to make her like him.

When we saw Steve in the pilot, he was very apprehensive and even scared of dating. But this episode proves to be a game changer as he thinks he might have found his next big love. I think Steve is positively adorable here, as we for the first time see him act really nervous around someone, and embarrass himself on one occasion when he tries to give his "business meeting" with Dorothy a romantic feel. Her quiet observation and his subsequent reaction when he discovers she's been watching the whole time is comedy gold. Though you also feel bad for Steve since he wanted the dinner to be special, but after she sees him he can no longer follow through with the romantic gesture and sits down to do paperwork with her.

On their last day before she has to go the airport we get a really cute scene where they're tired after working all night. Steve gets the idea of them going out late for lunch, and offers to drive. He has such a gut feeling that everything is going in the right direction and kisses her on the mouth. But instead of kissing back she just casually accepts it, maybe not sure how she should respond. It hints at an imbalance in their relationship, or maybe Dorothy not feeling ready to settle down with someone yet.

When she leaves an hour in advance instead of letting Steve drive her to the airport, you find yourself sympathizing with his hurt and disappointment. That someone he thought was "the one" doesn't seem to want anything more to do with him.

Mike and Robbie are up to their usual hijinks plugging and unplugging the dishwasher, and Bub is complaining about all the dirty laundry. It's a neccessary bit of levity to not let Steve's downfall weigh on you to much. But we do get a somewhat happy ending when Chip gives him a note with a message Dorothy left him written down, suggesting that maybe they'll cross paths again. It's a little bittersweet for me considering we never see Dorothy again, but is a pleasant ending to a very pleasant episode.

Does a Netflix mini-series count as TV? This mini-series based on a true story is exceptionally good. 3 female leads excellent. Not a false note in the series. Great reviews & I agree with all of them.

The truth is in here
Sure it does.

SpongeBob SquarePants - SpongeBob Meets The Strangler/Pranks A Lot

After SpongeBob is threatened by a litterer he got arrested, he looks after a bodyboard. Unfortunately, the one he finds is the strangler disguised.

SpongeBob Meets The Strangler is a masterpiece. It's kinda similiar to The Bully, except even more sadistic since the guy who's after SpongeBob wants to outright kill him. It sounds gruesome, but has the incredible twist of him unwittingly torturing the strangler with his stupidity. My favorite joke easily is him wearing spiked shoes for no reason at all and getting them stuck in his eyes... for 6 hours. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been. Then there's the neverending string of parties as the strangler begs to be alone with SpongeBob and getting stalked by him as he still thinks he's his bodyguard. They really make him the most naive idiot ever, but that's the reason it's so great.

Pranks A Lot is really funny too. SpongeBob and Patrick take up pranking, and after scaring a guy with invisible spray, they start pretending they are ghosts. As usual with these kind of stories it's the reactions of the villagers that sells it. One that especially stands out is the montage of everyone screaming "Ghost!", except one guy who says "Toast!" instead oddly enough. They go really overboard scaring Mr. Krabs, going so far as to block all exits so he can't escape. The twist at the end where Krabs pretends he'll forget about the whole thing just to invite everyone to stare at them in the nude is a genius sadistic move.

Hillenburg would return for season 9, but as a finale to his original tenure it couldn't go out on a much stronger note.

Watched 3 episodes of season 5. Totally lame. 1st one was just ok though a daft ending. 2nd one bore no resemblance whatsoever to the original premise of the show. Miley Cyrus very cute in 3rd one, but not cute enough for me to finish it.

The truth is in here
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Mayhem Of The Mooninites

Without the slightest bit of doubt, Shake invites the Mooninites (Ignignokt and Err) to come live with them. Frylock already doesn't like this idea, and his patience wears even thinner when he sees the bad influence they have on Meatwad.

Mayhem introduces my favorite side characters of the entire series: The Mooninites. I love the idea of a couple of aliens acting like rebellious teenagers, doing things like stealing television sets, smoking and flipping off people. Meatward trying to follow suit so he'll fit in adds an extra layer of comedy, since he's doing such a bad job at it. His idea of a "gnarly tattoo" is a clown riding a unicycle. And Shake as usual is way too trusting of strangers, letting the Mooninites do literally whatever they want, including ruining Frylock's computer (though he just as likely would do that himself eventually). Carl's annoyance with the two troublemakers makes for some great comedy too when he first complains about the message carved into his car and then gets hit by the Quad laser and vanishes.

Speaking of the Quad laser, the battle between Frylock and the Mooninites at the end is so geniusly anti-climactic, Frylock defeating their pathetic attack with ease. But hey, at least they got to flip him off all the way up in space. If he can see it, that is.

Only the first of the Mooninites' escapades, there would be several more hysterical ones to come.

The truth is in here
SpongeBob SquarePants - Fear Of A Krabby Patty/Shell Of A Man

After Mr. Krabs sees that The Chum Bucket plans to be open 23 hours a day, he decides to top it by making The Krusty Krab stay open 24/7. It turns out to be one of Plankton's usual tricks though ti make SpongeBob so mentally exhausted he'll give him the Krabby Patty formula...

Fear Of A Krabby Patty is amazing. SpongeBob pinching himself repeatedly to "make sure" he's not dreaming, Squidward having bags upon bags under his eyes and SpongeBob continuing to imagine Mr. Krabs as a giant Krabby Patty are all hilarious bits. There is also the montage of the Krusty Krab employees getting more and more tired after being forced to keep at it for as long as they can. Old Man Jenkins' confusion over being there all of a sudden and floating away especially was funny. The highlight is when Plankton acts as SpongeBob's psychiatrist P. Lankton (the fact that Krabs gets fooled by such a similiar name is incredible) to "cure" him of his fear, meaning forcing the formula out of him. There's a wonderfully strange joke where first SpongeBob gets a piano out of nowhere to smash Plankton with after his paranoia gets the bettee of him, then when he rearranges all the cards he's been given he makes a piano out of them. The fact that it just tips over by itself is the best part. He's cured when he falls asleep and one of the patties he's been fearing so much is friendly towards him. There's an amusing reference to E.T. when the patty says he'll always be here... in his arteries.

I can't leave without talking about the excellent animation. It looks different from any other episode, neither like the newer ones nor completely like the older ones. It has a style of its own. The facial expressions alone makes this segment really funny, such as SpongeBob's excitement over having to work at Krusty Krab all the time.

Shell Of A Man has Mr. Krabs coming out of his shell... quite literally. He's getting so fat he can't fit in it anymore and feels too embarrassed to go on the reunion. When SpongeBob tries it on however, he gets the idea to make SpongeBob act as like him in front of his navy peers.

The premise holds some great promise, and it certainly delivers. Krabs' annoyance at SpongeBob impersonating him a little too well already gets it off to an humorous start, and it gets even more comical when he has to show himself as tough as possible at the reunion, even if it breaks him. The acceptance speech he holds after receiving a prize pocal is hysterical. Even as good at impersonating as he is, he just can't refrain himself from talking about bubbles and jellyfishing. When Krabs finally admits to conning everybody out of shame, they all start revealing their own hidden flaws. They admire him for telling them he's not perfect. I like how even though he's now on the same level as them, he still feels superior at the end since his shell will grow back. Unlike his navy pals who can't fix their problems as easily.

This episode proves while the show did decline, it didn't happen as quickly as many people say. Fear Of A Krabby Patty is surreal cleverness at its best, and Shell Of A Man does remind me a bit of Mid-Life Crustacean, but still stands out as a great and actually kinda sweet segment since Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob feel like friends rather than boss and loyal employee.

Terrific premiere to season 4.

9.5/10, rounded up to

"Luck don't live out here."

Has anyone watched Hulu's Looking for Alaska series? Besides the fact that they foreshadow a huge moment of the story in the first episode, I actually feel like this is one of the rare book adaptations where the adaptation is better than the book it's based on.The story is adapted from the book almost page for page with only a few changes. The soundtrack is killer, especially if you grew up in the early 2000s. And, for a YA focused story, they nailed the emotional impact of the second half of the story. This has to be one of the best teen drama shows released in a long time.

Score: 8.5/10