No Man's Sky

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
You can say that again! The more play, the more I am astounded by this game. Meanwhile, it is janky as hell! it has gotten better over the past week or so for me, but there is still clearly a lot of work to be done to get this thing polished. That said, aside from the super-annoying "Can't recharge my Hazard Protection" bug, the state of the game hasn't really been much of a distraction as I play. I am just having too much fun playing to really notice.

I am slowing saving enough to start looking for an S-Class Freighter, as the one I have currently is just too damned small. It's tough to do the expeditions, as whenever my fleet returns, I don't seem to have room to get all the goodies they bring back, so I have to juggle **** around into my pack and then back out again.

I have close to 150 million units, so I think Ia m close to being able to get the big ship...if I can find one, that is!
Genuinely loving it . It really does pile on the pain though.

I'm not even far enough in to this save to have hit the major bugs, but I've found plenty of oddities (just now my ship decided to fly straight into the planet and then immediately take off again )

The freighter mechanics are still pretty much a foreign world to me, although I just had a tower fly-by past my first swarm of 'em. I've got my hands full just understanding what half of the new systems and narratives are.

VR adds a whole layer of blarg on top (the view literally melts when it can't maintain 90fps per eye, or judders like someone's hitting the world with a stick repeatedly :/). But then it rescues it all with the crazy mushroom trees looping over your head, and the shock of a tiny sentient pineapple barking next to your shin

A system of cells interlinked
I have pineapples just outside my base door! Will post the screens with the rest...eventually!

These planet-rise horizons are such a great way to log out from a session

---

I'm kinda at a fork in the road right now. I wanna build some exocraft (I've unlocked 2), but that makes me feel like I should find a fun planet for my second base. (My original idyllic planet is gorgeous, but it's also mainly water...)

If I understand it right then scanning for mining locations etc is best done via the exos, so I can't really get a money pit until I've done that?

So I'm thinking I'll just tool up my B-class fighter a bit. And see if I can get these VR flight controls to just be half wonky... and then get into a fight

I set up my mining base without exocraft. I do have a few exocraft, but they are on another planet, so I just trudged around until I found the proper sites to link together and then worked on getting a teleporter going pretty quickly so I didn't have to run back and forth.

Also...

"Bug fixes

Fixed a number of issues where technology was not being correctly detected in exosuits and starships after being moved around or between inventories. This includes being unable to recharge hazard protection."

Woot!

I set up my mining base without exocraft. I do have a few exocraft, but they are on another planet, so I just trudged around until I found the proper sites to link together and then worked on getting a teleporter going pretty quickly so I didn't have to run back and forth.

Also...

"Bug fixes

Fixed a number of issues where technology was not being correctly detected in exosuits and starships after being moved around or between inventories. This includes being unable to recharge hazard protection."

Woot!
Yeah the little-but-big fixes are coming downstream

Ok cool. I'm probably muddling up my scanner upgrades. Will just learn through random tinkering

Yeah the little-but-big fixes are coming downstream

Ok cool. I'm probably muddling up my scanner upgrades. Will just learn through random tinkering
Make sure to get the Survey upgrade, and then you need to switch modes when you have the scanner activated to get into survey mode. After that, it's just a matter of finding the right hotspots, of which there are a few. Gas, Mineral, Power etc.

Make sure to get the Survey upgrade, and then you need to switch modes when you have the scanner activated to get into survey mode. After that, it's just a matter of finding the right hotspots, of which there are a few. Gas, Mineral, Power etc.
Ah ok cool, that's the one I had my eye on. I can definitely see how a dirty mining base could prove useful

Had a quick go on the new update. The VR improvements are definitely there, but definitely still not all the way up to 11. Could at least fly down a valley without it turning into attack of the lego blocks though, for a start. That was grand . Generally getting to enjoy the explorer vibe much more without judder rudely interrupting just because I ran up a hill. Was loving hanging out on that last planet I was on

(Then I got to an ice planet with heavy tree cover and it kinda went to jank again. And then my ship did the forced landing thing again, and now insta-lands again every time I take off again. Hopefully it un-janks when I try again tonight, otherwise I'm kinda stuck )

EDIT: Oh, it seems the full VR fixes aren't actually on the patch list, just some of the older ones. Hopefully more honey to come then

Ah ok cool, that's the one I had my eye on. I can definitely see how a dirty mining base could prove useful

Had a quick go on the new update. The VR improvements are definitely there, but definitely still not all the way up to 11. Could at least fly down a valley without it turning into attack of the lego blocks though, for a start. That was grand . Generally getting to enjoy the explorer vibe much more without judder rudely interrupting just because I ran up a hill. Was loving hanging out on that last planet I was on

(Then I got to an ice planet with heavy tree cover and it kinda went to jank again. And then my ship did the forced landing thing again, and now insta-lands again every time I take off again. Hopefully it un-janks when I try again tonight, otherwise I'm kinda stuck )
Yikes! Sounds annoying!

I think we are probably getting close to being able to attempt some multi-player soon? We can try to build a silly little base or something...I will have to try to figure out some definite play time so i will have an idea of when i can pull off some game time..

Yikes! Sounds annoying!

I think we are probably getting close to being able to attempt some multi-player soon? We can try to build a silly little base or something...I will have to try to figure out some definite play time so i will have an idea of when i can pull off some game time..
Definitely closer! I think I'll have to start a Survival run so we're in the same mode, or vice versa. Yeah syncing is gonna be a bit tricksy. What time zone are you? I'm BST.

e: PS some of the general emergent chaos / chill time from just doing some Nexus missions could be cool too

I am EST - I live just outside of Boston.
D'oh yeah of course

Cool 5 hours difference is do-able for sure. I'll start negotiating chat time with my missus . Weekends work best for you yeah?

D'oh yeah of course

Cool 5 hours difference is do-able for sure. I'll start negotiating chat time with my missus . Weekends work best for you yeah?
For sure. I know we got some Second Life time in together about 500 years ago, so we pulled it off at some point!

For sure. I know we got some Second Life time in together about 500 years ago, so we pulled it off at some point!
Damn right

---

So I got a ton done tonight. But the highlight was probably getting my first exo up and running. Quick trip report...

Not an encouraging start...

It's all true! Who cares if the handling's tier 0 down here. I found a weird crab thing that'd been eluding me, and grabbed a load of rares. Only one problem...

Getting stuck on a vertical next to a thermal vent :/. Nearly died very ignominiously...

---

Anyways I've slapped down a load of tech, seen some serene and peculiar scenes, and I'm ready to sally out and find even more

But it wouldn't be a trip report without a VR UI bug reminiscence

Gigantified avatars are cool, but not when they block your menu view

And that's not the half of it with VR. For some esoteric reason every walking NPC I interact with, and every box with UI, and every portal, I get flipped 180 degrees away from them and have to turn back around.

VR games are like being inside a leprechaun's pocket sometimes. Properly capricious

Before you start a Survival game, perhaps we should take a head count of who wants to participate, see what mode everyone likes best, and defer to the majority?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Before you start a Survival game, perhaps we should take a head count of who wants to participate, see what mode everyone likes best, and defer to the majority?
I *think* I've solved my performance issues - It was either me re-enabling the xml edit after the latest patch or (and I think this has something to do with it) changing my VSYNC from triple buffered to adaptive. It's now running at a solid 60fps (capped) on Ultra.

Because of all this, I've only logged in around an hour of a new save so I'm probably WAY behind all you lot.

I am a good 90 hours into my game, so it might make sense for me to start another save to play with you folks. Let's figure out the mode we want to play in, and then we can decide how to proceed.

My vote: Survival

Check in @Yoda, @Golgot, @Austruck, @Tacitus

I am a good 90 hours into my game, so it might make sense for me to start another save to play with you folks. Let's figure out the mode we want to play in, and then we can decide how to proceed.

A mere 12 hrs in to Standard for me, due to pesky holidays, so I'm cool with starting another just for multi. That said for now:

My vote: Standard adventure mode

Just because VR performance is melty under duress, so its challenging enough as it is

PS I reckon we'll be lucky to get Aus anywhere but creative mode

I'd be in, yeah! Still super novice, need to pick it back up but worried about the RSI stuff during fall softball, but otherwise very interested.

I'd be in, yeah! Still super novice, need to pick it back up but worried about the RSI stuff during fall softball, but otherwise very interested.
Have access to a controller? I have the same issue when I game too much with a mouse, but the controller solves all that for me.

The Adventure Starts Here!
PS I reckon we'll be lucky to get Aus anywhere but creative mode

Totally true. I'm still a noob, even in creative mode! I'm in charge of 70+ authors for a big book festival tomorrow, so the past month-plus has been essentially a no-game zone for me.

Let alone moving to Survival mode in this game! Go ahead without me on this one. If I ever catch up (ha ha), I'll let you know.