Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left

Tools    

...Discusses the idea that violent video game communities that are far-right are a greater risk than the games themselves...
I don't get this sentence? 'greater risk' from what? Can you explain that a bit more.

You ready? You look ready.
Violent video games have been shown in countless studies to have little to no effect on a person’s propensity for violence. But there is a risk, an unexamined one, that communities built around violent video games could be responsible for indoctrinating youth. It goes back to what @Sedai said in his 4 bullet points at the top of the last page.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Violent video games have been shown in countless studies to have little to no effect on a person’s propensity for violence. But there is a risk, an unexamined one, that communities built around violent video games could be responsible for indoctrinating youth. It goes back to what @Sedai said in his 4 bullet points at the top of the last page.
Ah, OK I get it, thanks.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's been years since I've been in college, but I remember in Criminology (one of my majors) that we went deeper and dissected the stats, and crime seemed to be concentrated in "the bad part of town" where you have mass shootings in random places, usually in middle-class areas like Parkland, etc.

Also, many gun deaths are specifically targeted people. I think 4/5 of deaths are people you know.. Could be gang members or your own family, whereas many mass shootings are simply places with a lot of people out, which makes it scarier. Before, if you "kept your nose clean" you'd be fine, but now I hardly ever hear of mass shootings in a ghetto.

You ready? You look ready.
I think that’s kinda the point with mass shootings. It’s an attack against society and systems of power. So their targets are ones of everyday normalcy.

Speaking of crime, our city has had an uptick in organized crime and the number of shootings has risen exponentially. Plenty of local news reports about shoot outs and they are always gang related and usually on their own turf.

If God forbid Kamala Harris ever became the Democratic nominee, what nickname could Donald Trump give her? We already have Pocahontas, Crazy Bernie, and Sleepy Joe. Although I have a soft spot for Cameltoe Harris, I think Trump could risk getting labeled as sexist. Of course, he also has to watch out for the race angle. With her record that Tulsi Gabbard pointed out, I think Trump could go for Clink Clink Harris, and whenever he says it he could put his hands together simulating being handcuffed. It would look similar to someone singing along to The Village People.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
"Kamehameha-HA-rris!!"
???

Maybe a lil too nerdy for the average Trump crowd to grab onto tho. Hm.

asked if she had ever smoked. "I have. And I inhaled, I did inhale. It was a long time ago, but yes," the California Democrat replied.

Realizing the admission might "break news," Harris explained that she smoked a joint in college while listening to Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. However, as someone pointed out on Twitter, Harris graduated Howard University in 1986 and UC Hastings College of the Law in 1989—years before Snoop or Tupac released their debut studio albums.

I think she must gave been doing molly when she said this.

KaMolly Harris.

He's also the guy who wants to pull every video game off every shelf in the country,
because he believes that the video games diminish the intelligence of our youth.
Come on, Dick. It's the only education we got.

Moral is, DON'T BE A DICK, DICK!

there's where we divert opinions. i don't believe that's possible
Except your behavior indicates you do, in two ways:

1) If the truth were not obtainable, you couldn't reasonably express so many confident opinions about what's true.
2) If the truth were not obtainable, there'd be no reason to argue about what's true.

It can't be that we get all circumspect about the truth after someone starts posting facts that aren't aligning with our worldview.

it looks ridiculous, but really depends the angle your looking from
I'd love to hear the angle from which "the CDC is lying about its data" is not ridiculous. It's a government entity, and the data spans decades.

you keep talking about guns and the most important thing i saw in that meme was health care,
i couldn't care less if your killing yourselves, i mean, i care, but not to that extent,
i still don't agree with guns, i don't believe everyone/anyone should possess one, it's an opinion
i mean, when i see people glorifying america and there democracy and there are SO many problems
it amuses me and makes me angry at the same time,
amuses me when i see who actually said it, some patriotic guy that voted for trump because he insultes him without he even realize and makes me angry when is just some rhetorical gownsman with the same ambition and hypocrisy the president he decided to vote
Huh? What's any of this got to do with what I asked? Here's the thing you were (ostensibly) replying to:
And yet you seem to not only have opinions, but very strong ones.
My point is that you argue that data is unreliable, yet still have strong opinions. You quote this point and then...just list a bunch more opinions? I don't get it.

like i said, i don't care about gun violence, i believe it would be worse if they were blades instead,
these are not independent, it was just a two minutes google search, and are from your newspapers,
new york times: nearly 40,000 people died from guns in u.s. last year, highest in 50 years
(didn't actually read the full article, might prove your point, or not)
Two huge problems with this:

First, as Sedai already pointed out, this includes suicides. My number was homicides. So it's not the same thing, and it's a little disconcerting that you're not (apparently) looking at any of this all that closely even while you're in the middle of telling people they're wrong (which you seem to be admitting: "didn't actually read the full article, might prove your point").

Second: you tried to dismiss the numbers I posted because they were from the Washington Post, seemingly just because it's a large newspaper (I asked if you knew anything about the Post, and you didn't reply, and I'm going to assume the answer is "no"). So how can you respond by citing an even larger one? How is The Washington Post suspect, but The New York Times isn't?

You said you trust independent sources. I asked you for an example of one that showed gun homicides going up. This example doesn't fit your criteria for an independent source and doesn't show the thing you're suggesting, either.

I am skeptical. Statistics can be so easily manipulated. This is why I try to stay out of these things. You're already are kinda looking at me funny I bet. A few years back we used to talk data points about climate change. You demonstrated that its pretty easy to manipulate data. And that's true.
I don't want to talk you out of being skeptical of data, because I am, too. And yes, a lot can be easily manipulated. But this seems awfully straightforward: it's the CDC, counting gun homicides. I honestly can't even think of a way, hypothetically, to manipulate that.

The problem I have with the Post and that recounting of facts is not so much their data but the way its portrayed. It may even be true that homicides are down. It doesn't really matter.
I'd be curious to know why it doesn't matter. But anyway, I'm not endorsing any particular framing here yet, just pointing out that gun homicides went way, way down from 1993 to 2013. This doesn't mean we don't have a problem with guns, it just means reality is a lot more complicated and nuanced than the loudest people would have you think.

It also seems to very, very strongly suggest that people's perceptions of this issue are driven by media coverage more than facts. Kinda like terrorist acts, yeah? I assume you agree with the same idea there: that people are disproportionately scared of terrorist acts even though they're rare because they get a lot of coverage. There's obviously something similar happening with shootings.

Shootings are not going down tho are they? I know its hard to track because all of the shootings that don't get reported. Mass shootings are happening more and more frequently too, can we agree? 3 people were shot within a few blocks of me just this week alone. None of them died, so no stats. But I read a story like that and wonder how we can have mass shootings at all? Homicide is down right? So naturally gun violence is also going down right? It paints that picture but that's not what's really happening is it?
I don't quite follow what you mean. IIRC some subsets, like mass shootings (which have a very technical definition, just as a heads-up), are more frequent, or at least aren't dropping like overall gun violence. And that's worth talking about. But from a societal perspective that's a very different problem if gun homicides overall are dropping so much.

Mostly, I'm just trying to show people that anecdotal media coverage is not the way to gauge which things are getting worse, and which things are getting better, overall. The world is too big for that, but it's easy for even very smart people to lose sight of it when this is all they see on the news.

I'd like to point out Joao has made some really good points in this thread. I think some of the disparaging remarks further illustrates our American arrogance.
I dunno, man. If an American was writing off another country so blithely like this, while saying things at odds with the facts and not really being interested in what they were, wouldn't you think that American was being arrogant/ignorant? Maybe you feel these are the right targets, but even if they are, these aren't the right projectiles. A lot of these claims are just false, and I'm not nuts about listening to someone who basically just tells me upfront they aren't going to believe anything I show them.

The dunning kruger effect is particularly high in America when it comes to guns.
I agree, but I see it most in the gun control side. I'm amazed at how many people want to ban guns without being bothered to learn even the most basic definitions of them. Like, it's amazing how many people still have no idea what an assault rifle is.

two years ago this would be gold for me, it would be like christmas in august,
being in a discussion with american's about there polices and there country?- man, wow

you want the trued? america was always something i was/am very curious about,
so many different cultures in the same place, hollywood obviously helped a lot

but what i was/am curious about are the minorities, that's my real curiosity, not the american dream
my opinions are formulated on racism, gentrification, health care, wars of interest a culture of violence

it's like i lived there, my perspectives are there views because they're the people i'm curious about,
try to change there mind... never worked and neither will until you elect someone that thinks about them

but i empathize, i know we owe america for putting pressure on russia, china and middle east,
they're political correct all the time, but they're diabolic when we're talking about human rights

we owe america most of the technological advancements, and there view on a global world,
but we have to think what will come with all that and you, the creator, have to be open to criticism
Credit where its due: I think this is a really thoughtful and mature reply and I really appreciate it. I appreciate the nuance in it.

A system of cells interlinked
I found this be fairly interesting...

Uniform Crime Report

In 2017, 403 people were killed by rifles. In contrast, 1,591 were killed by knives/cutting instruments, and 467 were killed by blunt instruments (clubs, hammers etc.)

Handguns clearly the weapon of choice here, with 7,032 deaths.

I found this be fairly interesting...

Uniform Crime Report

In 2017, 403 people were killed by rifles. In contrast, 1,591 were killed by knives/cutting instruments, and 467 were killed by blunt instruments (clubs, hammers etc.)

Handguns clearly the weapon of choice here, with 7,032 deaths.
Sadly no time to read the article so if you'd be so kind as to expound just a little more ..... just how many were actually killed by uniforms???

What is it Powered Water that you specifically want to say about guns in America?
Well, Citizen Rues... I say we have far to many guns.