Swan Songs

Tools    

Inspired by Matt and TONGO's thread, I'll post a bunch of cool songs here when I feel like it. I don't know how active I'll be with it, and I expect no one to bother with this thread, but if you do, you get +100 cool points.

We'll start with a double dose. An original and a great cover by Feist and Ben Gibbard.

The classic "Train Song" by underrated 70's (edit: 60's not 70's) folk musician Vashti Bunyan. If I remember correctly, at the time people hated Bunyan's debut album featuring the song, which caused her to stop making music entirely until the 2000's when she gained cult status and released another album. I hadn't heard Feist's version until my sister showed it to me about a year ago - when I was already a fan of the Bunyan version. I was also a big Feist fan already. So the combination was to die for. And yeah, it's an amazing cover.

I like jazz. Here's a bit of nu jazz for ya. Actually, I posted it before in the Chill Club - it's a performance of one of their songs, not the studio version, but I think everyone who is a fan of good music should watch this video because it's amazing.

Moon Hooch, or as I like to call them, Mooooooooon Hooch.

Because I had the little sax riff stuck in my head all day yesterday:

I like jazz. Here's a bit of nu jazz for ya. Actually, I posted it before in the Chill Club - it's a performance of one of their songs, not the studio version, but I think everyone who is a fan of good music should watch this video because it's amazing.

Moon Hooch, or as I like to call them, Mooooooooon Hooch.

This is brilliant. The drumming is really impressive but just a question, why does that guy have a traffic cone attached to his instrument?

Keep it up man, I'm really enjoying this thread

In honor of the fact that I got this incredible album on vinyl for a mere 4 bucks yesterday.

You know, my favorite Mars Volta album was always Frances the Mute, and I'd still say that's probably their Dark Side of the Moon, but since I started drumming I think that has changed to Bedlam in Goliath, which I've listened to just as much. Pay attention to Thomas Pridgen's drumming. Fantastic.

We'll start with a double dose. An original and a great cover by Feist and Ben Gibbard.

The classic "Train Song" by underrated 70's folk musician Vashti Bunyan. If I remember correctly, at the time people hated Bunyan's debut album featuring the song, which caused her to stop making music entirely until the 2000's when she gained cult status and released another album. I hadn't heard Feist's version until my sister showed it to me about a year ago - when I was already a fan of the Bunyan version. I was also a big Feist fan already. So the combination was to die for. And yeah, it's an amazing cover.

I like both versions. Vashti has a crystal voice , it's lovely that she had a second time around career where she was appreciated more.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Great idea! I'm listening to Vashti Bunyan, I'm really diggin' this - I was hoping to find great gems, underrated stuff, etc.. Now that I know this song, I can spread it too. I'm hanging out with a music friend of mine, and I'm sure we'll talk about this.

Thanks!

In honor of the fact that I got this incredible album on vinyl for a mere 4 bucks yesterday.

I'm a massive fan of Spanish guitar music. I know next to nothing about artists or anything but I'm entranced by the sound whenever I hear it. We were in Grenada in Spain a while back in a small locals bar someone just pulled out a guitar and started playing and people in the audience took turns at dancing, it was like being in heaven. Almost as good as the time we were in another little bar in Lisbon where a Portugese guy (sadly not Neiba) had taken us to listen to local Fado music. A woman was singing, it was entrancing you could've heard a pin drop, when I looked at the guy he had tears in his eyes. It's a music so close to them. Must be a great feeling.

I have to correct something. Just being honest here. I made a mistake and called Vashti a 70's musician. What happened was I thought she was a 60's musician - which she is, and you can clearly hear it - but when I went to double check I saw her debut album was released in 1970, so thought maybe I was wrong and called her a 70's musician. Turns out "Train Song" was released in '66 as a single, so yeah, I should have put 60's and not 70's.

This is brilliant. The drumming is really impressive but just a question, why does that guy have a traffic cone attached to his instrument?

Keep it up man, I'm really enjoying this thread
The cone is directed that way for the microphone.

I'm a massive fan of Spanish guitar music. I know next to nothing about artists or anything but I'm entranced by the sound whenever I hear it. We were in Grenada in Spain a while back in a small locals bar someone just pulled out a guitar and started playing and people in the audience took turns at dancing, it was like being in heaven. Almost as good as the time we were in another little bar in Lisbon where a Portugese guy (sadly not Neiba) had taken us to listen to local Fado music. A woman was singing, it was entrancing you could've heard a pin drop, when I looked at the guy he had tears in his eyes. It's a music so close to them. Must be a great feeling.
That's awesome. I too love music from other cultures, though I'm not at all an expert on them. I should probably dig more into, say, Spanish music, or Indian music, some time.

The cone is directed that way for the microphone.
But what effect does it have? Does it make the sound any different? Louder maybe? It's the first time I've seen anything like this.

Great song! I'm a big fan of flamenco, and I'm definitely influenced with my music along with Eastern, Middle-Eastern (with Western stuff)

Keep em' comin!

Great song! I'm a big fan of flamenco, and I'm definitely influenced with my music along with Eastern, Middle-Eastern (with Western stuff)

Keep em' comin!
Bro, if you want any recommendations for Middle Eastern music let me know. I'm familiar with Arabic, Turkish and Persian. Although most of what I know is Arabic. It's most of what I listen to these days. I've been listening to some Tajik music lately too.

But what effect does it have? Does it make the sound any different? Louder maybe? It's the first time I've seen anything like this.
I'm not sure, but my impression was that it gives the sax a more "tubey" sound quality. I could be wrong.

Bro, if you want any recommendations for Middle Eastern music let me know. I'm familiar with Arabic, Turkish and Persian. Although most of what I know is Arabic. It's most of what I listen to these days. I've been listening to some Tajik music lately too.
Great!
I love Fairuz - Al Bosta (which reminds me, I should put this on my music thread

If you have recommendations from 60's and 70's, I WILL listen to them, and thank you for life!

Great!
I love Fairuz - Al Bosta (which reminds me, I should put this on my music thread

If you have recommendations from 60's and 70's, I WILL listen to them, and thank you for life!
If you go to Lebanon, Fairuz is played everywhere. It's quite ridiculous how obsessed Lebanese people are with her. Don't get me wrong, she's made a lot of great music. She's one of those artists I grew up listening to a lot.

If you're interested, this is a cool mix of songs from the 60s and 70s that I really like. They are remixes though, not the originals. If you're looking for specific songs or like a compilation of good Arabic music from that era, I'd be happy to name specific songs for you.

Sorry dude I'm just not getting it - not one of those you've listed has been the artist(e)'s swansong

Looking forward to seeing what else you list though