Great directors with the longest drought?

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
And I mean truly top tier directors here who have gone the longest without producing a universally accepted great film. They don't have to have made necessarily bad movies during their drought but just movies that don't quite match up to previous endeavours and/or are not universally lauded or commercial successes.

I'll give an example: Michael Mann, whos most recent movie, Blackhat is being trounced by critics and will barely register at the box office. His last all round top film was probably Collateral, a decade ago.

What do you guys think?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

I will agree with Ridley Scott, but I will say he did a very good job with Blackhawk Down and has not done anything that good since. American Gangster was pretty good, but not great.

But I think the guy who has had the longest drought is Francis Ford Coppola who has not made a great movie since Apocalypse Now in 79.

I forgot about Black Hawk... I watched it last week as well

So... 1982 till whenever BHD was made... over 30 years of drought for Scott?

Joel Schumacher has it in him to be great. Look at The Lost Boys...

Then he churns out total crap and makes mainly straight-to-dvd stuff now.

Spielberg.

I haven't liked any of his movies since Jurassic Park apart from maybe The Lost World. Before that he was awesome.
Lost his edge for fun. It's all about slamming Hitler these days.
Get over it Speely... we get it. You're Jewish.

M. Night Shyalabalabingbong.

Last great thing he did was Signs. The Sixth Sense was palatable and The Village and The Lady In The Water were ok.

He's a director for hire now though. The Happening was bilge.

Master of My Domain
James Cameron.

Titanic is... well you know why and Avatar is so overrated. Hasn't made anything good since True Lies, but even that has its own flaws.

Agree with Rodent on Spielberg. I get he's trying to be serious and mature director but honestly he just needs to lighten up and have fun like the old days, his films influenced me hugely when I was young and it's the Spielberg I miss.

John McTiernan...

Predator, Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October, Medicine Man, Last Action Hero, Die Hard WAV... DHWAV in '95 was the last decent movie he made. He's not made anything since 2003 though, so I don't think he'd count.

He was Midas though in his day.

Master of My Domain
Never really got into Lynch. Gonna get a hammering for that, but hey.

Just kidding, I'm not a fan of Lynch either.

Master of My Domain
What ever happened to Donner?

Lethal Weapons's's's, The Goonies, Superman 1 & 2...

Where'd he go?
Isn't he too old now?

I've just checked on Donner.

The guy is 84 years old

I think he's just producing now tbh. The Donner's Company or something it's called. Him and his Wife.
They produced all the X-Men films I think.

Ooh ooh ooh!

Tim Burton.

Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks (yes, I like it), Sleepy Hollow in 1999 was the last decent movie he made.