Whiplash

Tools    

Premiered at Sundance, now at Cannes. I'm starting to like the look of this one.

Go Miles! Hope it makes it on the awards circuit and he gets some awards love.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

LET ME DRIVE HOME YODA GAWSH. Ok so, not to pull the I-know-a-guy card, but my old drummer went to school doing all percussion, and went through this same kind of program, except he did more than just play, he wrote for a percussion ensemble, he had to play all those different instruments fairly well, and he also won a competition in a jazz band. I have no idea if he's seen this, but to combine what I know about his school and his experience, and my own views as a musician, Whiplash focuses 100000% on discipline as if music is all about being a marine-esque tool where you are utterly disposable if you err.

Based on my friend's schooling, the music program was relaxed, and frankly I've never met a real musician who's not fairly laid back as a person. Obviously there are competitions and things parents involve their children in that overwhelm them, and I'm sure there are some people like Fletcher in the entire world teaching music, but in the education system, he would never ever ever keep his job (and you might say, well he did get fired later, but that couldn't be the only time he was told on, let alone caught on accident).

The sole philosophy of the film boils down to the discussion in the bar where Andrew asks "isn't there a line?" and Fletcher basically says no, and then "the next charlie wouldn't be discouraged," which I just don't understand how you can believe that. Creative people are naturally driven, but they don't put up with abusive influences like Fletcher; I remember a TED talk where Ken Robinson talks about Gillian Lynne (choreographer of Cats amongst others) who was temporarily removed from classes because no one understood why she had alleged behavioral problems, and luckily the doctor recognized she's just creative, and like Ken said "someone else might have put her on drugs and told her to calm down." Someone like Gillian Lynne can be discouraged from becoming who they would be. Really Fletcher's logic can be applied to Nicole too; did Andrew really truly know she would ruin his drum career? That's why she ditched him.

When I was in jazz band, I had a bit of a dick teacher, but he didn't treat people like boot camp scum or throw things around the room. To answer Andrew's question yes there is a line; it's been established that you can't say "good job" all the time, look at America, but you also can't withhold all acknowledgement. Besides, they're playing cover songs - it's a bit reductionist but I don't really care. And for jazz, it didn't feel like jazz, it felt like they were playing the page, that's not music. Music is so much more than reading notes and keeping tempo, and the whole idea of being out of tune was a joke scene, intonation between even the same instruments varies, and it colors the music, and again it's JAZZ, it's supposed to be a little off, duality of loose and tight. The film doesn't acknowledge what goes into musical performance other than "be the best or die trying," being the best is way too individualistic for the musical world. It's nonsense.

EDIT: Not to belittle the stress of preparing for performances, and performing itself. There are simply more rounded, realistic (if you're bleeding like that, you're playing wrong) ways to tell this story. But an Oscar for editing and sound mixing? Really?