MOFO Top 10: The 1980's

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Due to somewhat popular demand, I've opened up another decade, cause hey why not.

Same rules apply here. Not sure on a deadline. Hopefully lots of votes so we can have a fairly extensive deadline.

YESSS

My list-

#1: Blade Runner
#2: The Empire Strikes Back
#3: The Shining
#4: The Terminator
#5: Airplane!
#6: Raging Bull
#7: First Blood
#8: Aliens
#9: A Nightmare On Elm Street
#10: A Christmas Story

1. Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Ghostbusters
4. Star Wars - Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
6. Back to the Future
7. E.T.
8. A Christmas Story
9. The Karate Kid
10. Savannah Smiles

1. Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Ghostbusters
4. Star Wars - Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
6. Back to the Future
7. E.T.
8. A Christmas Story
9. The Karate Kid
10. Savannah Smiles
This was definitely the golden age of the summer movie. I'm betting on Empire for the top spot, it did make it to the finals of the movie tournament.

1. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)
  2. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
  3. A City Of Sadness (Hou Hsiao Hsien, 1989)
  4. Das Boot (Wolfgang Petersen, 1981)
  5. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985)
  6. A Time To Live And A Time To Die (Hou Hsiao Hsien, 1985)
  7. Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)
  8. Wings Of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
  9. Come And See (Elen Klimov, 1985)
  10. Peking Opera Blues (Tsui Hark, 1986)

I figure I won't set a true time limit for the decade top 10s. The biggest reason being I don't want to rush anyone on it and 2nd we are in no hurry after all. I'd rather have more participation on the threads and more time should help with that.

Also, we will not be doing a top 10 for the 00's as that would be pointless with the MOFO Millennium 100 up and coming. However, we will surely be doing the 30's-90's

Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance
My Neighbor Totoro
Time Bandits

Surprised that you included Koyaanisqatsi. A little too repetitive for me

Great to see My Neighbour Totoro. I would have included Grave Of The Fireflies as well.

For Gilliam, I prefer Brazil. One of the greatest sci-fi films ever.

80's is obviously really tough for me. Well for beginners I haven't seen a lot from the 80s. Secondly there is a lot of highly acclaimed 80s that I'm just not a huge fan of. But I'll have a listing nonetheless, though there could be some shockers on it.

1. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
2. Mishima - A Life in Four Chapters
3. Brazil
4. A City of Sadness
5. Crimes and Misdemeanors
6. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
7. My Dinner With Andre
8. Full Metal Jacket
9. Grave of the Fireflies
10. Cinema Paradiso

It truly saddens me to say I couldn't fit in My Neighbor Totoro, Akira, Blue Velvet, Videodrome, or that I haven't seen Kagemusha or Ran yet. And yes I do know I didn't include Raging Bull or Star Wars.

Nice list winters. Seen all except Mishima, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Kagemusha.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
I like this one. Funny but a little too crude for me.

It made number 1 today just because I'm that kind of black mood

I need to see Come And See and the two Chinese films besides CoS from your list, where do you find these random gems (or what I'm assuming are gems)?

I got the chinese film dvds from ebay. (One is from the Hou Hsiao Hsien collectors edition with a couple of his films)

As to how I discovered them, well... I discovered the genius of Hou by chance and the other (Peking Opera Blues) was recommended to me by linespalsy. I say hes the genius when it comes to Asian cinema.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It truly saddens me to say I couldn't fit in My Neighbor Totoro, Akira, Blue Velvet, Videodrome, or that I haven't seen Kagemusha or Ran yet. And yes I do know I didn't include Raging Bull or Star Wars.
****, blue velvet! i forgot about that one.

as for your number one, i've never heard of it and the title alone intrigues me mucho soo i'm gonna look it up here in a few.