MOFO Top 10: The 1980's

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I did my list in a rush, but I'm not going to change it. Here goes:

1. My Life as a Dog (1985, Lasse Hallstrom)
2. The Killing Fields (1984, Roland Joffe)
3. Tampopo (1985, Juzo Itami)
4. Poltergeist (1982 Tobe Hooper)
5. Moonstruck (1987, Norman Jewison)
6. Down By Law (1986, Jim Jarmusch)
7. Stop Making Sense (1984 Jonathon Demme)
8. Brazil (1985 Terry Gilliam)
9. Sixteen Candles (1984 John Hughes)
10. Parenthood (1989 Ron Howard)

1. Raging Bull

Raging Bull not only captured LaMotta’s pugilist expertise, but also his violent, mentally uncertain persona, beautifully elucidating his success and adversity both inside and outside of the ring.

2. Blood Simple

Every piece of the puzzle fits in Blood Simple: from the plot and the characters over the logical progression and the dialogue to the score, the cinematography and the tone. It’s rare that I cannot fault anything in a film. Blood Simple is such a rare case.

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is a sequel the way a sequel should be: Spielberg took all the elements that made Raiders of the Lost Ark a fan-favorite and added a few more aspects to avoid a strong déjà-vu feeling. As a result, The Last Crusade is one of the most entertaining films I’ve ever seen. Time just flies by every time I watch this seminal film.

4. Full Metal Jacket

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the first 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket might be the best cinema I have ever watched.

5. Once Upon A Time In America

It is hard to put into words just how highly I think of this film. It’s not easy to love on the first viewing, or even the second one, but it has most certainly grown on me. Right now, I think it’s one of the greatest of epic films ever made.

6. Cinema Paradiso

Cinema Paradiso is a wonderful coming-of-age story of a young boy who grows up to be a celebrated filmmaker, going from a childhood in poverty and first love over adolescent heartbreak and a loss of innocence to world-weariness and an eventual unforgettable return to his hometown, with the constants being his friendship with Alfredo and his passion for cinema. The first time I watched this, I remember thinking it was a very solid film; one that I placed under my runners-up section of the year. On every re-watch, my rating of it has gone up, up to the point where I can’t go up it anymore. Italian cinema has produced many masterpieces, but Cinema Paradiso is truly of a seldom-seen quality.

7. Jean de Florette

Quite simply one of the greatest French films ever. A great naturalistic setting with magnificent cinematography and one of the all-time best ensemble casts ever, with Yves Montand (delivering one of the most terrific performances of the 80s), Dépardieu and Daniel Auteuil.

8. The Draughtman's Contract

I have lines to thank for this one; his Movie Tab post made me want to watch this. The Draughtman's Contract is an exquisite, multi-layered film that manages to be a detective style murder mystery, an exploration of class and social issues and a restoration comedy. Moreover, it contains superb dialogue and magnificently measured-out cinematography.

9. The Thing

It is a unique, ingenuous, truly scary film that is not only Carpenter’s best, but one of the best horror films I’ve ever seen.

10. Ran

Ran has a rather meandering pace, but it never feels drawn-out, because the plot is clear and continuously keeps developing as the story progresses. Kurosawa delivered his final masterpiece: a film with a superb story, deep themes and a gorgeous visual style with a fantastic application of primary colours.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
1. Rain Man- Hoffman gives a great performance in my opinion, and actually well Tom Cruise did as well. This is a deserving oscar winner if you ask me.
2. Brave Little Toaster- Call it a childhood favorite if you want, but the storyline is intriguing and the concept of it all is genious to me.
3. Glory- All acting performances are solid. Freeman, Broderick, and Washington. The story and the truth to it keeps you linked.
4. Fox and the Hound- Another childhood favorite. No, not the greatest movie in the world but as I said I haven't seen a lot of quality 80's so I did have a few interesting choices to say the least.
5. Platoon- To be honest, I'm pretty wishy-washy whether or not I truly like this movie. Its to the point where I say it's a solid movie, but I wouldn't be one to watch it over and over again.
6. Raging Bull- It needs another watch, and no it isn't that high on my Scorsese films list, but I do have respect for the film. In particular my favorite performance is from Pesci though and not DeNiro. The storyline doesn't 100% keep me engaged, but what can I say.
7. Driving Miss Daisy- I don't have anything to say really. Decent film, but not great. Like I said I struggled with making this list in the 1st place.
8. Secret of Nimh- Great animated flick, even if a bit cheesy.
9. Pale Rider- Eastwood points. Though I would take The Outlaw Josey Wales over this, and many other Eastwood flicks.
10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit- Inny minny minie mo for this.

I'd say overall the 80's is the decade I've seen the least of, quite surprisingly. Hell, I've seen more from the 30's and 40's for some strange reason.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
3. Back to the Future
4. Gremlins
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Amadeus
7. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
8. Excalibur
9. Glory
10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I know... Spielberg & Co. Popcorn Movie Overload... I almost added Poltergeist and E.T... I really think I should put An American Werewolf in London at about 9., if I can.

I had watched it on my aunt's recommendation from her saying it had some of the best acting ever. I'm not sure what movie she was watching but it wasn't this one, so I guess I had too high of an expectation. It seemed to me like a Spartacus-type film in how the settings and costumes were meticulously detailed but nothing else really stood out. Although I did find out where Anaal Nathrakh came from.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
In response to winter's post, maybe it's a generational thing. I've always liked the acting in Excalibur, but I've heard lots of younger viewers criticize Nicol Williamson and Nigel Terry, among others, and those are two Shakespearean veterans. I admit that it's a complex film, but it's basically a sci-fi/fantasy/spectacle (sort of an Earthbound-version of Star Wars) with serious issues involving Man vs. Nature, a major John Boorman theme. Plus it's a pretty good horror flick too.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
here are my write-ups for a few of the movies on my list.

Pretty in Pink

i think this is listed in the number one slot on my Favorite Movies tab, too. i decided to list it here because it's literally the only movie i'll watch again, and again, and again, and again and never get tired of it or notice something funny or cute about it to love. John Hughes always had the best characters in his movies, and i love the campy quality of all colorful characters in this movie. i was only 2-years-old when this came out, but i can imagine that lots of teenage girls back then looked up to Molly Ringwald's character, Andie. she's probably my favorite female role model in a movie - she's mature beyond her years, compassionate, caring, optimistic, eager to discover what she wants and what she likes even if it's different from everyone else around her, crafty, stylish, and ridiculously cute. i'm 27 and i still wish i could be her sometimes!

The Big Chill

this is one of those movies that is almost borderline "too" good; almost like it's self-aware, from the all-star cast to the Best of the 60's soundtrack. its nostalgia, for me, stems from the feelings of nostalgia portrayed through the characters themselves and not so much an awakening of my own memories, but this is one of the warmest movies i've ever seen (despite the title) and the chemistry between the characters is phenomenal, particularly the scenes with Jeff Goldblum.

Educating Rita

this is probably one of my favorite character studies of all time, and it does such a perfect job of awakening the deep down fear that i'll become all pretension with minimal insight, like Rita. maybe that's why i like to watch this movie to begin with; to remind myself not to follow down the same footsteps. there's also a powerful and brutally honest message here about how much sacrifice is usually required if you want to change your life for the better - often times it means becoming detached from things or even people you love because maybe they don't have your best interest at heart.

Fanny and Alexander

none of Bergman's films are about love, or relationships, or a certain part. it's greed, love, lust, good and evil, insanity, supernatural, family relations all wrapped into one. Fanny and Alexander is not just one of those you see because it's good for you and it broadens your understanding of cinematic techniques, but that it accomplishes what all great art at least sets out to do: reveal something pivotal about the world around us while making the most of its medium. it's personal without being impenetrable and mysterious without being pretentious. the visual metaphors in this film are indeed beautiful, but also easy to understand within the contexts of a touching story. like for instance, the people who are important to Alexander persistently appear in the film even after they die; whose past doesn't materialize in front of a person who is forever indebted to it?

Raging Bull

She's Having a Baby

pretty surreal for a John Hughes film, but the title alone kept me from watching this for years because i just assumed it was some dumb 80's comedy pre Baby's Day Out or something (stupid, i know), but then i watched the Kate Bush - This Woman's Work sequence which made me break down in sniffles. i always appreciated how much realism was mixed in with the abstract, and the eerie effect it has on its viewer - though as i can't very well relate to the main characters who are going through typical married/children/suburban lifestyle acceptance, i think everyone can relate to the fear of being completely ordinary or giving up some kind of freedom of self to protect the things and the people you choose to take care of and love.

This is Spinal Tap

My Neighbor Totoru

simply the most joyous movie ever to adorn the screen. nothing further to add here.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

The Fly

pretty much wanted to badly have rough sex with Jeff Goldblum after i watched this haha *freak* but honestly, this is probably my favorite remake of a movie, ever. whenever i watch 80's Cronenberg it makes me miss how over-the-top and icky the special effects and gore that defined this decade in movies are. the performances here are less than perfect, but there's plenty of convincing character developments that when the slow yet effective groundwork opens up for the jolting shocks, it's a gut-wrenchingly tough, lyrical drama with infused visual impact.

that's what she said...
This was a hard decade to chose only 10!!

1. Beetlejuice (1988) 10pt
It was a debate between this and The Little Mermaid for #1 as both movies are favs of mine from when I was a kid. I chose Beetlejuice as this was kind of my transition into becoming a horror movie junkie. Of course it's not a horror, it's comedy, but as a little kid the creepiness was so intreging to me. Even still I have fun watching this movie.
2. The Little Mermaid (1989) 9pt
Just one of the Disney loves of mine. I'm a sucker for those disney classics. It's funny, I dont get into the new disney fairtales (EXCEPT FOR TANGLED--I LOVED THAT) But I can sit down through the classic disney movies and enjoy them thouroghly even though I have seen them countless times.
3. Ferris Bueller's Day off (1986) 8pt
Funny and full of suspense wondering if he is going to get caught. Well, now that we have all seen it a dozen times we know how it all turns out. Its still a fun ride to watch.
4. Aliens (1986) 7pt
Just another great horror film that doesn't get old.
5. Back to the Future (1985) 6pt
6. Caddyshack (1980) 5pt
I never got into this movie til I started dating my bf. He loves this movie and the more I watch it with him, the more it moves up the latter of 80 movies I really like.
7. Annie (1982) 4pt
8. E.T. (1982) 3pt
Honeykid, If this isnt in your top ten of the 80s.... I will be speechless! Just a fun, good movie!!
9. Uncle Buck (1989) 2pt
10. Spaceballs (1987) 1pt

8. E.T. (1982) 3pt
Honeykid, If this isnt in your top ten of the 80s.... I will be speechless! Just a fun, good movie!!
Honestly, I don't think it'd make my top 20 films of the 80's. I've seen it about 25 times and I do love it, but I've not watched it for a very long time now, so I could be wrong about making the top 20. I don't think it would though.

I won't expect a reply.

that's what she said...
Honestly, I don't think it'd make my top 20 films of the 80's. I've seen it about 25 times and I do love it, but I've not watched it for a very long time now, so I could be wrong about making the top 20. I don't think it would though.

I won't expect a reply.
here's my reply:
lol

Put me in your pocket...
The 80's were also hard to choose just 10!

For today....

The Princess Bride (1987)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Amadeus (1984)
Tootsie (1982)
Parenthood (1989)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Moonstruck (1987)
Roxanne (1987)
Back to the Future (1985)

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Tampopo
Cinema Paradiso
Back to the Future
The Fourth Man
Poltergiest
Once Upon A Time In America
Aliens
Tootsie
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
1. Stop Making Sense
2. Raging Bull
3. Rain Man
4. The Terminator
5. Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom
6. The Empire Strikes Back
7. Highlander
8. Rocky IV
9. Red Heat
10. Die Hard