New York Movies

Tools    

CHUD is another old favorite of mine. If you liked it, you should watch it with the sardonic DVD commentary and like it even more.
I'll have to check for that. So far, I've mainly been entranced with steaming manholes, glowing eyes and Kim Greist's attempt to wrest the Scream Queen title from Jamie Lee Curtis.

I'd be interested in commentary about just WHY blood spurted out of the drain when Kim was showering since there were no CHUDs inside bathroom plumbing.

Don’t forget this gritty one from the 80’s
My next late-night acquisition. There can never be too much cheesy 80's horror and, if it's set in New York, that's even better, TRIBECA even betterer.

In addition to those already mentioned...

Marty
Do The Right Thing
Crooklyn
Fresh
Night on Earth (NY segment)
Times Square
Old Enough
After Hours
Smithereens
The Addiction

In addition to those already mentioned...

Marty
Do The Right Thing
Crooklyn
Fresh
Night on Earth (NY segment)
Times Square
Old Enough
After Hours
Smithereens
The Addiction
Interesting list, especially Marty. I have a vague recollection of being talked into seeing it somewhere when I was a kid, told that it was a great movie but it was completely lost on me. It's on Amazon Prime....might try it again in adulthood.

Right now - watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Rear Window, in which a news photog, idled with a broken leg, notices strange and possibly sinister goings on in the apartment across the courtyard from his. It was a fictional story based on an actual building at 125 W. Christopher Street in the West Village. The filming was done in a duplicate set built on a back lot in Hollywood.

Let’s not forget The Seven Year Itch & The Prisoner of Second Avenue

Gotta love The Muppets Take Manhattan
Gotta love almost anything with The Muppets in it.

It's an older thread, but check out THIS ONE HERE. Last updated in 2014, but lots of good NYC flicks and filmmakers discussed.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For me, last night, it was a recent DVD purchase, a bad horror movie that's a cult classic, C.H.U.D. This flick has it all in the way of 80's urban decay, burnt out cops, perpetually wet streets with steaming manhole covers, corrupt politicians, flophouses and vagrants covered with dirt. And...it has cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers who reach up from those steaming manholes and pull pedestrians down into CHUD hell.
If you grooved to the low budget horror NYC depicted in C.H,U.D. check out some of Larry Cohen's work, specifically I'd recommend God Told Me To (1976) and Q – The Winged Serpent (1982), both of which surely helped inspire Douglas Cheek and company with their Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.

If you grooved to the low budget horror NYC depicted in C.H,U.D. check out some of Larry Cohen's work, specifically I'd recommend God Told Me To (1976) and Q – The Winged Serpent (1982), both of which surely helped inspire Douglas Cheek and company with their Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.

I do remember a bleary, late night viewing of Q. As things turn out, the "star" of that flick, Micheal Moriarty, is guy I've seen live a number of times in theatrical performances in Baltimore, as in real plays by playwrights with academic reputations. I think the guy who narrated the trailer for Q is also the trailer voice for CHUD.

As for God Told Me To, that one looks like a candidate for another bleary, late night session.

how can anyone forget these classics:
Black rain
State of Grace
Die Hard with a vengeance
Sea of love

... and a mention for The Brother from Another Planet. Far less morbid than the prior three, but has a good street atmosphere
*high five*

If you grooved to the low budget horror NYC depicted in C.H,U.D. check out some of Larry Cohen's work, specifically I'd recommend God Told Me To (1976) and Q – The Winged Serpent (1982)
Literally the post I came in here to write.

God Told Me To in particular has a bonkers plot progression that simply must be seen to be believed.

CHUD is another old favorite of mine. If you liked it, you should watch it with the sardonic DVD commentary and like it even more.
Damn. My cheap DVD copy doesn't have any commentary. I wanted to check on that.

Men in Black - Extraterrestrials are being hidden by the government in New York, where nobody will notice them among all the other aliens.

Leon (1994)
Forgot this was set in New York until I watched it again last night.
Oh yeah....Jean Reno and a very young Natalie Portman. I think I watched part of it quite a while ago.

Oh yeah....Jean Reno and a very young Natalie Portman. I think I watched part of it quite a while ago.

I strongly recommend you track down the full movie. I've done a short review on my thread under movie review section.