Stylish medieval flicks?

Tools    

you want a flick that takes place during the Medieval times that is very Stylish.. fine

the Crusades were part of the Middle ages.. and there is very much fighting in this film.

Let the night air cool you off
He is looking for more exploitative type films, the problem is I don't know if any films like that exist. Or if they do, where the hell to find them. I mentioned Hard to Be a God just because of the gore, but it's more arthouse than grindhouse.

Well I guess I dont know any exploitation films with sword fighting... what I do know about medieval films that are explicit are more of your Nunexploitation films.

I don't really have any new ones to add, but for most visually stunning and tonally unique, it's definitely John Boorman's Excalibur. And it's fun to play spot the famous actor before they were famous. Gabriel Bryne, Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, and Ciarán Hinds all had roles here, early in their careers. And while Helen Mirren started her career very visibly in the 1960s and was certainly established in the UK by 1981, she was nowhere near the international star she became decades later.

Paul Verhoeven's Flesh+Blood is definitely a good, bloody, gritty flick.

Though not as striking as either of those films, I have always loved Dick Lester's Robin & Marian, which I think contains one of the most realistic one-on-one battles, with the aged Robin of Locksley (Sean Connery) and the Sheriff of Nottingham (Robert Shaw) going at each other in full armor. Aged or not, you definitely get a feel for how incredibly exhausting it would be to actually do battle in such rigs, wielding heavy weapons.

And finally, though you may not groove to the Shakespearian goings on, Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight has a marvelously edited sequence recreating The Battle of Agincourt, that Welles shot on a very tight budget with limited resources, but it is really the cinematic blueprint for all such subsequent movie campaigns. It very obviously influenced Gibson's Braveheart, but you can also see it in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and beyond.

A piece of it can be seen below...

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	excalibur.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	16822   Click image for larger version

Name:	robin.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	16823  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh..right..I've clearly misunderstood the kind of film you are looking for. Stylish medieval exploitation/grindhouse type films.. hmmm...This is the only one I can think of:

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
How the hell is Hobo with a Shotgun medieval?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Put me in your pocket...
All my favorite Mediaeval movies have already been mentioned.

I don't know if The Vikings (1958) is something you might like?

And, for more up to date stylishness, there's always the History Channels' Vikings mini-series. There's plenty of fighting and blood spilling in this one.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

It would be awesome. Actually there's a spaghetti western starring Nakadai, but firstly it's a minor role and secondly I can't remember what was the name of this flick.

EDIT: GOT IT!

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Valhalla Rising (2009) was an excellent film IMO, very dark.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

Ironclad (2011) It's a more recent film that may not be the best medieval piece, but it looks good and has great special fx.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/

Black Death (2010) Has Sean Bean(maybe he dies, maybe he doesn't) very dark film that looks great.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181791/

Valhalla Rising (2009) was an excellent film IMO, very dark.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/
20+ thumbs up for this ... I completely agree..and there are many who either hate or cant understand what the point of the film is!!!

I've not seen it but Mads Mikkelsen is pretty cool anyway - Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas .

Mark suggested Brotherhood of the Wolf, have you seen that?

I've not seen it but Mads Mikkelsen is pretty cool anyway - Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas .

Mark suggested Brotherhood of the Wolf, have you seen that?
Christine, you should watch "Valhalla Rising".. Mads is amazing.... his ability to act without speaking... is just in awe! This is one of the reasons he's a favorite of mine.... his movement and facial expressions is enough.

edit;

You will never be disappointed with his acting in any film he is in. Three Musketeers sucked but Mads was great at his role!

Christine, you should watch "Valhalla Rising".. Mads is amazing.... his ability to act without speaking... is just in awe! This is one of the reasons he's a favorite of mine.... his movement and facial expressions is enough.
I keep meaning to as I do love him. I'll search it out

One year later and I still didn't find anything like that.

Guess I know what movie to make in case I becoma a director.