Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
probably has something to do with all the racism
So what? Do you rate Polański's films 1/10, too, because he had sex with a minor?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
did he ever make some long-ass movie where the KKK were the good guys

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Five Venoms: Still holds up as one of the greats in classic kung fu!

Was this Jane Eyre, what are you talking bout?

Swing Time (1936)

Unusual for me, an old comedy that made me laugh, and a musical with dance routines that got me excited. I still can't help but find it a little off-putting when characters randomly break into song, but at least with this movie it didn't totally turn me off. Of course, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are the draw and they deliver. They're just so damn likable and there were a couple of excellent supporting characters as well.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Joy Ride (2001) - John Dahl

- Awesome movie. Entertaining, well acted and thrilling. One of the few movie I'm never tired to watch.
Glad to see another fan of this film here. J.J. Abrams wrote it and it spawned two BAAAAAD sequels.

The original though is funny, tense and directed well. Perfect casting for Rusty Nail and one I have no trouble revisiting from time to time.

Suspect's Reviews

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

When it comes to combining horror and war, one would usually expect World War II and the Nazi regime doing insane experiments. However, In a bold move from first-time director Leo Scherman, this film is set in World War I and involves an allied team of British and American forces along with a Canadian tunneler going to a German abandoned bunker and learn of a rage-induced parasite.

John Wick (2014)

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Burning
(1981)
For the B-Movie II HOF recommended by Cat_sidhe

I will rate after I finish them..

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Kudos to adding a "Z" factor to your ratings. The story my of my life. I had to watch half of "Upgrade" standing up.

Swing Time (George Stevens, 1936)
+
Stan Laurel goes it alone and proves quite the surprise!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hitlerjunge Quex shows Nazis as good. So what?

Welcome to the human race...
So what? So let's dance!

(also I still thought Birth of a Nation was boring so I wouldn't have given it a much better rating anyway)

Ghost in the Shell (1995) (Dir. Mamoru Oshii)

Wow. Everything from The Matrix to Westworld does indeed trace its bloodline to this work, a transhumanist masterpiece about approaching the singularity. A rainy, moody cityscape drowned out by Kenji Kawai's all consuming score. An effortless coolness emphasizing the noir as much as the tech. Brilliant stuff.

As for if Ghost in the Shell quenches my thirst for a dignified female character, I can't say it checks the boxes. Major is introduced with a line about her period before she strips her clothes. She's the only character who needs to be nude to use the camouflage so it's clearly gratuitous. Her arch is about her humanity, not her femininity. She even reverts to the body of a child signifying that this is the beginning of her human development, conveniently fulfilling the anime prerogative of infantilizing anything female. Femininity is present in this work only in form and only to be fetishized. Sigh.