Avengers: Endgame

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Well, I've seen it and now I don't have to watch it again, and as far as I'm concerned everyone is still dead.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't know why people that have a negative attitude about this stuff even bother watching it. It's like someone watching golf or tennis who is bored by it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't know why people that have a negative attitude about this stuff even bother watching it. It's like someone watching golf or tennis who is bored by it.
To be fair, I think most people who went to see it probably wanted to like it, some were just disappointed. I think it was a phenomenal achievement in many ways and a terrific cinema experience, for all that I have some problems with how it ended up.

I don't think it's unreasonable or unnecessarily negative for people to point out that the film buckles slightly under the weight of the hype and expectations; after all the hype is part of what made it so successful.

You ready? You look ready.
We like to know all the mistakes they made so we can better tear it down, of course. It's like when you watch Dr. Phil to keep tabs on the idiots in your television. It's dirty but important work.

"Time travel, that's going to be hard to do...

Actually super easy, barely an inconvenience."

SPOILERS for the entire plot in this video, obviously.

To be fair, I think most people who went to see it probably wanted to like it, some were just disappointed. I think it was a phenomenal achievement in many ways and a terrific cinema experience, for all that I have some problems with how it ended up.

I don't think it's unreasonable or unnecessarily negative for people to point out that the film buckles slightly under the weight of the hype and expectations; after all the hype is part of what made it so successful.
I do kind of wonder though if people missed what seemed like the Intension of Infinity War to me. I think that film deliberately played up the idea of "cool heroism" failing so its not really surprising the sequel aims for more an approach based more on personal sacrifice.

I mean the end result is definitely a film less focused on action so if that's what you were mainly interested in I can understand the disappointment. Personally though I found it one of the most effecting blockbusters in a long time, maybe going all the way back to Jacksons Lord of the Rings films.

I think the nature of the MCU does make it rather messier than Jacksons films, you have a large number of characters and a wildly varying tone but this for me is close to as good as you could hope for. More than anything I think it played off of just how strong a cast marvel really have.

I think Endgame ends the OG Avengers but i imagine world will always need protecting. I mean look at a big wide open universe that could threaten earth. Avengers will always need new members because even super powered humans sometimes just cannot live forever. Fury i am sure looks out for new blood and has plans for future and a plan for someone to take up his work after he is gone. Im sure there will be a new team of something but for now need an Avenger Break.

The movie was major fan service and tied many stories that had been building for a decade. That can be good or bad depending on what you were looking for in the film. I think, for those that were invested in this franchise, this is an amazing pay off and the “pandering” makes sense

I can't believe I let social media gave me so much high expectation for this End Game movie. I truly like the Infinity War but the End Game felt lackluster and was only carried by the hype of the people.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I see a lot of bitching and whining in here. Surprised so many people here were not fans of it and prefer Infinity War. I guess those are the people who like big explosions and nothing else. Where do you go from the 'epic' movie that was Infinity War? You dial it back a bit of course.

Endgame was everything it needed to be. It brought back the people we all knew were going come back (The Snapped) and pulled a few fast ones with other on screen deaths (Loki, Gamora) It ended a series of films that started 11 years ago with a guy in a cave with a box of scraps!!!!

I see a lot of complaints that don't make sense to me. Some people don't know what 3-Act structures are and a lot of people disappointed that the film wasn't what they wanted. Is this Last Jedi all over again? (which side was I on that one, haha)

We all knew there were going to be sacrifices in this film and the characters who do it, do it well. I was surprised to see Black Widow give her life for the Soul Stone. Something I did not expect to see was her death in this film. I do ask myself though, if the rule is one soul for one soul, does giving it back give a soul back? Should we have seen Black Widow come back through time at the end instead of waiting for Cap? With her own movie coming up I guess it will be a prequel.

Tony sacrifice seemed fitting. He got some nice one on one time with his dad, got a life he didn't know he wanted with Potts and his daughter, was able to bring back those he lost with Spider-Man. He was willing to sacrifice himself at the end of the first Avengers film and he does it again here, with a great closing line. People seem to be complaining about fan service or pandering, give me a break. All these callbacks and easter eggs are fun and a lot of them service the characters. Tony's I Am Iron Man was a great way for him to go out on.

Steve Rogers, got the ending that I'm happy with. He wanted to dance with Peggy, he finally made good on his promise. For those time travel nitpickers. Let's try and break it down?

People can theorize in films what will happen, but they won't know until they try it. The Avengers certainly don't know. The one who might is The Ancient One and she wants the stones back to the moment they were taken. It's done.

So does Captain America change anything? Maybe, maybe not. He stays back there though, that's the difference. They clearly state you can't alter the past to change the future. But Cap never "comes back" he stays there. So him staying there is continuing the line of "altering". Had he changed something and time jumped back, maybe you have a case. But how is it suppose to work against him? Is time going to step in and stop him form having a normal life with Peggy? Why would he let his friend be tortured and become the Winter Soldier? Maybe because he doesn't want to alter the past that extremely? Something like that is a lot bigger than living a normal life with a woman he loves. Besides, there is another Captain America out there to become unfrozen. So the timeline for him and his Avengers can stay the same. In my opinion, the man served his country and saved the world. People complaining that he shouldn't have done that just want more Captain America movies. Others complaining about him lift Thor's hammer? Go watch Age of Ultron again.

Choosing Sam over Bucky? Who cares?? It was either one since both at one point become Captain America in the comics. Besides Bucky still has his own crap to figure out. People saying they can't watch the other Captain America movies now? Grow up.

I noticed the all female glory shot. I chuckled to myself but it didn't bother me. This is a comic book movie first and foremost, so we're going to get those "shots" of cool looking poses.

I had no idea what this film would be about and killing Thanos in the first 20 minutes is a bold move. That gives the viewer less of a road map on where to go. Another bold choice was making Thor fat and never changing it. Why not? Change up the game a little.

They do use Captain Marvel to save the day a few times with her being Over Powered. They definitely rushed her movie and got it in before Endgame just as an excuse to have her show up. This is the first time I saw a film in this series without seeing the one prior. Was I lost? No. Knowing she has super powers and flies through space was enough info I needed.

A lot of cool shots, a lot of humour. I enjoyed a lot of this movie. Is it perfect? No. The film had the impossible task of being the accumulation of over a decade's worth of story telling. This is a near impossible feat and they pulled it off. I'm reading about people laughing, cheering and crying in the theatre...but that's not enough for them? Tough crowd.

Can we all agree on one thing though that everyone seems to be overlooking. The true hero of this film, the one who literally saves the world and puts everything in motion.

The rat.

Suspect's Reviews

Literally the first time I've ben told to grow up for not wanting to watch a comic book movie.

To me, Endgame was around 80% awesome and 20% not so awesome. I think it makes sense that discussion is going to focus on the not so awesome because there's more to explain/complain about there. I don't know why some people think that being a fantastic cinema experience means it's somehow immune to criticism, nitpicking or personal preferences. That's part of the fun, surely?

One of the interesting things about a movie like this which brings all these different characters from different films together is that people are going into it with different perspectives and biases. I've seen reviews from Thor fans who are really unhappy with the character in this film mentioning things that fans coming at it from a different perspective probably wouldn't even have noticed, let alone be bothered by. Likewise, the stuff that bothered me about Captain America's ending probably didn't matter at all to a lot of other people. A film that has so many characters to cover and plot strands to tie up isn't going to cover those characters in quite the same depth that their own standalone movie would, or it would have been six hours long*. The amazing thing is that for the most part Infinity War and Endgame do work in bringing these disparate strands and slightly different tones together, it brings all these different audiences together, and that certainly is a huge achievement.

(*I definitely would have watched that version though.)

Great GIF Image. I like that

My take....
- good but infinity war was clearly better
- the time travel boundaries they tried to set didn't really make perfect sense as the execution carried out
- a little bit too soap opera-ish for the first half of the movie
- Thanos taking on Capt, Iron Man, and Thor was incredible

I liked the movie for what it was. As someone who follows the mcu, there were a ton of Easter eggs and callbacks that were simply awesome.

I do think Whedon despite everyone's complaints about Justice League and Age Of Ultron and Age Of Ultron i liked very much. Whedon got what the Hulk was.

Thing is Russo's just didn't get what The Hulk was. Whedon embraced Hulk and in ways he brought the best out of Black Widow in my opinion.

Avengers 3 and 4 look amazing but its too much. Rather seen them stick to say 6 main characters and maybe add 2 more. Endgame final battle was hard to fallow for me. Movie looked great but. Think like Avengers 1 and the solo MCU films more then these.