Make Your Picks

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

DUNKIRK (2017)

May of 1940 witnessed one of the most amazing feats of WW2.. the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of allied troops from the French seaside town of Dunkerque (Dunkirk). Some were by the British navy but the majority of the avacuators were the owners of small civilian craft which had been mobilsed by a desperate British government. As a result of this immensely brave effort by everyday Englishmen some 330,000 British, French, Belgian and Dutch soldiers made their way back across the English Channel to fight another day.

Unlike previous cinematic versions of the momentous event, this modern version lacked the human touch. I found myself becoming frustrated with the story and wanting it to end well before it did.
★★ disappointing / mediocre/ soulless

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

movies can be okay...
10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer -
-

A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!

Nocturnal Animals by Tom Ford -

“When you love someone, you work it out, you don’t just throw it away, and you have to be careful with it, because you might never get it again”

Just when I started to feel dispirited about the lack of new favourite films in my pocket, this comes along and blows me away. I didn't think I could relate so much to a movie made by a fashion designer, but here I am, totally invested in the happenings, and fulfilled by the emotional package they brought. The grade A cast undoubtedly amplified the overall quality, especially Amy Adams with her subtle and reserved showing, and Jake Gyllenhaal with his emotionally devastating performance. The latter was already among the top of my preferred actors, but now it’s getting to the point where every film he stars in becomes an instant favorite of mine (Enemy, Nightcrawler, Donnie Darko, and now Nocturnal Animals, would all have a place in a "100 films" list if I ever made one, and Gyllenhaal is a big reason for their inclusion), so he might actually statistically be my favorite actor, and it totally feels like it too.

Personally, I don’t perceive the film to be as much about revenge, as it is about closure. I feel like the intentions of Gyllenhaal's character, are to seek closure after all the hurt he's been through. Him dedicating his book to his ex-wife is a way to express his feelings to her and what he went through after that certain situation, it's a way to express his point of view of their relationship, it's a way for him to express all of what he has previously reserved and held back, it's a way to prove her wrong, and more importantly, it's a way for him to finally have closure, and I feel like the ending backs that up perfectly. Meanwhile, it's Amy Adams' character who actually perceives his book as revenge against her.

I badly want to give Nocturnal Animals a 10/10, but I'll leave that decision to be made after my second watch, which will probably happen tonight. Maybe I'll even write my thoughts extensively too.

Point Blank by John Boorman -
+

Not much to say here, other than I thought it was alright overall, with a few great moments here and there. The first half was kinda annoying, especially with that club scene and all of the yelling, but things got better as the movie went along, but not enough so to particularly impress me. There was also some hilariously bad scenes and moments, that increased the level of my entertainment. Oh and the editing worked well too.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer -
-

A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!
I haven't seen it but I can imagine. They recently made another adaptation with Tim Roth, which amused me because of the couple of times he worked with John Hurt.

It's reasurring to see that there's at least one designer out there who knows the difference between an apostrophe and a single opening quotation mark. Pet hate of mine .

Originally Posted by Okay
10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer - -A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!

Multiple times I have seen this fine film about the life and times of serial killer John Christie brilliantly portrayed by Richard Attenborough. The late John Hurt also puts in a solid performance. I also give it ★★★★

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

Like Casey Affleck but found this whole film quite flat from a Jim Thompson novel. Didn't really get the outrage a the violence against females. Main protagonist is a psychopath! The story itself was fine I just feel that Winterbottom (who I can like and dislike) didn't take much risks for him and overall the end product is a bit bland or at least, not as good as it could have been. 5/10

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers
The Red Pill -

Made by a self-described Feminist, I wasn't sure if it would be worth watching it coming from a defined perspective, but it was very good. She was sincere, and seemed genuine about finding things out, even though she'd get knee-jerk reactions, but I guess I did when it was my side; which I think is the problem, hence, the reason for an opposition group, which is too bad - we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems.

The Red Pill -

Made by a self-described Feminist, I wasn't sure if it would be worth watching it coming from a defined perspective, but it was very good. She was sincere, and seemed genuine about finding things out, even though she'd get knee-jerk reactions, but I guess I did when it was my side; which I think is the problem, hence, the reason for an opposition group, which is too bad - we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems.
I've wanted to see that. Glad to hear you thought well of it, some have panned it on this thread.

"we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems." That's how I feel about everything. You know it's like the Pink Floyd song, 'Together we stand, divided we fall....'

Welcome to the human race...
That's the tragedy of the damn thing - legitimate concerns being compromised because the movement got co-opted by regressive anti-feminist types (some of whom are uncritically featured in the film), which is why it sucks that the director just goes "welp guess I'm not a feminist anymore" at the end.

Last movie watched...

Metropolis -

guys I think it's a metaphor for something

It's reasurring to see that there's at least one designer out there who knows the difference between an apostrophe and a single opening quotation mark. Pet hate of mine .
What do you mean?

Absurdly over-hyped, but quite good. Same storyline as the documentary Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County [Florida], but fictionalized. Precocious little girl stars & Willem Dafoe very good.

Storyline a little confusing & hard to follow, at least for me, but a solid movie. Enjoyed it.

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers
I've wanted to see that. Glad to hear you thought well of it, some have panned it on this thread.

"we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems." That's how I feel about everything. You know it's like the Pink Floyd song, 'Together we stand, divided we fall....'
Same.. Pink Floyd is also my favorite band!
I saw a silly review of someone saying "Not many great visuals" - I think it bothered both sides who profit from the chaos, hence the low score. After you see it, check out a talk she did afterwards.

What do you mean?
I'll show you:

The first image is the original, which uses an apostrophe to abbreviate 1971. In the second image I've changed it to a single opening quotation mark, which is used in error on a lot on film posters.

On a Mac you type an apostrophe with a key command rather than an individual key, so I'm sure a lot of people just use the quotation mark key for convenience – that's how I think this error has come to be so frequent. The problem is that you'd get the single opening quotation mark first, whereas for the purpose above you'd need the closing as it's identical to an apostrophe.

I thought computer keyboards were the source of this but strangely I've seen some quite old graphic work making the same mistakes.

I take your point - it should be an apostrophe of course - but now I’m confused looking at my iPad keyboard. Which is the apostrophe key & do I have a single quotation mark (rather than a double quotation mark)?

Oh yes, they've separated the single and double quotation mark keys on that layout.

It's okay for normal typing – I use the single quotation mark key to type 'apostrophes' because I know they'll come out the right way round:

It's when you want to abbreviate a word that you have a problem, as it will default to a single opening quotation mark.

Office Space 10/10
Watched at a movie party at an Alamo Drafthouse, even got to smash an old fax machine afterward.

Joy Ride (2001) - John Dahl

- Awesome movie. Entertaining, well acted and thrilling. One of the few movie I'm never tired to watch.

The Old Dark House (1932)

This was directed by James Whale, who has a pretty good resume, and it stars Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, and even the woman who would go on to play the old fossil in Titanic. It's a horror with awesome atmosphere and a comedic side. It's an entertaining movie that I probably would have loved if I had seen it when I were younger.