8/10

I figure I'll post my review here, since I don't have to worry about spoilers (no feature anyway, lol) and I think handfuls of people probably WON'T click to see the spoilers, and figure most wouldn't read a summary of a movie they haven't seen before. Or, maybe some read the first sentence and it gets them to check it out.

I just remember how I found this movie.. On IMDB, you can filter your watch-list to movies on Amazon Prime, and when I saw it was Kazan, I checked it out, despite of its low 6.4/10 IMDB rating, and the scary 32% on RT (probably based on 8 programmed idiots).

Interesting how James Woods got to work with Kazan in one of his last movies. He lives on the land owned by his girlfriend's father, and they have a toddler. One day, unannounced, they are paid a visit by two guys he knew from the Army. The tension is very high, but the movie doesn't move fast and turn it into a gimmick. It's very natural, gritty, low-budget, one setting, conversational without being too wordy. The girlfriend is appeasing, but is "one of the protest chicks". It doesn't take long before she realizes her boyfriend turned in these two men (the main guy is a sgt) for rape and murder. She's aware he's afraid of them and suggests he call the police, but he says, "I already turned them in once" and sorta plays along, trying to be even-keeled, and even has a short conversation with the other guy, to gauge why they came, etc..

Then it gets even more interesting when the girlfriend's father (another veteran actor in many old western sitcoms) shows up. He was in WWII, but is much different than his daughter, and is very much like the two criminals who suddenly drop by. He doesn't like his "son-in-law" and even suggests how Sgt. Mike and she would make a good couple. He's so "old-fashioned", he doesn't even know if he considers the toddler a grandson. He's very anti-communist, and probably enjoyed the military, and there's some good political and social commentary.

In the third act, things get heated when the girlfriend is being overly nice, and starts to slow-dance with Sgt. Mike, and things eventually come to blows and escalates to (yup, you guessed it) Mike raping the girlfriend, who resists at first, but there's sexual tension throughout the entire movie, with the girlfriend being overly friendly... Has the same vibe as "Straw Dogs" and a lot of other 70s gritty, natural, low-budget kinda movies.