Guy Ritchie's REVOLVER

→ in
Tools    

REVOLVER (Guy Ritchie, 2005)

Jason Statham in Revolver
Guy Ritchie strikes back with another slick and stylish gangster flick. Following from his disastrous 2003 Razzie favorite, Swept Away, Ritchie really had something to prove. It's clearly evident that he wants to be taken seriously as a filmmaker, and I think Revolver is the perfect way to go. Like Lock, Stock and much like Snatch, the cool and vibrant camerawork returns, along with rising star Jason Statham. So does it have humor? Hardly. There may be a few chuckle-worthy moments scattered here and there, but don't be expecting another frantic black comedy, as this film is as serious as they come.

To a lot of people, Revolver may be a little hard to take in (its fast paced narrative and elaborate structure won't do any favors for the average filmgoer). Though in time, Revolver could go on to be the film Ritchie's remembered for. It isn't something that you'll forget in a hurry; this film demands repeat viewing.

Maybe it's not as good as Snatch, but it's one hell of a huge step up from the disappointing island movie he made with the Mrs.

I won't give any of the story away, just in case I ruin it. It's really best if you watch this film without knowing anything. So see it as soon as you can; if not for the totally mind boggling story, then at least for the outstanding creative visuals from one of today's most promising directors.

Grade: A-

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I have been waiting for this for a while, I'm really intrested in what Ritchie does next, will he be a one trick pony, or can he come back with the goods.
I think possibly the success of " Layer Cake " have forced Ritchie to do a rethink, he was supposed to direct Layer Cake, and I think the fact that Mathew Vaughn got rid of the humour for a more serious gangster flick might have influenced him some way towards his direction of Revolver.
Will catch it this weekend and let you know what I thought.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I hope you like it, Darth. I doubt you'll understand it the first time round (I certainly didn't), but you might enjoy it. It starts out like Layer Cake, but trust me, it's very different. And very, very confusing.

The trailer does look a bit balls. And the 'only 3 days left to live' bit sounds like a rather desperate, cliched plot device.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
And the 'only 3 days left to live' bit sounds like a rather desperate, cliched plot device.
There's nothing clicéd about this plot, Pyro. Nothing.

I can tell you're not going to like it. You sound like you've already made up your mind.

Wow. Revolver's getting really crappy reviews. Here's one from Empire, one from Radio Times, and another one from The Guardian.

I guess they didn't like it because they didn't get it. I didn't get it (at all), but I loved it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Wow. Revolver's getting really crappy reviews. Here's one from Empire, one from Radio Times, and another one from The Guardian.

I guess they didn't like it because they didn't get it. I didn't get it (at all), but I loved it.
Yeah, it is getting really bad reviews. Listen to Mark Kermode's review, it is hilarious! http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/entert.../kermode.shtml

To be honest, I like Mark Kermode, but I find his reviews to be a bit hit and miss.
From the sound of it Guy Ritchie's head is up his arse here, I wondered if he could ever make any other type of movie other than the Cockney gangster flick, and from hearing Kermode's review and Ritchie himself on the radio, I guess the answer is no.
For me Ritchie is similar to Tarantino, both have a limited shelflife, after the initial hype, they don't have enough in their locker to back up their reputation.
I'll still go and see it, and I will try to not have any preconcieved ideas about it, but from what I've seen and heard so far, I'm not full of hope.

I imagine i'll watch it, the reviews may have tainted me though. The trailer gives it less credit than it's due, based from what i've read about the intricate plot. Darth has a point about Richie's and Tarantino's limited shelf life though.

Here to support the villians.......
Saw this last night, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I feared. OK it's no where near as good as Lock, Stock or Snatch IMO, but it did have some good moments.

The problem with the movie, is it thinks it's much smarter than it actually is, and their are too many twists that end up being too confusing and some rather laughable. And the ending is utter tripe.

Whilst the film isn't meant to be funny, it actually caused me to laugh out loud a few times, some of it I believe was unintenional as well.

But you can't go wrong with the cast, Statham is his usual charming self although it is hard picturing him with hair. Ray Liotta (who I am a fan of) has some comic moments, and the sight of him in just his pants is hilarious, but at times he's embarrassing to watch, although when he's in full on psycho mode that's when he's at his best. And Pastore is underused but fine in his role, and Andre Benjamin is effective, and not a bad actor, in fact he suprised me throughout with his acting.

So not a great movie, but not as awful as some critics made out, but next time Ritchie you could do without the animation sequence and the abysmal ending.

Grade: C

I think I will wait for this one to come on DVD

Well, I still stand by my A-. Maybe when I see it again it'll drop to a B+, but I doubt it'll lower dramatically. I like Revolver. I like it a lot. And I'm not going to let any critics or any of you guys change my mind about it.

Looks like it's going to be a film I'll only mention in a "Guilty Pleasures" thread. Oh well.

Lets put a smile on that block
I saw this over the weekend and i really have to say it is probably the worst film i have seen for a very long time.
I'm a fan of Guy, loved Lock Stock and Snatch, and judging by the trailer, Revolver was a return to form. It started off great, it had all the exciting traits of what i loved most about his previous two hits. Brilliant cinematography, interesting and bizarre characters and great dialogue. But by about half way, it felt as though the plot...and most other aspects of the film seemed to be loosing its way. The plot just became ludicrous half way through, and Ritchies attempt to turn the gangsta style story into a more philosophical approach to Fear and its origins just eneded up totally confusing the viewer. The film starts off smart and stylish, and ends dribbling, crying, screaming and insane. I mean your just waiting for some confirmation on what is meant to be happneing, and all you get is Jason Statham and Ray Liotta's characters talking to themselves and crying...for about an hour. I'm not sure whether it was just our showing of it, but at the end instead of being greeted with any credits, all we recieved was a blank screen accompanied by some instrumental music (Which Ritchie used WAY too much of during the film) that played along for five minutes until "Revolver Inc." appeared on the screen and it ended. Maybe it was so bad that Guy asked to have his, and all the rest of the crews names removed from the film. Or Maybe the projectionist hated it so much he tried to destroy the film before the end. I dont know. But i do know I hated it.

Oh dear.
Looks like I'm waiting for it on DVD then!
Blib is the John Locke of our forum, he knows all our evils and is there to guide us along the right path!!!
Yep I'm on the meths again.

I am Jack's custom user title...
Gotta admit Revolver is not what you'd expect from Ritchie and tell you the truth i didn;t even get it the first time but i loved it and i watched it again right away...the last 20 minutes are crucial and very confusing but if you can get yourself thru that it's a great movie to watch....of course not for chick flick fans.

STILL waiting until this shows up on DVD in Canada

Horrorphiliac