Quest for a Favorite Horror

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Recently, it occurred to me that I don't have a favorite horror film. Preposterous, ridiculous! Horror is the genre I love most and not having a favorite is absolutely ludicrous! And so, I have been revisiting some of my favorite horror films from my childhood, as well as watching some I had never seen before. Some of them have been heartbreaking, I can't believe Wes Craven's New Nightmare is so bad to me now! Right now, Child's Play 2 and Sinister are the only ones that have achieved a 4 out of 5 or higher, but I am only just getting started with things. The films I've other-wise listed are the ones I want to revisit, not just because I think they'll be contenders, but because I want to re-watch them in-general.

Anyways, I am open to suggests or recommendations, try to go outside the box. (I watched The Exorcist recently and it didn't do anything for me.)

Feel free to share your own list! I figured this would be a fun activity with Halloween coming up.

Favorite Horror Challenge!

1. The Conjuring 2 - 4.5 out of 5.0
Sinister - 4.2 out of 5.0
3. Child's Play 2 - 4.0 out of 5.0
4. It Follows - 3.6 out of 5.0
5. Freddy v. Jason - 3.5 out of 5.0
6. Trick R Treat - 3.5 out of 5.0
7. Scream 2 - 3.5 out of 5.0
8. Don't Breathe - 3.5 out of 5.0
9. Saw - 3.4 out of 5.0
10. Child's Play - 3.4 out of 5.0
11. Splice - 3.3 out of 5.0
12. Split - 3.3 out of 5.0
13. Child's Play 3 - 3.0 out of 5.0
14. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 3.0 out of 5.0
15. Halloween - 3.0 out of 5.0
16. Let the Right One In - 3.0 out of 5.0

Films to Revisit!
Slasher:
Maniac
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Supernatural:

Horror/Comedy:
Evil Dead 2
Nina Forever

Thriller/Psychological:
Oldboy
I Saw the Devil
Funny Games (Original)

Science-Fiction:
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Fly (1986 version)

Musical:
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

First Time Watching List:
[/u]

The Thing
What We Do In The Shadows
The Entity

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Definitely re-visit Let the Right One In. It's my favourite vampire film by a country mile
Funnily enough, I keep meaning to watch the original Maniac, I saw the remake and thought it was pretty meh, but the original looks pretty good!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Definitely re-visit Let the Right One In. It's my favourite vampire film by a country mile
Funnily enough, I keep meaning to watch the original Maniac, I saw the remake and thought it was pretty meh, but the original looks pretty good!
I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the new Maniac, but didn't enjoy the original.

Let the Right One In was enjoyable when I watched it the first time, I liked it a fair bit. I have also watched and own Let Me In, which is, about on-par, but slightly inferior, so I won't be revisiting the remake.

Tonight, I'll be watching and writing a review of The Conjuring 2, which I enjoyed a lot when I watched it in theaters. I am hoping I enjoy it just as much as I did in theaters.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The original Maniac was amazing. The remake looks garbage.
The original remake was not amazing in my opinion. The remake, however, really surprised me. I liked the first-person perspective and I really enjoyed Elijah Wood's performance in his role. Maybe I'm wrong though, and maybe I'll dislike it when I revisit it soon.

Camo, is there any film you'd recommend from your favorites that isn't included?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't see An American Werewolf in London on that list.
I actually almost bought An American Werewolf yesterday at Wal-Mart for $5, but decided against it since I'd already bought Turbo Kid, Dawn of the Apes, Conjuring 2, and Nice Guys recently, and couldn't really justify spending so much on DVD. It's definitely on my list of things to check out though.

Originally Posted by Vokzul
The Thing ?
Another title that I'll add to my watch list. I've loved horror ever since I was a little kid, but I realize there is a wide array of films that I still haven't seen that are regarded as such classics.

Definitely try Wolf Creek, and if you're ever bored the sequel is campy fun too, not very scary though.

I myself have only seen remake Last House on the Left

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I own The Devil's Rejects and enjoyed it, I actually bought in not too long ago as well. I've been meaning to re-watch it, but I know I don't consider it as a real "contender". I haven't seen Wolf Creek, for a long time, I really wanted to watch it, after seeing the main-baddie in a film called Chained, but after a friend of mine bashed it after viewing, I sort-of lost enthusiasm to see it. If I can find it somewhere for a cheap price, I'll pick it up though! The Last House on the Left is a classic, and its been a long time since I watched it, so I'll give it another chance soon.

Let me In is not slightly inferior to the original Let the Right one In. It's got higher production value, but once you get past the scary telegraphed vampire shots, you will see it is is clearly inferior and totally misses the point.

Now, if you want a good disturbing Japanese body horror movie, I'll suggest Audition.
If you want a good horror/comedy movie, try What we do in the shadows.

Also, you can watch the Babadook. If you don't expect to be scared, you won't be dissapointed, and it's a pretty good horror movie IMHO.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Let me In is not slightly inferior to the original Let the Right one In. It's got higher production value, but once you get past the scary telegraphed vampire shots, you will see it is is clearly inferior and totally misses the point.

Now, if you want a good disturbing Japanese body horror movie, I'll suggest Audition.
If you want a good horror/comedy movie, try What we do in the shadows..
Let Me In is slightly inferior to the original Let The Right One In. The terrific thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to be right. On another note, having read the novel, neither of them is very faithful, though, I think I prefer their revised narrative over the book's narrative. The book is weird as hell.

I didn't like Audition personally, which sucks, because I was really looking forward to it when I watched it. I didn't find it very disturbing and I never really understood people's infatuation with it. That's just me though.

What We Do In the Shadows is definitely a film that's on my list to watch!

Everybody is allowed an opinion, but only one of two contradicting ones can be right. It's usually mine, but luckily I don't always quibble too hard.

Let's both be right and say it's quite inferior.

On the subject of Torture/Revenge movie, I agree that The Last House on the Left is higher than any other, Wolf Creek included.

Now, I'll include three unusual picks, that kind of make sense if you think about it.

I think The Fly is the best body horror movie there is.
Sunset Bld. is the perfect surreal psychological horror flick.
Scary Movie (the first one) is an okay horror comedy.

I would go for Alien but I suppose it's too many things at once; sci-fi, thriller, horror.

So I would probably opt for The Entity.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
On the subject of Torture/Revenge movie, I agree that The Last House on the Left is higher than any other, Wolf Creek included.

Now, I'll include three unusual picks, that kind of make sense if you think about it.

I think The Fly is the best body horror movie there is.
Sunset Bld. is the perfect surreal psychological horror flick.
Scary Movie (the first one) is an okay horror comedy.
The Fly is a favorite of mine, and is honestly the strongest premeditated contender for my favorite horror film. I've also needed an excuse to watch the Scary Movies again, even if I know none of them are contenders. Sunset Boulevard is a film I've never heard of, high reviews, I'll probably check it out. Thanks!

I looked up The Entity, Martin Scorsese calls it one of the scariest horror films of all time. Intense. I've never seen it, so I'll be sure to add it to the pile of names.

The Entiny is really bad IMO. So many people say it is one of the scariest films and i just don't see it. Maybe the idea is terrifying but IMO the execution is awful.

Have you seen any other Cronenberg Body Horrors? Videodrome is great in my opinion.