Very important
53.42%
39 votes
Not that important
32.88%
24 votes
I don't drink
73 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Two of my country's ( India ) states---Bihar and Kerala---have decided to ban alcohol totally . The prohibition is already in effect in a third state ( Gujarat ) where Gandhi was born because Gandhi was opposed to alcohol .

Which brings me to the question---

I do drink it because my friends drink but would not be affected if prohibition came into effect in the area I live . I can safely say I would be able to live without alcohol .

What about you ?

I know some of my friends' lifestyle would be affected if alcohol was denied to them . Their saturday night fun would be gone .

I don't think someone here would really say that alcohol is straight up important to them (cough, maybe Slob).

BUT personally I don't mind it and I drink it at parties and I enjoy a beer or some wine once in a while. But it's not something I absolutely need in my life. And if a ban come upon the place where I lived, I wouldn't care. I mean, all people would be equal and having fun, not drinking alcohol.

So yeah, I don't care much.

Two of my country's ( India ) states---Bihar and Kerala---have decided to ban alcohol totally . The prohibition is already in effect in a third state ( Gujarat ) where Gandhi was born because Gandhi was opposed to alcohol .

Which brings me to the question---

I do drink it because my friends drink but would not be affected if prohibition came into effect in the area I live . I can safely say I would be able to live without alcohol .

What about you ?

I know some of my friends' lifestyle would be affected if alcohol was denied to them . Their saturday night fun would be gone .
The things we don't hear about – very interesting to know that.

I pretty much only drink on special occasions so it's not that important to my lifestyle, but I enjoy it and wouldn't want myself or anyone else to do without.

Not That Important... I could stop at anytime I want. I like to be drunk with my friends and some girls sometimes it's all fun and at shows it's cool too

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I used to drink a lot especially when I was at shows/concerts but I partied myself out and only really have a beer with dinner, after a long/hot day or maybe a few on a special occasion. And even then all I drink is usually Carling or Holsten for beer, and Grey Goose, Crown Royale and Wild Turkey for liquor.

I think that alcohol is more important for my life than American movies have been but not as important as manga or metal.
I like that answer!

If they tried banning alcohol in the USA again, I would be pissed Not that I'm into drinking, but it's not the governments business to do tell people they can't have alcohol.

Personally I only drink quality handcraft beer I'm a beer snob! But I limit it to 1 beer at a time and I don't mean 1, then another and another! I don't like to get drunk as it always makes me sick. But a 'medium cold' (not ice cold) beer is tasty.

Ashdoc, do those states in India have a high Muslim population? Is that the reason their banning alcohol?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Alcohol was very important to me from my mid 20s to my mid 50s. I usually drank a few beers up to a case a day in my late 40s/early 50s. I was able to keep working and nurture my family, but I did get even more obese than I had been most of my life. I had a close drinking buddy too. Well, he lost his job (a good-paying one) during the recent recession and has never gotten another one. He lost his car and place to live. He's now living permanently in a homeless shelter. He hasn't been diagnosed, but I'm sure he has massive memory loss and more than a few mental illnesses. As for me, in 2012 my ***** hit the fan and I had my stroke 42 months ago, undoubtedly caused by my massively beer-centric diet. I cannot function as a normal person and this includes my basic body elimination functions which I need help from my family with most all the time. I no longer need to drink beer, but I usually have a bottle once a week and on holidays. I still try to take care of my family, but now it's only doing all the bill payments on-line and no longer cleaning the house, laundry and dishes, cooking and various other maintenance around the house, which I did even while I was working but drinking so much afterwards. I know I'm not the usual case and this is not meant to scare off anyone, but I'm probably the stupidest person who thinks he's smart, and I'm paying for it now. This may not have been the proper thread to go into this, and I have discussed some of this in the past, but it just seemed pertinent when I read through this thread. Back to the topic.

I drink occasionally. Every now and then I'll pick up something at the store or order a cocktail at a restaurant. I usually don't have more than a couple of drinks in a day (New Year's Eve and Oscar Night aside) and I don't drink every day so if alcohol was banned I wouldn't really care. Though we tried prohibition once before and it didn't exactly work out.

Master of My Domain
I used to drink a lot, then became a religious man and decided to stay sober. Now I only drink a few times a year.

Ashdoc, do those states in India have a high Muslim population? Is that the reason their banning alcohol?
no , it's not related to muslim population .

women have been in the forefront of the agitation to ban alcohol , because they suffer domestic violence due to it and some of them have lost husbands due to it . the politicians had made promises to ban alcohol to gain women's votes and after winning elections are implementing the promises .

I don't drink, never did and probably never will. I prefer sports (running, cycling, hockey, tennis, badminton, baseball), cinema, reading (philosophy, litterature, manga) and playing video games to alcool and drugs for entertainment.

As for people who do it because it makes them feel good, puts them in a good state of mind, etc. I understand everyone feels down sometime, I'd say that meditation, reading philosophy and sports is a way more efficient and fruitfull way to deal with yourself.

It's not that I have a moral objection agains't it, just that I don't think it's going to positively affect my life if I start.

I like that answer!

If they tried banning alcohol in the USA again, I would be pissed Not that I'm into drinking, but it's not the governments business to do tell people they can't have alcohol.
F**k yeah! Vote Gary for president!

Personally I only drink quality handcraft beer I'm a beer snob! But I limit it to 1 beer at a time and I don't mean 1, then another and another! I don't like to get drunk as it always makes me sick. But a 'medium cold' (not ice cold) beer is tasty.
Meh, I hate those fancy small scale IPA's and stuff. I like the bland mass produced yellow stuff, like Heineken and Stella. Well, but I always was a mainstream guy.

I don't drink, never did and probably never will. I prefer sports (running, cycling, hockey, tennis, badminton, baseball), cinema, reading (philosophy, litterature, manga) and playing video games to alcool and drugs for entertainment.

As for people who do it because it makes them feel good, puts them in a good state of mind, etc. I understand everyone feels down sometime, I'd say that meditation, reading philosophy and sports is a way more efficient and fruitfull way to deal with yourself.

It's not that I have a moral objection agains't it, just that I don't think it's going to positively affect my life if I start.
Don't worry. A little bit of beer doesn't kill anybody. It's like not drinking coffee or tea and actually one can of beer has almost zero effect on your body. I drink beer mostly for the taste not to get really drunk. For drunk I drink Gin or Vodka.

Overall I actually think that not drinking, like EVER, is quite close minded. To never experience the taste of a good lager beer is something like never tasting chocolate and the health risks of drinking one can of it are zero.