Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The 39 Steps (1935)

Stumbled across this gem. Tale of intrigue and derring do. Robert Donat is just magnificent as Richard Hannay. I liked the whole cross country aspect of it too...and he is pretty unflappable. The definition of a "romp"...Hitchcock certainly was a master.

The 39 Steps (1935)

Stumbled across this gem. Tale of intrigue and derring do. Robert Donat is just magnificent as Richard Hannay. I liked the whole cross country aspect of it too...and he is pretty unflappable. The definition of a "romp"...Hitchcock certainly was a master.

Yeah, I really like this one.

There's a made-for-TV remake that is . . . not good.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Lavell Crawford: New Look, Same Funny! (Brian Volk-Weiss, 2019)
6/10
One Girl's Confession (Hugo Haas, 1953)
+ 5/10
Women's Prison (Lewis Seiler, 1955)
6/10
The Ghost of Peter Sellers (Peter Medak, 2018)
6.5/10

Peter Sellers, Peter Medak and Spike Milligan during the disastrous filming of Ghost in the Noonday Sun in 1973.
The Killer That Stalked New York (Earl McEvoy, 1950)
6/10
Blonde Bait AKA Women Without Men (Elmo Williams, 1956)
5/10
Pickup (Hugo Haas, 1951)
6/10
Palm Springs (Max Barbakow, 2020)
6.5/10

Cristin Milioti and Andy Samberg try to get away from their time loop at a Palm Springs wedding.
The Beach House (Jeffrey A. Brown 2019)
6/10
Integration Report I (Madeline Anderson, 1960)
6.5/10 21 min
Betrayed Women (Edward L. Cahn, 1955)
5.5/10
The Old Guard (Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2020)
6.5/10

Super human Charlize Theron of the old guard recruits KiKi Layne as some new blood.
Things Behind the Sun (Allison Anders, 2001)
5.5/10
Murder Made Easy (Dave Palamaro, 2017)
- 6.5/10
Star of India (Arthur Lubin, 1954)
6/10
First Cow (Kelly Reichardt, 2019)
5/10

The latest esoteric Reichardt western stars Orion Lee and John Magaro in Oregon.
Destination Murder (Edward L. Cahn, 1950)
5.5/10
Greyhound (Aaron Schneider, 2020)
- 6.5/10
Days of the Bagnold Summer (Simon Bird, 2019)
+ 6/10
Dating Amber (David Freyne, 2020)
- 6.5/10

Queer Irish teenagers Lola Petticrew and Fionn O'Shea start pretend dating so they can survive school in 1995.

Cash Calls Hell (1966)

+

I watched this crime film because it stars Tatsuya Nakadai, it has a good IMDb rating (7.5), and because I like Japanese movies from this era. It has a bit of a noir feel and it's really well done. Most of the Japanese movies I love give me a strong taste of their culture. This one felt like an American movie except with Japanese people. I think it's probably better than my rating would indicate, but for me it was just a good movie.

THE KARATE KID
(1984)

Re-watch. One of the greatest movies of my lifetime. Pat Morita's performance as the mystical Mr. Miyagi remains to be one of the most captivating, mesmerizing performances of all time.

DAVID FOSTER: OFF THE RECORD
(2019)

First viewing. Insightful documentary on the famed Canadian music composer and producer.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Greyhound (2020)

WW2 naval combat. It's an interesting topic, but the film lacks any sort of personality. It's like a dramatization segment of a documentary with above-average production values (it still looked like a videogame at times). Decent battle scenes but not much else.

Yeah, I really like this one.

There's a made-for-TV remake that is . . . not good.
Yes, watched that at the time, Rupert Penry-Jones as RH. Cast was OK but it never had the "boys own" appeal of this or even the Robert Powell 70s version. Not seen the '59 Kenneth More version but he's such a "stodgy" actor I can't see it being too good.

Apt Pupil (1998)

Ian McKellen and Brad Renfro play a fugitive Nazi war criminal and the neighbour who realises who he is....and uses this knowledge to make him dredge through his past actions and experiences.

There's undertones of homo-eroticism between the 2 main characters that provides an additional edge to their uneasy detente. For the subject matter it really is light-ish take on of the issues that "In a glass Cage" and "The night Porter" do in a much more cerebral way (although, completely different premises). Watchable enough.

Reckon I will be in the minority. I finally watched Friday and that's one and a half hour of my life that I am never getting back.

I could see the 13 year old me in the past laughing at some of the gags. Now I just cringed at pretty much the entire movie.

It was V for Vendetta. I recall seeing it back in 2005 and was highly impressed, but this time, it seemed a lot more relevant than it did back then when it was an authoritarian fantasy. At this point, I think you'd have to try hard to not see it being a more extreme version of where we are now, but thankfully, even in my worst moments I do think that Vendetta is a worse time than now. As much as you can enjoy a dystopian version of despotism, vigilantism and plague, I "enjoyed" the movie until the end. What was supposed to be a triumph seemed to me to not be that at all. I don't want to be a spoiler, but I'd be interested in who thought that the movie had a happy ending. Nevertheless, I did think it was excellent and well worth a view.

It was V for Vendetta. I recall seeing it back in 2005 and was highly impressed, but this time, it seemed a lot more relevant than it did back then when it was an authoritarian fantasy. At this point, I think you'd have to try hard to not see it being a more extreme version of where we are now, but thankfully, even in my worst moments I do think that Vendetta is a worse time than now. As much as you can enjoy a dystopian version of despotism, vigilantism and plague, I "enjoyed" the movie until the end. What was supposed to be a triumph seemed to me to not be that at all. I don't want to be a spoiler, but I'd be interested in who thought that the movie had a happy ending. Nevertheless, I did think it was excellent and well worth a view.

This was one of the first things I rented after joining "Lovefilm" due to a knee operation and being cooped up. Couldn't believe how seriously it took itself and it was just laughable. IMHO an abysmal film.

This was one of the first things I rented after joining "Lovefilm" due to a knee operation and being cooped up. Couldn't believe how seriously it took itself and it was just laughable. IMHO an abysmal film.
I’m inclined to agree. Natalie Portman does her best, but I think you hit the nail on the head there - it’s way too self-serious. Also, too many confined space scenes with too much dialogue that delivers ideas instead of trying to integrate them into a narrative.

Passengers (2016)

1/5

Not much to say. Fancy CGI when Jennifer Lawrence is trapped in a floating ball of water, but that’s about all I can praise.
So, I haven't seen Passengers, but I did really enjoy this video essay about how the video-maker thought that the film could be improved by rearranging the chronology of the film. (WARNING: If you haven't seen the film, this video essay includes explicit details about the ending!)