The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for either. Stagecoach is an archetypal western with great photography but I've never considered it more than good. I believe The Magnificent Seven is the better of the two films, but I voted for a different Sturges film that won't make the list. I feel that 5 of my films won't make it and I'm about ready to mention those but I'll wait a day or two.

I will publish the near misses after the eleventh reveal on the countdown. This will be the nine films in addition to Man of the West that finished 101-110.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Magnificent Seven, I haven't seen this since I reviewed it 6 years ago. I just read my review and apparently I liked it, not loved it. Didn't make my list.
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Numerous problems plagued the production. Filming was done on location in Morelos, Mexico. The problem was the Mexican censors demanded script changes so that Mexican farmers would only be seen in a positive way. They even demanded the farmer's clothes couldn't show dirt.

A young upstart actor, Steve McQueen, took every opportunity to upstage his fellow actors. If you watch McQueen carefully he's always fidgeting or adjusting his hat, etc. Yul Brynner was upset that many of his lines were given to the director's favorites in the movie: Steve McQueen and the German actor Horst Buchholz.

The first script writer was so upset about charges to his work that he demanded his name be removed from the movie. Yul Brynner went so far as to make mounds of dirt to stand on so he would appear taller than McQueen and he hired an assistant to count how many times McQueen touched his hat.

When it was finally finished it was a good western with big star names, but lacking in character development. Many of the big name stars have limited screen time. The Magnificent Seven marks the arrival of a new style of western movie, where the bad guys are the heroes and despite being cold blooded gunslingers they do have their own set of morals.

Stagecoach
...back in the 1930s most westerns were made for kids and shown as Saturday matinees...They featured singing cowboys, simplified stories with 2 dimensional characters. But John Ford's Stagecoach changed all that, with it's complex characters who explore the morals of society through the film's narrative. Seemingly simple, the writing along with the on location shooting elevates the film to, well, the stuff of legends....Not on my list but well deserving of the countdown.
Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939)
I liked it! It's a tightly made movie with no extraneous moments. It's a lot of story packed into 96 minutes of action and characterization, all while being visually stunning.

This has action...with a very mixed group of people all packed like sardines into the stagecoach, evading the threat of Indian attack, and from Geronimo no less. It's very cool that they used Native American actors for the Indian close up shots.

I was impressed by the stuntman who jumped onto the lead horse on the stagecoach, and was 'shot', and then hit the ground, actually sliding under the horses hooves and the stagecoach! That was done without edits, that was real folks! And the most dangerous stunt I've ever seen performed in a movie!

Audiences at the time must have loved seeing Monument Valley. And of course John Ford's amazing camera shots, makes the film look great.

Stagecoach is one of the great early westerns. It might not compare to more modern westerns and that's what most of us are use to, but in it's day it was a damn fine film.

Seen neither.

I started Magnificent Seven hoping to get the watch in before the deadline but I realized I wasn’t in the mood for that type of movie and only saw like 15 minutes...

So far John Ford hasn’t really been for me but I still plan on watching Stagecoach.

Also, a round of a applause for Holden for holdin’ it down in here with a continuously amazingly presented countdown!

...I feel that 5 of my films won't make it and I'm about ready to mention those but I'll wait a day or two.
I'm pretty sure at this point I have 10 westerns, that won't be making it. All are well respected classics, but not really well known to non westerns fans...I'm sure you and Holden have seen them, probably a few other MoFos too, but not enough exposure to make the countdown.

My predictions for my ballot:

1. 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (#29)
2. will definitely make it
3. Open Range (#36)
4. will definitely make it
5. The Quick and the Dead (#42)
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
7. I thought it was definitely going to make it, but this high up I'm not so sure
8. The Revenant (#25)
9. won't make it
10. Dead Man (#26)
11. won't make it
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
13. won't make it
14. won't make it
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
16. will definitely make it
17. Tombstone (#28)
18. Slow West (#95)
19. won't make it
20. won't make it
21. Rango (#41)
22. won't make it
23. won't make it
24. won't make it
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

So 9 or 10 that won't make the cut.

I'll do that as well.

My list:
1. I really really hope so
2. Will make it
3. Will make it
4. Will make it
5. Will make it
6. Will make it
7. Will make it
8. Will make it
9. Will make it
10. Will make it
11. Will make it

12. Johnny Guitar
13. Will make it
14. Hell or High Water
15. Will make it
16. The Revenant
17. Won't make it
18. Will make it
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
22. Maybe
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
24. Stagecoach
25. Maybe

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Seen neither.

Never got around to researching or watching The Magnificent Seven. Stagecoach was one of the first films placed on my F*** You list of Westerns I intentionally avoided.
even though Stagecoach was on my List I HAD to rep you just for the chuckle it caused reading this.

Really surprised to see Johnny Guitar rank outside the top 15

haven't done an update in a while:

2. johnny guitar (nicholas ray, 1954)
5. warlock (edward dmytryk, 1959)
7. the revenant (alejandro gonzalez inarritu, 2015)
8. man of the west (anthony mann, 1958)
11. my darling clementine (john ford, 1946)
15. the naked spur (anthony mann. 1953)
17. day of the outlaw (andre de toth, 1959)
18. bone tomahawk (s. craig zahler, 2015)
19. pale rider (clint eastwood, 1985)
21. the ballad of buster scruggs (coen brothers, 2018)
22. the shootist (don siegel, 1976)
23. winchester ‘73 (anthony mann, 1950)
25. montana belle (allan dwan, 1952)

dead man, stagecoach, hell or high water, and shane were all close to making my list, probably would've made my top 35.
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Make it or Not List:

MY LIST
1. Will Make it
2. Open Range (#2)
3. SHOULD Make it
4. Will Make it
5. Will Make it
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
8. SHOULD Make it
9. Won't Make it
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
14. 3:10 To Yuma '07 (#29)
15. Will Make It
16. Will Make it
17. SHOULD Make it
18. Will Make it
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
21. Might Not Make it
22. The Big Country (#27)
23. Stagecoach (#23)
24. Red River (#56)
25. Won't Make it

2 guaranteed will not make it, one from the Twenties, the other from the Seventies (don't ask me, I ain't tellin till it's time to)
1 from the nineties will be a surprise if it shows up this far up -- but who knows
leaving 6 guarantees and 3 I got my fingers crossed for

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
3:10 to Yuma (1957)

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Liked the ending much better than the original, plus it didn't have that terrible Frankie Laine song. Terrific job by director: James Mangold.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Originally Posted by ;2102056
Brand new (BETA) Western watch-list:

https://www.movieforums.com/lists/custom/135

@John-Connor, I tried viewing your Western watch-list, but you have it set as "private".

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Magnificent Seven a while back, (probably for the 1960s countdown), but I didn't really like it much. I hadn't planned to rewatch it for this countdown, but again, a lucky garage sale find of the DVD made me change my mind and give it another chance. I liked it better on the rewatch, and I even considered it for my list, but in the end, there were other movies that I liked more, so it didn't make my list. But I think it probably has the best musical score of any movie on this list.

Stagecoach was a pretty good movie, but it wasn't one of my favorites of the John Wayne movies that I watched for this countdown, so I didn't consider it for my list. (But it was much better than the 1966 remake of this movie.)

I'm not surprised. The top 15 is going to be all about Sergio Leone, Eastwood and Tarantino.
That's disappointing if true