The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

As another Earps vs. Clantons gunfight at the O.K. Corral story, Tombstone is much closer to John Sturges’ Hour of the Gun than it is to Ford’s My Darling Clementine (#44), highlighting the rage and the many killings that followed in the aftermath. Narrated by Robert Mitchum the “good guys” are Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp), Sam Elliott (Virgil Earp), Bill Paxton (Morgan Earp), and Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday) while the primary baddies are Powers Boothe (Curly Bill), Stephen Lang (Ike Clanton), Michael Biehn (Johnny Ringo), and Thomas Haden Church (Billy Clanton). The huge cast is rounded out by Dana Delany, Billy Zane, Michael Rooker, Jason Priestley, Billy Bob Thornton, Terry O'Quinn, John Corbett, Harry Carey Jr., and even a cameo by Charlton Heston. Made 118 years after the famous 30-second gunfight the original intent seems to have been to set the record straight (or at least straighter) after generations of myth building, some perpetrated by Wyatt Earp himself. Screenwriter Kevin Jarre (Glory) was to make his directorial debut, but a handful of days into production he was fired and replaced by the Italian George P. Cosmatos, best known for the Stallone actioners Cobra and Rambo: First Blood Part II. Recently it was revealed Cosmatos was such a volatile figure on set that Kurt Russell stepped in as the uncredited shadow director and several of his fellow actors credit him with saving the movie. Whoever should or shouldn’t get credit the resulting film is chock full of references to earlier Westerns, and if it aimed to be more historically accurate it succeeds only in further myth building.

Hitting the screens six months ahead of Lawrence Kasdan’s bigger budgeted and more serious Wyatt Earp, this rougher, more over-the-top version featuring an incredibly quirky and amusing performance by Kilmer is what has survived in the consciousness of filmgoers, including MoFo voters. Tombstone was on eighteen ballots with a first, three fifth, and two sixth place votes. It finished with the same point total as Mangold’s 3:10 to Yuma but by appearing on one more ballot it finishes one spot higher.

In the 1950s as television became such a dominant cultural force there were all sorts of predictions that very soon motion pictures were no longer going to be necessary. The Studios fought back against this sentiment by enhancing the cinematic experience including the introduction of various widescreen processes that would make going to the movies something that could not be duplicated at home. Westerns very quickly became the dominant form of drama on the television airwaves and William Wyler’s The Big Country is exactly the kind of production that aimed to outsize its broadcast cousins. A gigantic color canvas and an all-star cast are among the highlights of this tale of feuding cattle barons (Charles Bickford and Burl Ives), the woman (Jean Simmons) who owns the land with the key water source between the two properties, and the stoic former sailor from the east (Gregory Peck) who unintentionally stirs things up. The cast also includes Carroll Baker, Charlton Heston, Chuck Connors, and Alfonso Bedoya. Jerome Moross’ rousing symphonic score was nominated for an Oscar and Burl Ives won Best Supporting Actor. The kind of sweeping epic that they just don’t make anymore, The Big Country was on seventeen ballots including a tenth, three ninth, two fifth, a fourth, and somebody’s first place vote.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Big Country made my list at seventeen. The big epic drama of Giant has never done much for me but I instantly fell for The Big Country. Archetypal characters pitched at a high level but I totally buy into it. Peck and Simmons are wonderful but it is the actors around them that make it for me, especially Burl Ives and Chuck Heston. As satisfying a picture as it is, The Big Country doesn’t seem to have the same sort of cache as other Westerns from the 1950s nor in the filmography of William Wyler (The Best Years of Our Lives, Ben-Hur) so I am happy and a bit surprised it placed so highly here.

That makes a lucky thirteen of mine.

HOLDEN PIKE'S LIST
5. Little Big Man (#38)
7. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (#83)
10. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. My Name is Nobody (#79)
14. The Grey Fox (#66)
16. Hombre (#88)
17. The Big Country (#27)
18. Pursued (#73)
19. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
21. One-Eyed Jacks (#32)
23. The Professionals (#45)
25. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

The Big Country so impressed me when I watched it for the 50s countdown that it made that list and this one. Everything about the movie lives up to the title of The Big Country, but what stands out for me is Gregory Peck's character's inflexible adherence to integrity and honor. And it feels totally authentic and believable because it's, well, Gregory Peck. I had it at #9.

My List:

5. High Plains Drifter (#31)
6. Little Big Man (#39)
7. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
9. The Big Country (#27)
10. The Shootist (#58)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
15. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)(#48)
18. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (#76)
19. The Naked Spur (#86)
20. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (#67)
22. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
24. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)
25. Johnny Guitar (#30)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Big Country is my #13. I like the others a whole lot, especially the complex, visually-striking Johnny Guitar.

The Big Country (William Wyler, 1958)

Glorious Movie-Movie is one of the best westerns ever made, with a ton of memorable characters, albeit centered around a rather strange central character for a western. That character is former ship captain Jim McKay (Gregory Peck) who has gotten fianced into a Texas ranching family by way of Pat Terrell (Carroll Baker), who eventually shows herself to misunderstand him and be extremely superficial. Pat's father, The Major (Charles Bickford), tries to rule his neck of the prairie with the help of his practically-adopted son Steve Leach (Charlton Heston) who has a yearning for Pat himself. What McKay doesn't know is that he's walked into the middle of a feud between The Major and rival Rufus Hannassey (Burl Ives) who has his own cross to bear in the person of his oldest son Buck (Chuck Connors). The person who seems to hold the key to this war is schoolteacher Julie (Jean Simmons) who owns the Big Muddy, the river where both families need to water their cattle.

Aside from just being tremendous cinematic storytelling on every level, The Big Country shows a love of the land even when the humans roaming over that land are incredibly corrupt and violent. Nobody seems to respect McKay, except for perhaps the Major's Mexican jack-of-all-trades Ramón (the awesome Alfonso Bedoya). They constantly think that he's a coward, a dude, or just plain stupid, but they have no concept of what it takes to navigate a ship through two oceans and command the men onboard at the same time. All the acting is beautiful, almost all of them playing iconic characters. William Wyler likes to emphasize how "big" the "country" is, and he's aided by DP Franz Planer and especially composer Jerome Moross, whose score seems to have later been interpolated into both Elmer Bernstein's The Magnificent Seven and the Marlboro commercials. I suppose if The Big Country were to remind me of another movie it would be George Stevens' Giant which I also need to add to my mafo 100.

My List

1. Little Big Man
7. One-Eyed Jacks
8. The Professionals
10. Red River
11. Oklahoma!
12. Hud
13. The Big Country
14. Giant
20. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!

Sure I saw Tombstone back in the day but I didn't revisit it for this and, in line with earlier entries as I barely remember anything about it, I'll not even count it as 'seen'. Did fit The Big Country in and enjoyed it well enough for it to be in contention for a while but unfortunately it didn't manage to stay in the running for a spot on my ballot.

Seen: 39/74
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.03):
26. The Sun Shines Bright
25. The Revenant

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Tombstone wasn't on my list either but it's pretty enjoyable.

The Big Country was on my list and at this point I actually didn't count on it making the list for some reason. I never thought it would get this far.

Marks 2 in one shot for me

Tombstone was my #21
The Big Country was my #23

Not much to say other than one is a classic, the other is a modern-ish classic.
Cant go wrong with a bit of Kurt Russell backed up by a legendary cast

My List  

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I don't know how a film manages to be so corny yet so watchable at the same time. High on my list, can't remember where exactly.

Legendary turn by Val Kilmer as Doc, steals every scene he's in, and props to Michael Biehn as a seriously menacing Johny Ringo.

It strangely tries to pass itself off as historical but I feel like in reality Wyatt Earp was probably a huge piece of ****, and the Cowboys were his competitors rather than this Good vs Evil Hollywood nonsense, but damn if I don't watch Tombstone every few years.

"You retired too?" "Not me, I'm in my prime"

I don't know how a film manages to be so corny yet so watchable at the same time. High on my list, can't remember where exactly.

Legendary turn by Val Kilmer as Doc, steals every scene he's in, and props to Michael Biehn as a seriously menacing Johny Ringo.

It strangely tries to pass itself off as historical but I feel like in reality Wyatt Earp was probably a huge piece of ****, and the Cowboys were his competitors rather than this Good vs Evil Hollywood nonsense, but damn if I don't watch Tombstone every few years.

"You retired too?" "Not me, I'm in my prime"

Most historical Westerns are the same.
Rather than sullying the name of a person who has been romanticized in Dime Novels and popular storytelling, they tend keep to the romantic vision people are most comfortable with.

Billy The Kid movies are probably the worst for it.

It's one reason I liked Unforgiven so much. It's not based on a real person, but it taps into the Dime Novel mentality with English Bob and his biographer when Little Bill starts unraveling Bob's lies.

Most historical Westerns are the same.
Rather than sullying the name of a person who has been romanticized in Dime Novels and popular storytelling, they tend keep to the romantic vision people are most comfortable with.

Billy The Kid movies are probably the worst for it.

It's one reason I liked Unforgiven so much. It's not based on a real person, but it taps into the Dime Novel mentality with English Bob and his biographer when Little Bill starts unraveling Bob's lies.
Yea I agree, I'm not being overly critical on Tombstone (which I love), but parts of the movie like the OK corral shootout they try to be extremely historically accurate but then take great historical liberties elsewhere.

Lone Survivor is a modern example, it passes itself off as accurate but it's a huge propaganda piece, where the reality is a small seal team got ambushed and shot to hell and Marcus Luttrell ran away for his life (his magazines were full).

I’ve long counted Tombstone among my all-time favorite movies, but the last time I watched it, the flaws really started to show. It’s pretty corny and the slow-motion is just awful. But even so, the film is still gorgeously shot and I do still love Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. I doubt the film will still make the cut if I ever redo my top 100 favorite films, but I did still make room for it on my ballot at #17.

I didn’t like The Big Country.

My Ballot:
1. 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (#29)
3. Open Range (#36)
5. The Quick and the Dead (#42)
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
17. Tombstone (#28)
18. Slow West (#95)
21. Rango (#41)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

The Big Country was on my list. Just watched it for the second time this year and it's pretty great.

I never loved Tombstone as much as other guys my age did. It's fine but nothing more. All it showing up does is remind me that one of my top five Westerns didn't even make the 100. Bummer. Quaid will always be the superior Holliday, Costner the superior Earp.

The Big Country was on my list. Just watched it for the second time this year and it's pretty great.

I never loved Tombstone as much as other guys my age did. It's fine but nothing more. All it showing up does is remind me that one of my top five Westerns didn't even make the 100. Bummer. Quaid will always be the superior Holliday, Costner the superior Earp.
Damn! Brave words right there!

I do agree that Dennis Quaid gave the definitive Method performance of Holliday in Kasdan's film, and it's too bad that one is so less seen, if only for that reason alone. Out of all the movie versions of the man so far his is the only one that actually seems to be on the verge of death by tuberculosis. Kirk Douglas and Victor Mature look like Olympic athletes. Kilmer's Doc often seems he has wandered in from another movie, but it is fitfully amusing.

I don't think I've seen Wyatt Earp since it was in theaters so who knows, seanc may very well be right. I love Costner and had intended to rewatch it before the deadline, but a combination of too much procrastination, a bit of burnout, and not being able to convince myself to tackle that runtime stopped it from happening.

Seeing that points tie with 3:10 to Yuma does kind of make me regret giving Tombstone any points, though.

Yes, yes and yes! I had The Big Country as my #1 choice

To me The Big Country is the perfect movie and Gregory Peck is like Captain Picard back in the old west. Come to think of it, Peck's character had been a sea captain ...I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one that loves this film!

I almost voted for Tombstone, it's good fun, much like The Quick and the Dead, only it's longer. Truth be told the vendetta sequence at the end where Wyatt Earp goes on a killing rampage gets tiresome...But still it's a colorful film, that plays like a tall tale that's told over a campfire on a star lite night.

I also had The Big Country high on my 50's which is when I came across it. I had never heard anything about it so I just asked Mark if it was worth watching. Of course he said yes and I ended up nominating it for a HoF which helped a couple of others fall in love with it. I don't get why it's not a more high profile classic.

I watched Tombstone for this and it was entertaining.

3. Little Big Man (#39)
5. The Big Country (#27)
7. Shane (#43)
9. One-Eyed Jacks (#32)
10. My Darling Clementine (#44)
11. The Shootist (#57)
18. Day of the Outlaw (#77)
19. Red River (#56)
21. The Cowboys (#50)
23. Open Range (#36)
24. The Furies (#84)
25. Winchester 73 (#53)