The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have a super busy weekend coming up including going out of town so you get a whopping six reveals today.

The first truly iconic cinematic rendering of the gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona’s O.K. Corral was appropriately composed by the master, John Ford. No Wayne this time rather it is the laconic Henry Fonda who portrays lawman Wyatt Earp, with Victor Mature as the tubercular Doc Holliday. It is based on a not particularly accurate biography about Earp that was the basis of two earlier flicks in the 1930s, both called Frontier Marshall, the second of which starred Randolph Scott as Earp. While the book may have much more bluster than history Ford adds his own brand of Western mythology into the story. Ward Bond and Tim Holt are Morgan and Virgil Earp while Walter Brennan leads the Clantons including John Ireland. The basic story is so very well known now, even if you aren’t a hardcore Western devotee, but through Ford’s lense and set against his glorious Monument Valley it is a must see. My Darling Clementine was on thirteen ballots, though with only two top ten votes: a tenth and a second.

Speaking of icons Shane wanders onto the countdown at 43. Alan Ladd was about to turn forty when he played the character he would forever be identified with, a quiet if affable loner who doesn’t want trouble but is lightning fast with a gun. Director George Stevens (#51 Giant) wanted to cast Montgomery Clift but he was unavailable, which was the best thing that ever happened to Ladd. Shane happens upon a modest spread in Wyoming run by the Starrett’s: Joe (Van Heflin), his wife Marian (Jean Arthur), and their young son Joey (Brandon deWilde). He takes an instant liking to the curious boy and Marian is drawn to the handsome stranger. Joe hires him on to help with the ranch where he soon learns the individual homesteaders are being harassed and threatened by a cattle baron who has a pack of enforcers led by the vicious Jack Wilson (Jack Palance). Guess what that leads to? Shane was on eight ballots with a healthy five top ten nods: a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, a seventh, and a tenth.

After Sam Raimi made his mark with low budget Horror but before he was given the keys to Spider-Man he got a decent budget and some big names to appear in a hip, stylish riff on Spaghetti Westerns with The Quick and the Dead. Sharon Stone stars as the nameless gunfighter known only as The Lady who rides into the town of Redemption. The town is known for its annual quick draw tournament, a single-elimination excuse for lots of gunplay in the street. There are rules and a champion, but mostly it is a reason to have twenty showdowns instead of one. Gene Hackman runs the town and the tournament and some of the other colorful participants include a former gunslinger turned preacher (Russell Crowe) and a young cocky Kid (Leonardo DiCaprio), with the likes of Lance Henriksen, Tobin Bell, and Keith David adding their brand of fun. The Lady is there for revenge but all of that hardly matters in this exercise of style. The Quick and the Dead received ten votes, six of them top tens: a fourth place, two fifth, and three tenth place nods (are you all in a club or something?).

The vote totals are jumping at a greater rate, now. El Dorado (#47) was the first with over a hundred points (102) and just a few spots further we are already in the high 120s and jump right into the 140s! We are starting to hit the true consensus picks, not just two or three or even six MoFos voting for them but double digits and some high-value top votes.

Rango did well at the box office, as most decently budgeted animated movies for children do. But while it finished behind other animated fare that year like Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, and Rio what it does have going for it is a smart and fun spin on the Western using anthropomorphic animals voiced by some good actors. Johnny Depp stars as the title character, a chameleon who accidentally falls from the car he was being transported in by his owner. He is in the punishing desert outside of Las Vegas and happens upon an Old West style town inhabited by turtles, lizards, mice, moles, bats, and other assorted critters, all representing the genre's common characters. After lucking out and killing a menacing hawk he is made sheriff. There’s a fight over water rights, a notorious gunslinging rattlesnake (Bill Nighy), an iguana love interest (Isla Fisher), a possibly corrupt mayor (Ned Beatty), etc. Alfred Molina, Harry Dean Stanton, Ray Winstone, and Stephen Root also lend their voices, and Timothy Olyphant shows up as The Spirit of the West/The Man with No Name. With references to a dozen Westerns plus Chinatown, Raising Arizona, Singin' in the Rain, and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas this clearly isn’t “just” for kids. Rango was on eleven ballots including third, fourth, sixth, and ninth placers.

See you Monday, Kids!

I haven't seen either of the first set and have seen but don't like either of the second set. I love Victor Mature but just couldn't get into My Darling Clementine. I wanted to punch that stupid kid in the face in Shane.

The Proposition looks like something I might like. Maybe I'll check it out.

None of those four made my list.

Of them My Darling Clementine and Rango were the closest to making it, the former is a very nice rendition of the famous shootout at the O.K. Corral whilst the latter really pops off the screen and is a rather amusing tale imo. Sadly though we all only have a maximum of 25 spots, if we had 50 one, the other, or even both may well have found a spot.

Shane would undoubtedly be a better watch for me were it not for the incredibly annoying little brat, he doesn't quite kill the movie for me but he certainly does lower any enjoyment.

Didn't get round to The Quick And The Dead for this. I know I've seen it in distant days but can't honestly say I remember much at all from it and as such won't be counting it as 'seen'.

Seen: 32/60
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
40. The Iron Horse
39. The Man From Laramie

Today's third set were both on my list.

Before I even knew who Russell Crowe was and before I considered myself a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio I saw and loved The Quick and the Dead. It's got lots of action, lots of humor, a quick pace, Russell Crowe in chains , a very young Leo, Gene Hackman chewing up the scenes, Gary Sinise, and a badass leading lady. I had it at #5.

Rango, like a certain other Johnny Depp Western, is a movie that for the longest time I couldn't decide if I even liked despite multiple viewings. I love animation, but wasn't so sure about the character designs in this one. And, like that other Depp movie, the last time I watched it I finally decided that I do like it. I voted for it at #21.

My Ballot:
5. The Quick and the Dead (#42)
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
18. Slow West (#95)
21. Rango (#41)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

Count me as a fan of: My Darling Clementine and The Quick and the Dead...I've not see Rango..but I did survey my watch of Shane

My Darling Clementine
(John Ford, 1946)

My Darling Clementine is quite a bit different in story construction than Tombstone and other movies about Wyatt Earp. At 97 minutes it's fairly fast paced and yet nothing ever feels rushed. That's because all of the superfluous material was parred down to the basic story of morals vs immorality....And that's thanks to Fox studio main man, Darryl F. Zanuck.

John Ford originally had shot a 2 hour film that didn't go over well with Zanuck, who then took over editing and honed the film down to 97 minutes. The result is a film that focuses on how one man comes to a lawless town and through his sense of right and wrong, makes the town livable.

The story of course is pure fiction
, almost nothing you see actually happened and Wyatt Earp was not the good-doer that's pictured here. But so what this is a movie, not historical research and the way the story is told is very effective.

Henry Fonda plays Wyatt Earp
, the epitome of laid back. Which works well with a powerful, yet simplistic story. Fonda is always enjoyable on screen and this was one big reason why I enjoyed this so much.

The other reason was the stunningly effective cinematography by John Ford. Ford is well known for his scenic landscape shots in Monument Valley in the Southwest of America. But what really impressed me was Ford's compositions that made use of vast empty spaces to give the feeling of utter loneliness. The empty spaces, when combined with the subject in the distance...and surrounded by darkness, gives a real stark beauty to the film.

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

A whole lot better movie than you think it is! You can call this a popcorn movie if you want, but I'll call it damn good film making! Just forget the silly notion that only a man can be the tough guy gunslinger in a western. Watch the movie and pay close attention to the details, especially the scene transitions. A scene transition is where a scene is over and the director and film editor needs to get you to the next scene and do it seamlessly and with style. If Orson Welles had a chance to see The Quick and the Dead he would have been impressed with the scene transitions...and with the fluid and artistic cinematography too. It's too bad people don't pay closer attention to how a film is put together, because if they did The Quick and the Dead would have a much higher rating on IMDB than it does.

The cast is great, everyone of them...it's star filled with on screen personalities that are as colorful as a western sunset and scenes that are engaging and just plain fun to watch.

This is one of the better westerns I've seen.

Shane (George Stevens 1953)

Stunning scenery filling the screen with majestic images, coupled with an insipid b-movie storyline, bland wooden actors and a strange man-boy love relationship...makes Shane the classic that probably shouldn't be.

No denying that the cinematography and production values are amazing. But the story is straight out of the 1940s matinee style, where the good guys are really, really good and the bad guys are, well, really bad! The characters are like cardboard cutouts. Alan Ladd as the gunslinger good guy is woefully miscast. He has as much screen charisma here as the old tree stump did. Jean Arthur as the dutiful pioneer wife adds nothing to the movie. Only Van Heflin manage to do some real acting.

But what stinks up the film is the annoying, freaky little kid with the shrill girly voice, who through out the film coos his love for Shane. Is this kid mental or is this a man-boy pedophile thing? 'I just loooove Shane.' I mean this kid really loves the blonde man in buckskin. We get more close-ups of Joey's face than Elizabeth Taylor would ever get in a movie. Joey's motivation for loving Shane seems to go way behind hero worship too. It's odd for the 1950s, it would even be odd today.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Darling Clementine.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	65330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rapida-y-Mortal-Peliculas-Raras.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	65331   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	65332   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Darling Clementine (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	65333  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Professionals is my #8. Everything about it is consummate professionalism - from its witty script, awesome cast, beautiful locations, ultra suspense and rip-roaring action. Lee Marvin's final line is incredible.The Proposition rs a good-looking film with an unusual story. I love Nick Cave but I didn't vote for it. I'll get to the others later.

My List

8. The Professionals
10. Red River
11. Oklahoma!
12. Hud
14. Giant
20. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!

Shane would undoubtedly be a better watch for me were it not for the incredibly annoying little brat...
Thank you. I hate Shane for this precise reason.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Welcome to the human race...
The Proposition was my #12. Australia's history with Westerns (such as they are considering the geography) goes as far back as 1906's The History of the Kelly Gang and extends all the way up to this year's True History of the Kelly Gang, spanning from Great Train Robbery-esque silent staginess of the former to the rough-and-tumble revisionism of the latter - The Proposition definitely skews towards the latter and ends up being the best example of an Australian Western (unless you want to get all genre-bending and argue that the Mad Max movies are Westerns, I guess). Nick Cave's well-documented capacity for poetry bleeds through into every frame of a tale that takes a classic Western trope - the outlaw forced to do the law's dirty work...or else - and shines through underneath all the grit and blood to make its point about the thin line between the civilisation purported by Ray Winstone's captain and the barbarism thoroughly exemplified by Danny Huston's bushranger (to say nothing of various supporting turns that also tend to represent a dim view of English imperialism, whether it's a deranged John Hurt eating Christmas dinner with an extremely-rotted corpse or David Wenham as the bowler-hatted bureaucrat who doesn't think the eponymous proposition is an adequate solution). Throughout it all, Guy Pearce makes for the stoic anti-hero who's forced to weigh one brother against another and bear witness to the madness of not just the middle of the outback but the supposedly superior culture that exists at its edges. Archetypal Western material, but done so well.

As long as I'm talking Australian Westerns here, I think I'll throw in a few other recommendations. I feel pretty confident in guessing that I'm the only person who voted for Warwick Thornton's Sweet Country, the story of an indigenous farmhand who has to go on the run after killing a white farmer in self-defence. Much as revisionist Westerns in America had a tendency to interrogate racial tensions between its white, black, and Native American citizens, so too does that tension apply to quite a few of these films and often build around an indigenous person trying to escape from the white man's justice (which tends to be depicted as excessive, unwarranted, or downright hypocritical). Fred Schepisi's The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (which I should have voted for in retrospect, but while compiling my ballot it slipped my mind) arguably laid the foundation for a film like Sweet Country with its tale of the eponymous outlaw, though it takes a more ambiguous and unsettling approach to how it depicts him and his mistreatment by (and retribution towards) the world around him. Rolf de Heer's The Tracker offers a variation that centres on David Gulpilil as the eponymous tracker leading a posse of white lawmen after an indigenous man accused of murdering a white woman, though that offers its own complications as any shortcomings are blamed on him and the white men quite easily end up squabbling amongst themselves. Aside from that, the aforementioned Ned Kelly movies are both worth a watch - the former has its place in film history as one of the first feature-length silent films (if not the first), while the latter's an enjoyably punchy means of not letting the truth get in the way of a good yarn (boldly beginning with a disclaimer about how "none of what follows is true"). I couldn't comment on either the 1970 Ned Kelly with Mick Jagger or the 2003 one with Heath Ledger, though.

Anyway, back to the other films on this list...

Of all the ones I've seen, Shane is probably the one I like the most and the one that came closest to cracking my own list, but it wasn't that much of a contender. I could probably do with giving it another shot, which is arguably true of the others. A lot of them (The Professionals, My Darling Clementine, Hud, Rango) tend to be in that range where I can respect them as classics but they didn't leave a hugely positive impression on me personally (though the latter is an intriguing entry because it's probably going to be the only animated Western we get on the list and at least it's got that Gore Verbinski weirdness being used effectively). I recall The Quick and the Dead being a step below - as much as I like Sam Raimi and a good Western, I don't remember this one quite clicking with me. Still, I bought a copy even after an underwhelming first viewing so I'm thinking I might give it another shot. El Dorado is one of the few Westerns I've watched in the past six months and I'll also echo the remarks (complaints?) that it's essentially recycling Rio Bravo to far lesser effect, plus it has a scene where James Caan's character pretends to be Chinese that pretty much ruins whatever goodwill I might have been willing to extend to it. Oh, well.

I never even considered Shane. Seen it once, didn't make much of an impression. I think Shane suffers from hearing about it too much. Kinda like going to the cinema to see a movie everyone is raving about and feeling let down.

The Quick And The Dead was my #10 spot and 7th to make it.
The whole movie basically takes every trope and stereotype from Westerns, dials them up to 11. Loads of fun.

You know, once we hit the top 50, I was expecting it to not make it
I think with it being a highly stylised western, kinda comic-book in nature it would have been glossed over.
Then Holden's rundown says out of the 10 votes it got, it was top 10 6 times
Wickid!

01. Young Guns (1988) --- 61st

06. The Cowboys (1972) --- 50th

10. The Quick And The Dead (1995) --- 42nd
11. The Sons Of Katie Elder (1965) --- 100th

18. Westworld (1973) --- 69th

19. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973) --- 67th

20. 3:10 To Yuma (1957) --- 48th

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I haven't seen either of the first set and have seen but don't like either of the second set. I love Victor Mature but just couldn't get into My Darling Clementine. I wanted to punch that stupid kid in the face in Shane.

The Proposition looks like something I might like. Maybe I'll check it out.
Yes. Yes, you would! Very much so.

I like Quick And The Dead quite a bit. Definitely considered it but I think it came up short. Fun movie. Seen Rango but didn't care much about it and don't remember it at all.

Rango was my #14.

I like the movie but wouldn’t say I love it. But once again the fact that I had to really scrape the bottom barrel for just a partial this still made my list.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
A slow burn of a ride-along here with just one submission showing up to count. I'll just keep taunting my mule with a half-rotten carrot and maybe I'll catch up to the wagon train sooner or later.

4. Rango (41)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I have seen the Quick and the Dead and forgot to mention it in my list, like the few others. Sharon Stone with a loaded gun in her hand 😍.

As for watching movies that figured in this list.

I watched Red River after reading so many good reviews here and enjoyed it, despite not liking the ending.

Movies I have watched after seeing them on the list.
1) Slow West
2) The Naked Spur
3) Red River

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I should note that for years I was of the same mind as MV, up there. I just could never decide if I liked or hated Rango. I think I went into the theater expecting something different. Perhaps I was bored with Depp at the time. I don't remember. One day, not long ago, I tried to watch it again and suddenly everything just clicked. This is Chinatown(!!) with a lizard in the wild west, just down the road from modern civilization? While this would never make a top 20 for me in general, it does tick a LOT of checks for me. Considering I'm not much of a western fan, this movie helps bridge that with what I do enjoy and that helped nudge it up quite high on my list at a solid four-spot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I wrote this 12 years ago - I think that Shane still has it. Although it's been longer than I've been married since I've actually watched the film in its entirety, I've now indoctrinated Brenda and Sarah. Even so, I was able to quote many lines verbatim, but what do you want? I've seen it at least a dozen times. I feel like giving Shane a higher rating because it covers so much more ground than the average western ever even attempts. Shane is mostly seen from the viewpoint of the youngest person in the film, Joey (a terrific Brandon de Wilde; go ahead now and stick him in the Bakers Dozen Thread as an annoying kid ). However, there are other perspectives, and one of my favorites is the perspective of the Grand Teton Mountains. I've been to the Tetons three times, and it's a massively impressive sight to behold, both in real life and in Shane.

Shane is one of those films which seems to exist in some alternative universe. It seems to be a fairy tale, complete with Good Vs. Evil, so it's almost as if Joey is experiencing his bedtime stories, but the other characters in his family, his mom (Jean Arthur) and his dad (Van Heflin), are also experiencing either a fairy tale or a prayer answered. Shane (Alan Ladd) seems to be the only person who can deal with the dark, evil curse covering the Snake River Valley. Many of the visuals are wonderful, but it is also the fact that some scenes are obviously shot on sets with fake Tetons in the background and the dark filters seem to go overboard. Even so, for any visual flaws which the film occasionally exhibits, the sound design is spotless. Shane is one film where you really hear the loud parts, whether they are fist fights or gunshots. Director George Stevens utilizes his sound as masterfully as Hitchcock.

The supporting cast of Shane is truly exemplary, whether it be Jack Palance's "Angel of Death", Wilson, or Elisha Cook's little man with a big ego, Stonewall. Add in such great character actors as Edgar Buchanan, Ben Johnson, Ellen Corby, and Emile Meyer (the priest in Paths of Glory), and what is going on with the characters is just as interesting as the visual backdrop and the fairy tale aspect of the film. Everyone should experience Shane. Yes, it's a western, but even for those who don't like westerns, it's a coming of age story and perhaps one of the earliest "revisionist" westerns ever. After all, when Shane rides off at the end (by the way, he's NOT slumping), it's difficult not to believe that the end of an era has arrived.

My Darling Clementine is a gorgeously-shot version of the gunfight of the OK Corral and the events that led to it. The Quick and the Dead is a decent film with a good cast and a few gothic touches. Rango [along with Shane] is the only other one I considered for my list - a wittily written and animated flick. However, no points for any of them.

You know, once we hit the top 50, I was expecting it to not make it
I think with it being a highly stylised western, kinda comic-book in nature it would have been glossed over.
Then Holden's rundown says out of the 10 votes it got, it was top 10 6 times
Wickid!
I was getting worried, too, especially with some of the other movies that had shown up. So happy to be wrong!