The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
hope ur keeping the ps3 and the xbox as ur memories
I collect old consoles. I've got 3 PS1s, 3 PS2s and now 2 OG Xboxes - at one stage I had 3 of those as well.

I collect old consoles. I've got 3 PS1s, 3 PS2s and now 2 OG Xboxes - at one stage I had 3 of those as well.
same here espcially my brother aswell but i stopped a while ago, oh cool i only have ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4,xbox original,xbox 360,xbox one x,wii,N64,sega mega drive,dreamcast,game cube

As it's Christmas, I decided to take advantage of the many gaming bundle deals on offer and treat myself!

To an unused (I can't say it's 'new' as it was made around 15 years ago), original Dualshock 2!
It's not genuine.

Despite the seller saying they took it from a boxed console, it's 50g lighter (I have a couple of original DS2s), has a shorter cable, different font and no pressure sensitive buttons. One of the analogue sticks clicks when you move it.

Yeah.

I got refunded immediately and they didn't ask for it back, which tells its own story.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The only ones I wish I still had are the Nintendo, 3DO and Dreamcast. I still have my Genesis for some reason and not even Forgotten Worlds could tempt me.

there's a frog in my snake oil
The very idea of a PS2 controller that doesn't rattle with internal debris and have thumb skin imprinted into its lumpen sticks makes that thing look like the holy grail

(It'd almost feel wrong to play with an actual fresh one though )

It's not genuine.

Despite the seller saying they took it from a boxed console, it's 50g lighter (I have a couple of original DS2s), has a shorter cable, different font and no pressure sensitive buttons. One of the analogue sticks clicks when you move it.

Yeah.

I got refunded immediately and they didn't ask for it back, which tells its own story.
I can see you in the kitchen wearing a labcoat, pulling your scale out of the cupboard...

In the Beginning...
Thanks to Steam's current sale, my list of "games I own but have yet to start" just grew by three. Here's the complete list:

ABZU
Alien Isolation
The Bard's Tale
Drizzlepath
Elite Dangerous
The First Tree
Jotun
KHOLAT
Nephise
Nephise Begins
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Will someone please do all my work for me so I can goof off?

I can see you in the kitchen wearing a labcoat, pulling your scale out of the cupboard...
It wasn't even that, I promise.

As soon as I took it out of the package it felt suspiciously light. I only actually weighed the thing when I was emailing the seller.

I've been stalling and stalling on having to rank my top 5 games of the year, mainly because I find myself getting dragged back to one game in particular. Also, I started Hollow Knight today.

Some people I know love Hollow Knight to bits, some think it pretty unremarkable. From what I'd seen before going in, I definitely felt I'd fall into the latter category, and now I'm not so sure.

There have been attempts before to make a 2D Souls style game but I think Hollow Knight succeeds in that regard because it doesn't try to replicate what is now its own genre in 2D form, but to distil some of the elements which make From's games so compelling for so many. It's a Metroidvania, which is what Dark Souls is at its heart. It's also populated by NPCs quietly and unremarkably trying to make something of the the decayed world in which they find themselves. Enemies also drop things which are sort of like souls.

It's kinda gorgeous.

Part III (in a series I now internally subtitle: 'Why Yoda will inevitably buy VR one day...' )

Fallout 4: Still Going Forth

Loops of Loot:

Ok, 38 hours in, and I'm playing exactly the same way as in flatland. I'm pursuing the same build instinctively (Charisma for communities, Gun Mods for satisfying survival, Picking/Hacking etc for loot). I'm still luring Mirelurks onto mines, still giggling at Codsworth as he sallies forth, still jumbling junk into defensive walls...

What Fresh Apocalypse Is This?:

So why is it different? Because I can blindfire around a doorframe and take out a pesky turret trap? Because Mirelurks are actually 6ft-tall shelled bastards who scare the bejesus out of me, despite my well laid plans? Because the infrastructure and communities I'm creating slowly build and exist around me in a far more 'physical' way? Hell yes, because of things like that

Here are some 2D pix of my left eye's view which entirely fail to get any of this across

Janking and Tanking:

Is this my review? Nah. I'm still too petrified to head to Diamond City purely on performance grounds, and until I do that I can't sign off on it at all. And when I do it'll be with a thousand Bethesda-style caveats...

But despite the near constant 'reprojection' stutter, the unique bugs they've introduced to VR, the periodic crashes, the fact that I had to fix the sky in the ini files (THE SKY BETHESDA ), and the rustic 'lets just plonk VR into this world' approach they've taken... I am having an absolute blast

^^^All perk magazines are displayed like this :/^^^

Ok in fairness to Star Citizen, this actually turned out pretty well

Part III (in a series I now internally subtitle: 'Why Yoda will inevitably buy VR one day...' )
Yeah, probably. I feel like if a pretty good one gets below $200 or something I'll kinda have to, if only to wring another 50 hours out of Fallout.

Yeah, probably. I feel like if a pretty good one gets below $200 or something I'll kinda have to, if only to wring another 50 hours out of Fallout.
Given you'd also need a 1070/i7 to meet the current FO4 min spec, might take longer too . (Although even low grade tinkerers like myself can force it to just about run on a 970/i5 )

I've never completely got to the bottom of your exact reasons for digging Fallouts, but my suspicion is you could get pretty lost in this, if suitably rendered. Much immersion

Def no rush, Rifts are already dipping down into the $350 range in sales, Beth are promising patches, modders are a whirl of activity

Part of me does now think that anyone with a decent PC who buys a console or other big periphery (uber screen etc) over a headset is making a daft call though. This stuff is legit. Go trial some kit y'all

I lied about having no desire to play my Genesis. During the year end clean-out, I found my copy of NBA Jam. I'm sure I would spend about an hour with it. 56 minutes getting everything set up and then 4 playing it.

I lied about having no desire to play my Genesis. During the year end clean-out, I found my copy of NBA Jam. I'm sure I would spend about an hour with it. 56 minutes getting everything set up and then 4 playing it.
NBA Jam is soooo good. It was one of the first games I loaded on to my hacked SNES, but I've always thought that the SEGA versions had the edge, and that's down to the Mega Drive's wonderfully dirty sounding sound chip.

Mega Drive music was a thing to behold.

Me? I've gone down a rabbit hole and I think I'm now too deep.

I'm reading this tutorial, and am actually understanding it.

The result? Hopefully playing PS1 games from a hard drive on a PS2.

I have a Raspberry Pi that can play PS1 games perfectly.
I have ePSXe installed on my TV which can play PS1 games perfectly.
I have ePSXe on my PC which can play PS1 games perfectly and make them look better than on original hardware.
I have 3 PS1s, 3 PS2s and a PS3 which can play PS1 games perfectly.

....But I couldn't play PS1 games on a PS2's hard drive before.

Sheesh, what am I even doing?

As has become tradition at this time of year, Giant Bomb is featuring a swathe of GOTY lists sent in by the great and the good of the games industry and beyond. You can find them here.

Notable mentions - Greg Kasavin (ex Gamespot and now the main writer at Supergiant), Phil Fish (of Phil Fish fame), Janina Gavankar (True Blood and the lead in Battlefront II), Yoko Taro (Mr NieR), Ed Boon (Mr Mortal Kombat), Mike Bitlhell ... argh, read them all! I've wishlisted quite a few games on the back of reading these.

Phil Fish's summary of Yakuza 0 is so spot-on that I'm preparing myself to like him. Preparing myself.

It’s a game! It’s a movie! It’s a real estate management sim! It’s a dancing game! It’s got classic Sega arcade games, phone sex, sexy wrestling, slot car racing, karaoke, fishing, baseball, fighting, drinking, like 4 different types of cutscenes and WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE, it’s 200 hours long and I'm nowhere near finishing it.

Goro Majima’s introduction is probably the greatest introduction to a character anywhere, ever.

When you punch people, money flies out of them. 10/10.

That elicits a chuckle eurytime.