Quest for a Favorite Horror

Tools    

I know what you did last summer is my favourite horror/slasher..mostly out of nostalgia,but i still find it really entertaining. also think it has a great cast.

Now for horrors i actually think are good...hmm..

The most recent one is probably sinister which i see you`ve already seen.I didnt like the ending of it though.
Another one i would recommend is The Canal though it isnt a slasher,more psycological thriller/horror-ish,i love the others-but i wouldnt really put it as a horror.I like Eden Lake for not chickening out!

im also on alookout -so will be going through this thread-ive watched through so many garbage horrors recently.

Thought this short was rather funny though!

I see ive already responded to this thread actually lol....I used to be obsessed with asian horrors though..i`ll see if i can put together a list aswell

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I know what you did last summer is my favourite horror/slasher..mostly out of nostalgia,but i still find it really entertaining. also think it has a great cast.

Now for horrors i actually think are good...hmm..

The most recent one is probably sinister which i see you`ve already seen.I didnt like the ending of it though.
Another one i would recommend is The Canal though it isnt a slasher,more psycological thriller/horror-ish,i love the others-but i wouldnt really put it as a horror.I like Eden Lake for not chickening out!
Sinister's ending leaves a lot to be desired. Blumhouse has a nasty habit when it comes to "jump-scare" finales. Still love the film though. I'd definitely consider The Others as a horror film. Some don't like to consider films like Silence of the Lambs or Seven as horror films either, and I have no idea why. They may not be scary, but they have very deep-rooted horror elements in them. Same way in my opinion.

The Canal and Eden Lake both look intriguing, if nothing else, I'll definitely check out Eden Lake.

In the subject of I Know What You Did Last Summer, ... I actually watched that last week. I really don't like that film, on any level. Haha. I do like some of the cast though, but in other films. The "What Are You Waiting For?" scene still holds as one of the most ridiculously unintentionally cheesy and over-the-top scenes I've seen in a mainstream horror.

hah,well i think its difficult to diffirenciate thrillers from horrors. I tend to call slasher or gore movies horrors and the slowerpaced,or the ones with..well not as much horror,thrillers.Eden Lake was really good so you should check it out,also it has michael fassbender so thats a plus
The canal is the biggest surprise for me this year though (wasnt released this year,but i havent seen it before) it really surprised me as i havent heard of it before.

lol yeah...Had i seen it for the first time now i probably wouldnt have liked it at all,but i was a tween when it was released and in the middle of my buffy fandom so it was a perfect match for me. well by great cast i mean ryan and sarah,freddie and jennifer are meh I watch it everytime im hangover or have the-morning-after anxiety..and i just think to myself,as bad as things are atleast im not being chased by a crazy guy with a killer hook!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
hah,well i think its difficult to diffirenciate thrillers from horrors. I tend to call slasher or gore movies horrors and the slowerpaced,or the ones with..well not as much horror,thrillers.Eden Lake was really good so you should check it out,also it has michael fassbender so thats a plus
The canal is the biggest surprise for me this year though (wasnt released this year,but i havent seen it before) it really surprised me as i havent heard of it before.
Silence of the Lambs is a crime-thriller, but Hannibal Lecter is the stuff of nightmares, he himself is a horror element. The subject-matter at work is "horrific" and thereby, that's why I believe it falls into the same section. Nothing says horror films have to even be scary, after all. In the purest form, perhaps, but a lot of films have sprinklings of the stuff, and thereby, I group them together. If there's horrifying stuff, it makes it into my consideration. I only bring it up because a lot like to treat certain films as too "high brow" to be considered of the genre, which I find a nuisance.

"The hill have eyes" and "wrong turn" is most horrible movies .... No?

my favorite is the Collector series. It's about a thief trying to get in a house, and there are traps everywhere. There is a sequel which is even more bad ass.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
my favorite is the Collector series. It's about a thief trying to get in a house, and there are traps everywhere. There is a sequel which is even more bad ass.
The Collector is a fun film. I think The Collection's a step down, but it's fun as well. Interesting tidbit is that it was originally intended as an installment in the Saw series, which I would've preferred, because it'd have given that franchise new life and more would have seen it.

I've started watching the Universal Monster films, though, it doesn't appear as though any of them will be contenders. I haven't lost all hope yet though. Dracula, The Invisible Man, The Invisible Man Returns, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man are what I've watched thus far. I intend to watch the Hammer Horror films afterward.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I re-watched It Follows. I still like it. As of right now, it's in my Top Ten, though, there is still a lot of films I need to revisit. I re-watched The Conjuring, didn't like it much, still really enjoy The Conjuring 2 though.

The Monster, Under the Shadow, and The Wailing were decent films. They were all released in 2016 and received a positive reception. I didn't love them or anything, but I didn't flat-out hate them either. I still have a few films from 2016 to check out.

I re-watched Dead Silence. Dead Silence still sucks.

I also re-watched Sinister for some reason. I still love Sinister.

I watched Split, which was a solid film too.

I'll try to commit more time to improving this list.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I really liked those two movies. Quite disturbing.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I re-watched Trick R Treat. I liked the film a lot more the second-time than the first.

Edit: - 3/24/17
I re-watched Scream 2. I still enjoyed it, but, after watching it, I can say it isn't a very big contender like I hoped. On one-hand, the film had better scenes and more creative use of scenery than the first film, on the other-hand, the "twist" of this film, I don't enjoy, whereas it was my favorite part of the first film.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I re-watched Splice, I never considered it as much of a contender in my Quest for a Favorite Horror, but, after watching it again, I think the film is creative and well-made.

I also re-watched Saw, which, while I still enjoy, I've gotten continuously more annoyed with the editing work that was done in the film, like flashback segments reminding viewers what happened only ten minute prior and things like that.

I re-watched Let the Right One In, and I think it's experienced the biggest detriment. The film lulls a lot, with a lot of segments dragging in a way that pads the run-time considerably, I love the general idea of it, but I never really felt any legitimate chemistry between Oskar and Eli. I always justified this, in my head, as being because Eli looked to him as a means to an end, not really loving him, but needing him because she needs someone to procure blood for herself. This isn't what they're exactly going for, but this is what I always thought made for a better story.

movies can be okay...
You should check out Noroi: The Curse it's easily my favourite horror film, and it's sad how little recognition it gets.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You should check out Noroi: The Curse it's easily my favourite horror film, and it's sad how little recognition it gets.
I read a bit about it. Looks weird, potentially in a good way. I'll check it out!

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Instead of telling you which movies you should watch, I'll propose to assist you in another fashion.

Ask yourself: "what is it in movies [in general or in horror in particular] that satisfies me"

Make a list in your mind of the things that you reckon to be valid in your observation [and the ones you dislike as further help]. Once you have done that, ask: "do others perceive these things as existing in their possible recommendations" and further inquisitive them in order to reach a general conclusion.

A personal example:

After some time of recognizing that I enjoy both Horror and Sci-Fi [and the occasional mix of both] I realized that not all of them seem to suit my personal tastes. In fact, there are several instances that I can't seem to enjoy though I do watch them out of curiosity [ex: Star Wars].

I came to the conclusion that I don't care for jump scares and much prefer ambience and suggestive imagery/sounds/dialogues to full blown visual gore. And, as a rule of thumb I don't bother much with slashers, gore fests, or the typical exorcism movies [although the Exorcist I and III are my favorite ones in the horror genre].

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I don't watch many, but, I enjoyed Jeepers Creepers (2001) and Joy Ride (2001)

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I haven't seen any other film from Cronenberg other than The Fly, and the reason why is mostly because I didn't think they'd hold up on an emotional level. Body films are fun, and I'll definitely watch them eventually though. What I loved about The Fly was the emotional torment of the character, that speech about "insect politics" gave me goosebumps, it was so well executed and written. For some reason, instead of making his movies a priority, it actually made me leery to watch more.
Check his "The Brood". Its all about emotions and how they change the body [take notice of the 3rd act]

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
However, when I watched it, I was very disappointed. From a technical standpoint, I appreciate the film's authenticity, but I found the acting itself to be limited, and I found the film very ho-hum and lacking. I understand what the film wanted to convey, but I wasn't entertained by it, thereby, I wasn't effected by it. The story-line is nothing we haven't seen before, and while it was aesthetically well-made, it didn't incorporate enough new elements to be truly noteworthy.
Yup, still not sure why they called it a horror.

As you like The Conjuring 2 so much I would recommend The Enfield Haunting, a 3 part series based on the same events but more true to what happened