Song Tournament #18

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
7-Enrique Iglesias - Bailamos
Eh. I really don't care for either. Fine. Enrique Iglesias - By the Balls. I hate this song, but good, bad, or indifferent, it is a more complicated, textured, and better produced song.

4-Georges Moustaki - Le Métèque
I think I need to give this to Moustaki. Props for being a solo artist with a guitar. Simple, good and somewhat catchy melody. It is what it is.

9-Steve Jones - Fire and Gasoline
I can't really comment on Je t'aime moi non plus, except that it was too much for me.

9-Austra - Shoot the Water
Hey this one is actually tricky. Shoot the Water is fun. A bit too bouncy for my tastes (musically speaking), but as it progresses, the layers really compound and all the darkness of the lyrics starts to clash with the pop of the music. That's interesting. On the other hand, I've always been on Team Crew Jones. OMG don't make me do this?! Hell Track wasn't enough!? ooooh. Shoot the Water just ended as I was typing this and that was unexpected. OK fine. I'll probably be listening to this tomorrow, now. UGH. Wait. Anyone else notice that Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know sort of sounds like a slower version of this song? Odd.

6-Ronnie Davis - I Won't Cry
I know this is sacrilege to many, but I've always hated reggae. I'm sorry. I admit it and accept full responsibility of my admissions, but seriously. Reggae? This song isn't bad though. I honestly thought it was very nice. Wasn't this in the Ghost soundtrack? It sounds like it should have been. It probably wasn't, but should have been. I think this would have really made the pottery scene a bit more approachable. Or maybe just a closing credit track?

14-Queen - Don't stop me now
SoaD is a band that I've never personally liked, but I get why people do and I can appreciate the complexity of their rhythms. With that said, I think there are better samples from them. Still though, you can't really touch Queen.

5-The Smiths - How Soon is Now
There is something very strange with the list of songs in this round for me! Some of the bands listed are in my top 20 least favorite bands, and I just don't know want to do with that. That awareness is creating some anxiety here, and the pressure to swallow my personal feelings is getting to I HATE MORRISSEY!!! OK. Sorry. That had to come out. You can't repress such things else you end up climbing clock towers. I don't want that. Now. Morrissey makes me shiver, and not in the way of most of his fans. His voice irritates me to no end. In spite of that, I really kind of like this song. I always have, even though it's "him." So, reluctantly, my vote goes to he who must not be named.

3-Amorphis - The Cast Away
Alright. I'll go with Amorphis as it totally reminds me of some of the music I used to listen to in high school. I think because of that, by the time Rob Zombie came around I always looked at him as a gimmick; though I do like some of this songs. I just think Dragula may be one of his weaker samples. IMO, of course!

4-Ennio Morricone - Abolisson
While I can dig the Cats, this is really not an even match up. Sorry, whoever posted Stray Cats. I do enjoy them.

7-Kim Wilde- Turn It On
Wow. I haven't heard Kim Wilde in like forever. Great song! I'm leaning towards Wilde as James is not really my style. It's not a bad song though, by any means.

15-Good Morning Starshine - Oliver
Both are ...trippy.

4-Aretha Franklin - Respect
Aretha Franklin. Enough said.

8-Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
A personal favorite of mine.

4-Shearwater - My Good Deed
I really enjoyed listening to Shearwater. Nice song, really.

4-Gianna Nannini - Grazie
While Grazie doesn't really fit in my tastes of music, that voice is very powerful. That
rough and smokey female vocal is totally sexy. I enjoyed her voice less in the middle when she's belting it out as it seems to break apart too much, but the start and ending are right there.

1-New Order - True Faith
Ha! The intro to that video. The moment I saw the two characters staring at each other, the entire video came rushing back. I can't believe I had forgotten this!

Too. Many. Songs! OK. I'm done. I've not proofed anything so sorry for the typos. Yikes, it's midnight. Gnite!

7-Enrique Iglesias - Bailamos VS. 10-Taddy Porter - Shake Me (Enrique.... enough said)

4-Georges Moustaki - Le Métèque VS. 15-Do You Believe in Magic - The Lovin' Spoonful

9-Steve Jones - Fire and Gasoline VS. 4-Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin - Je t'aime... moi non plus

2-Real Life-Send Me an Angel VS. 9-Austra - Shoot the Water (One is very good and the other meh)

9-The Briefs - Poor and Weird VS. 6-Ronnie Davis - I Won't Cry

11-System Of A Down - Sugar VS. 14-Queen - Don't stop me now (SSSSUUUGARRR. SOAD )

14-The Jam - A town called Malice
VS. 5-The Smiths - How Soon is Now

3-Amorphis - The Cast Away VS. 1-Rob Zombie - Dragula

2-Stray Cats-Stray Cat Strut VS. 4-Ennio Morricone - Abolisson

7-Kim Wilde- Turn It On VS. 14-James - Sit down

15-Good Morning Starshine - Oliver VS. 2-The Cowsills-Hair

4-Aretha Franklin - Respect VS. 16-Damn Yankees ~ High Enough

8-Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side VS. 3-Slayer - Repentless (damn I love this song)

4-Shearwater - My Good Deed VS. 16-Al Jarreau ~ After All

3-Dimmu Borgir - progenies of the great apocalypse VS. 4-Gianna Nannini - Grazie

1-New Order - True Faith VS. 11-Bullet For My Valentine - Hearts Burst Into Fire

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
hellloooooo. . . .

destiny, per this tourney's rules, no skipping allowed. Everyone must pick a song for each round.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

1-Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty VS. 11-Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal

11-System Of A Down - Lost In Hollywood VS. 8-Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K.

13-Imagine Dragons - Radioactive VS. 15-Sweet Young Thing - The Monkees

16-Powerman 5000 ~ Show Me What You Got VS. 13-Passenger - Let Her Go

9-Burning Brides - Fire Escape VS. 3-Dimmu Borgir - Puritania

5-The B-52s - Rock Lobster VS. 8-The Undertones - Teenage Kicks

12-David Bowie - Something in the Air VS. 2-Snap-I've Got the Power

8-Blondie - Atomic VS. 12-Nick Drake - Pink Moon

15-The Girl I Knew Somewhere - The Monkees VS. 5-Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka

7-Technotronic- Pump Up The Jam VS. 8-Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

11-Foo Fighters - Times Like These VS. 16-Night Ranger ~ The Secret of My Success

15-You Baby - The Turtles VS. 6-Soft Machine - Why are we Sleeping

15-I'd Wait a Million Years - The Grass Roots VS. 1-Sting - I Can't Stop Thinking About You

1-Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Dying of the Light (acoustic) VS. 13-Lukas Graham - 7 Years

12-PJ Harvey - Rub Till it Bleeds VS. 4-Nina Simone- Children Go Where I Send You

5-Buzzcocks - Why Can't I touch it? VS. 11-Rage Against The Machine - Im Housin'

MC for the Great Underground Circus
ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

1-Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty VS. 11-Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal

11-Foo Fighters - Times Like These VS. 16-Night Ranger ~ The Secret of My Success

15-I'd Wait a Million Years - The Grass Roots VS. 1-Sting - I Can't Stop Thinking About You

1-Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Dying of the Light (acoustic) VS. 13-Lukas Graham - 7 Years

12-PJ Harvey - Rub Till it Bleeds VS. 4-Nina Simone- Children Go Where I Send You

5-Buzzcocks - Why Can't I touch it? VS. 11-Rage Against The Machine - Im Housin'

ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

13-
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive VS. 15-Sweet Young Thing - The Monkees

16-
Powerman 5000 ~ Show Me What You Got VS. 13-Passenger - Let Her Go

15-
The Girl I Knew Somewhere - The Monkees VS. 5-Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

R1D6-7

1-Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty VS. 11-Bullet
For My Valentine - Your Betrayal

11-System Of A Down - Lost In Hollywood VS. 8-
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K.

13-Imagine Dragons - Radioactive VS. 15-Sweet
Young Thing - The Monkees

16-Powerman 5000 ~ Show Me What You Got VS.
13- Passenger - Let Her Go

9-Burning Brides - Fire Escape VS. 3-Dimmu
Borgir - Puritania

5-The B-52s - Rock Lobster VS. 8-The Undertones
- Teenage Kicks

12-David Bowie - Something in the Air VS

15-The Girl I Knew Somewhere - The Monkees
VS. 5-Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka

7-Technotronic- Pump Up The Jam VS. 8-Talking
Heads - Psycho Killer

11-Foo Fighters - Times Like These VS. 16-Night
Ranger ~ The Secret of My Success

15-You Baby - The Turtles VS. 6-Soft Machine -
Why are we Sleeping
--- gureeato

15-I'd Wait a Million Years - The Grass Roots VS.
1-Sting - I Can't Stop Thinking About You

1-Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Dying of
the Light (acoustic)
VS. 13- Lukas Graham - 7
Years

12-PJ Harvey - Rub Till it Bleeds VS. 4-Nina
Simone- Children Go Where I Send You -- wow

5-Buzzcocks - Why Can't I touch it? VS. 11-Rage
Against The Machine - Im Housin'

ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

1-Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty VS. 11-Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal-I've always liked the first and it comes with some memories.

11-System Of A Down - Lost In Hollywood VS. 8-Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K.-I liked the first but the other is just too awesome.

13-Imagine Dragons - Radioactive VS. 15-Sweet Young Thing - The Monkees-Both pretty decent.

16-Powerman 5000 ~ Show Me What You Got VS. 13-Passenger - Let Her Go-I like how the video for the second song uses special effects to make it seem like the dork has fans.

9-Burning Brides - Fire Escape VS. 3-Dimmu Borgir - Puritania-Not crazy about either so I went with the more lively tune.

5-The B-52s - Rock Lobster VS. 8-The Undertones - Teenage Kicks-Both pretty average for me. I get a kick out of the B-52s but I thought the other song was a little better.

12-David Bowie - Something in the Air VS. 2-Snap-I've Got the Power-I'm not a huge fan of the second but there is nostalgia. I only nominated it because I've never seen it nominated before. I just didn't care enough for the Bowie song.

8-Blondie - Atomic VS. 12-Nick Drake - Pink Moon-I've always loved Blondie, even if that's not one of my favorites from her.

15-The Girl I Knew Somewhere - The Monkees VS. 5-Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka-Like most Monkees songs I thought that was pretty average. The other went on for a while but was pretty good.

7-Technotronic- Pump Up The Jam VS. 8-Talking Heads - Psycho Killer-A great match here. I probably do favor the second but it was cool to hear the other after many years.

11-Foo Fighters - Times Like These VS. 16-Night Ranger ~ The Secret of My Success-Can't believe I'm voting for the Foo Foo Foo Fighters.

15-You Baby - The Turtles VS. 6-Soft Machine - Why are we Sleeping-The second was different and I liked it enough.

15-I'd Wait a Million Years - The Grass Roots VS. 1-Sting - I Can't Stop Thinking About You-The Roots always sound good and I'm not a big Sting fan.

1-Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Dying of the Light (acoustic) VS. 13-Lukas Graham - 7 Years-I voted for the guy whose voice made me want to punch him in the face less.

12-PJ Harvey - Rub Till it Bleeds VS. 4-Nina Simone- Children Go Where I Send You-I thought these were both pretty decent. I've heard of Nina Simone before and I always figured it was a chick.

5-Buzzcocks - Why Can't I touch it? VS. 11-Rage Against The Machine - Im Housin'-I liked Rage back in the day.

The link for Burning Bridges - Fire Escape doesn't work for me. I can't find another link to listen to it. Tried Spotify too but no luck. Can anyone find me a link that'll play in the UK?

Legend in my own mind
ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

ROUND 1 DAY 6 & 7

9-Burning Brides - Fire Escape VS. 3-Dimmu Borgir - Puritania - I can't find a link for the first so can't vote yet

5-The B-52s - Rock Lobster VS. 8-The Undertones - Teenage Kicks - truly great song!

12-David Bowie - Something in the Air VS. 2-Snap-I've Got the Power love this version

8-Blondie - Atomic VS. 12-Nick Drake - Pink Moon Nick Drake was an incredible talent

5-Buzzcocks - Why Can't I touch it? V
S. 11-Rage Against The Machine - Im Housin'