Classic Comedy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
maybe @gbgoodies might be interested in this hof?
DEFINITELY!
That would be wonderful!

C'MONNN DOWNNN!!

Hi Alex!
And WELCOME!

If you like, nominate 2 and number them, #1 and #2. That way, if we end up having enough folks and go back to one nomination each, @Siddon will use #1. Otherwise, you'll be covered should we stay with the two nominations each.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
maybe @gbgoodies might be interested in this hof?
DEFINITELY!
That would be wonderful!

C'MONNN DOWNNN!!

I appreciate the invite, and I thought about joining this HoF, (even though I have a bad history with the previous Comedy HoF ), but I decided against it because of the eligible years being 1914-1951. I'm just not up to watching a bunch of silent movies. (My eyes just aren't as good as they used to be, and movies with subtitles have become like a chore for me. )

If the eligible years had been from around 1930-1950, I probably would have joined.

I appreciate the invite, and I thought about joining this HoF, (even though I have a bad history with the previous Comedy HoF ), but I decided against it because of the eligible years being 1914-1951. I'm just not up to watching a bunch of silent movies. (My eyes just aren't as good as they used to be, and movies with subtitles have become like a chore for me. )

If the eligible years had been from around 1930-1950, I probably would have joined.

Well then I got great news for you because the nominated films come from the years 1930-1950

(1931)
(1933)
(1934)
(1935)
(1936)
(1937)
(1937)
(1950)

1930s Hall of Fame Part 3 from the looks of it.

And we've got our Reveal!

Sherlock Jr. - our earliest film, Sherlock Jr ranks int he IMDB top 250, this is the only Buster Keaton film to receive a nomination and the second silent film. It's also the shortest film of the group clocking in under an hour.

Monkey Business - Is the first of the Marx brothers nominations a film that registered on the AFI top 100 for comedy. It was one of the more successful film from the brothers.

Trouble in Paradise - is our only Ernest Lubitsch film the film was selected to be perserved by the Library of Congress in 1991. The film also has a Criterion release.

Duck Soup - We got ourselves a film in the proper AFI top 100 as Duck Soup finished at #85. Our second Marx Brothers film it is the second shortest film of the pool running in over just 1 hour.

It's a Gift - WC Fields makes his only entry in this AFI Comedy ranked film from 1934, this ties with Duck Soup as one of the shorter entries but for those that haven't experienced Fields this is a great indroduction to his work.

Top Hat- And here we get a film that is considered the best of Astaire and Rodgers oeuvre. Top Hat received a best picture nomination in 1935 and was the second highest grossing film from that year.

Modern Times - From 1936 one of the last truly great Silent films from Charlie Chaplin. This film ranks in the IMDB top 250, on the AFI top 100 proper list and received a Criterion Collection release. For the only Chaplin nomination this is a great one.

Nothing Sacred and True Confession- Citizen Rules decided to buck the trend by nominating a pair of Carole Lombard films. Ironically enough. David O. Selznick, producer of "Nothing Sacred," was concerned that the release of "True Confession" would harm his film at the box office because both star Carole Lombard as a woman involved in a well-publicized hoax. Nothing Sacred is our only color film and while I haven't seen either one of them they both have strong reviews on IMDB.

Kind Hearts and Coronets did not rank on the AFI list...it ranked on the BFI list and in the top ten. This is a film well known for a tour-de-force performance by Alec Guinness. This film also received a Criterion release.

Harvey is yet another film that registered on the 100 years 100 laughs list (and on the fantasy list). James Stewart received an Oscar nomination for his performance in this film.

The Lavender Hill Mob is our last and latest entry an Oscar winner and film that rank's highly on the BFI list. Guinness who some might not have considered a comic actor managing two noms is going to be very interesting to see how they rank amongst the goliaths that have been nominated today.

Moderator's note -

This looks like a great Hall of Fame while I was a little iffy of going forward with this with such low turnout the actual group looks incredibly solid. My only regret is that we didn't get a Hepburn, Tracy or Grant film in the pool and I almost nominated a Preston Sturges film but after seeing Lubitsch nom I decided to go in a different direction.

That's a really great lineup. The only ones I haven't seen are Nothing Sacred and True Confession. My favorites are It's a Gift, Modern Times, and Kind Hearts and Coronets. Have fun guys

I'm impressed! What a great group of noms, good choices everyone! I wasn't sure what the movie noms would end up being like, but now that I see them, I'm a happy camper

Sherlock Jr. - Buster Keaton rules! I've seen this and really enjoyed it's creativity. I'll be happy for a chance to rewatch.

Modern Times I've been wanting to see this forever. I've seen other Chaplin films and really liked them.

Monkey Business & Duck Soup The Marx Brothers are always a fun watch...much better than those pesky Ritz Brothers...I've seen both of these films but so long ago I don't remember them.

Trouble in Paradise I considered nominating this one. I'm glad to see someone chose it...and I'm glad to see Miriam Hopkins make her third appearance in an HoF

It's a Gift I don't think I seen this one, but I have seen at least one W.C. Fields. movie and liked it too.

Top Hat I considered this one as well. I'm a BIG fan of Rogers and Astaire. Glad to rewatch it

Nothing Sacred and True Confession I must have spent a couple hours researching movies for this HoF and looked at all kinds of comedies, so I decided to go for my favorite comedian and that's how I choose these two Carole Lombard films. Hope you guys like them.

Kind Hearts and Coronets I've not seen this ever but have wanted to, so glad to see it was chosen.

Harvey Great film and James Stewart is a fav of mine. Looking forward to revisiting this gem.

The Lavender Hill Mob Not sure if I've seen this or not. I guess I'll find out when I watch it. I'm guessing this and Kind Hearts and Coronets are Ed's?

This is looking to be a fun HoF! Maybe someone will still join and nominate a pair of Katherine Hepburn or Cary Grant films.

The Lavender Hill Mob Not sure if I've seen this or not. I guess I'll find out when I watch it. I'm guessing this and Kind Hearts and Coronets are Ed's?

The noms are under the pictures and those were Nat's picks.

D@mmit d@mmit D@MMIT!!!
I just spent the last half hour trying to write out my initial thoughts only to lose it with two films left to comment on!!!

ARGGGG!!! I say with a SLEW of swearing to coincide with it!

So I'll wait till this evening when I can get on my computer and, in the meantime, simply say that this an excellent list of films and I'm VERY excited to watch them all. A large portion I've seen and hyped to see the few I haven't.
SOOO glad this happened!! YAY

I’m excited to watch all the noms as well. Watched Sherlock Jr today as it was a short watch. Write up soon.

I thought about joining this but passed since I'm not particularly familiar with this era. The only one of these I've seen is Sherlock Jr and I like that quite a lot.

I'm a little confused re the rules. Are we to consider only the films that were listed at the top of the thread? Or are we to submit a film comedy from each era? I've seen all the ones listed, but to my taste there are a few that I'd substitute.

Thanks,
~Doc

I'm a little confused re the rules. Are we to consider only the films that were listed at the top of the thread? Or are we to submit a film comedy from each era? I've seen all the ones listed, but to my taste there are a few that I'd substitute.

Thanks,
~Doc
If you joined you would choose two comedies of any year as long as they were made between 1914-1951. But you couldn't choose the movies that the other members of this HoF have already chosen.

In a nutshell if you joined, you'd watch all the movies and write your thoughts on each film. Then you send a ranked voting list to Siddon who is the host.

The full rules are on the 1st post in this thread, click rules Show
to see them. We've already started so it's up to Siddon if any more can join...but it's OK with me.

Sorry for my bad English :p
it looks like a solid line-up i love it ! and i love the fact that i haven't seen much from the bunch

so from the ones ive seen there is my two nominations sherlock jr. and trouble in paradise i really love those two and i can easily see myself putting them into my top 100 movies of all time (even though i can't possibly make a list of my favorite movies, i tried it so many times but its really hard )

i've also seen Modern Times and Kind Hearts and Coronets and i'm excited to revisit them..

i didn't see any of the other movies even though most of them has been in my watchlist for a while now so this is a great opportunity to watch them

I thought about joining this but passed since I'm not particularly familiar with this era. The only one of these I've seen is Sherlock Jr and I like that quite a lot.
well, this is a pretty group of films from that era so, if ya feel like it, check out ones that may interest you.

Thanks,
~Doc

If you wish to join up you can either PM one or two noms(it's up to you) or if you just want to watch the 12 films and vote at the end that's fine with me as well. As long as you post a review after watching each film I'll count it.

This is about as good an introduction to the sub genre(s) that you are going to get.

This goes for
@Yam12 @cricket @gbgoodies @MijaFrost @CosmicRunaway