New Rep System

Tools    

Yeh, that or even just a user title. Gave me at least more incentive to do try and contribute more post wise and give more rep.

Randomly visiting for now
Yeh, that or even just a user title. Gave me at least more incentive to do try and contribute more post wise and give more rep.
I'm up for that as well. It did tend to give you more incentive to put more effort into your posts.

In terms of the anonymous poster debate, i'm in agreement with what OG's posted in Sammy's Phlem thread.

People pay attention to rep? I didn't even know there was a Highest Rated Users list until this thread.

It doesn't matter to me if there is a plus or a minus sign if there is no name to go along with it. Tie the two back together. If people actually care about the nominal value of a virtual point - negative or positive - make it so that a comment of a minimum character length must be left, otherwise it is only worth a tiny fraction of the 'value'.

With comment, a full +/- 1. Without comment, +/- 1/5th. Whatever the values, leave words. Numbers without contextual representation are ultimately valueless.

A system of cells interlinked
So, I was on another site recently that uses the same V-Bulletin set-up. They are still using the dots for rep. So, I mentioned that we had the same system etc., but that we had changed the rep to a point system. Since I have MoFo linked in my sig over there, the dude stopped over and had the following to say...

"You mentioned you use a point system for rep, but, I don;t see anything having to do with rep for each user. Like, how do you know what each person's rep is?"

To which I responded.

"Oh, it's annonymous and invisible."

"Um, why bother? It seems to serve no purpose to the community, it doesn't help people know if someone is a valued member or not..."

"Um, hmmm, wait a minute... you have a point there..."

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but, the dude seems to have a point...

Fair question. But I think whatever point he has is largely lost because of the existence of the Post Ratings page, which tracks the rep in a more public way. He probably got the wrong idea when he was told it was "completely anonymous and invisible."

That said, the old dots didn't always tell us who was a valued member of the community, either. All it meant was that the person had been around awhile and hadn't made anyone mad, but posters who were simply polite were just as likely to have lots of dots as people who were very insightful; moreso, actually, because they never rocked the boat.

Anyway, I don't want to defend the current system too much, because I still want to change its fundamental logic in the coming weeks, but I don't think either -- new or old -- is particularly adept at highlighting valued members. The old one was a mechanism for happy birthdays and pleasantries, and the new one has, for some, become a way to vent disagreement without expressing it.

Hopefully we'll find a third way soon.

A system of cells interlinked
Sure. I understand the rating page is there, but, most people don;t know it exists, and I guess he was just saying that it wasn't easy to determine who was a valued member and who wasn't for a new person just exploring the site. I see your point about not rocking the boat, and how the old system was flawed in the ways you mention.

Thanks for explaining!

For God sake please when rep someone why don't you leave a comment why you did it,if it's a positive rep it's ok if you don't leave a comment but when you neg rep me please tell me why.Some of you do it which I appreciate it and God what is wrong with that I like True Romance it's a hell of a good movie and because of that i get -1 why?!?!?Plus it's freakin' stupid to neg rep someone in the Movie tab Thread

For God sake please when rep someone why don't you leave a comment why you did it,if it's a positive rep it's ok if you don't leave a comment but when you neg rep me please tell me why.Some of you do it which I appreciate it and God what is wrong with that I like True Romance it's a hell of a good movie and because of that i get -1 why?!?!?Plus it's freakin' stupid to neg rep someone in the Movie tab Thread
Join the club

and because I said that^^ I get another -1 again without explanation

Why not make the comment a necessity when you rep someone?
We've discussed that as one of many possible options for reforming the system. One of the major reasons not to, however, is that it would obviously result in a lot less rep going around, and the less rep is given/taken, the less useful the system really is for ranking posts.

Anyway, as Sam says, changes are coming.

We've discussed that as one of many possible options for reforming the system. One of the major reasons not to, however, is that it would obviously result in a lot less rep going around, and the less rep is given/taken, the less useful the system really is for ranking posts.
I am not worried about who gives it to me, but why! so maybe they could still be anon, but they have to leave a comment which would be a help

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I am not worried about who gives it to me, but why! so maybe they could still be anon, but they have to leave a comment which would be a help
I think this is a good idea, nebb. I think people are afraid of leaving comments even when they rep for legit reasons because some people get really mad when they are given neg rep and start an argument or give loads of undeserved retaliatory neg rep.

One other thing to consider is that we can't really force people to leave comments; the script can make sure that there's something in the comment box, and that it's something other than just whitespace, but it can't do anything about people posting gibberish, or some other filler text. So, if someone wants to leave rep without a reason, they'll always be able to, unless we screen and approve all rep.