Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games

Tools    

Originally Posted by OG-
Alright, who else had the Zork anthology? Return to Zork was the shizznizzle forizzle!
Zork was definitely great. I wish I still owned those games.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Zork was definitely great. I wish I still owned those games.
Just play them, for free. They are available for DOS window play.

Remember this?

West of House

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

> open mailbox Opening the mailbox reveals a leaflet.

> read leaflet (Taken) "WELCOME TO ZORK Zork is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

Go here to download all the Zorks.

A caveat. These games were made back in the day when things like "game balance" and even "gamers" didn't really exist yet. These games can be brutally harsh to the user, like say for instance Adventure!, where to get 100% complettion you needed a machine language decoder to compile some code for the last 1%. These games were little side projects, by programmers, for programmers, and Zork was the first of these to attempt slaes to the public. Some of the sulutions in the games are a bit...deep, for lack of a better term, and I would suggest a walkthrough before you get suck in one of the "Can't get out of here, ever" spots in these games.

Got to love those point and click games, Tentacle and Sam and Max, lol.
Anyone else feel that GTA: Vice City was better than San Andreas?
Ahh, and Final Fantasy VII, need to find me another copy of that. Best PS/PS2 incarnation?

Ultimate Tournament
Kingdom Under Fire
Metroid Prime
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soul Caliber II(GC & Xbox)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Dynasty Warriors
Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Halo 1 & 2

motivationally deficient
1.Dawn Of War
2.Age of mythology
3.baldurs gate 1 and 2
4.Dynasty warriors (all of them)
5.Enter the matrix
6.San Andreas
7.Unreal tournament
8.Stronghold
9.doom 3
10.Red Faction 2

Ok. So I got all nostalgic, talking about these games, and I fired up ZSNES (a SNES emulator for PC) and grabbed a few roms (yes, I do own the carts for these games, and can have a legal backup, so don't even start). First I popped in Donkey Kong Country and played for about 3 hours, which was an absolute blast. Then Zelda:A Link to the Past was next...Played till I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I am sure a lot of it was nostalgia but man did I have FUN playing these games. It's all free out there if one takes a few moments to track the stuff down...

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by OG-
Alright, who else had the Zork anthology? Return to Zork was the shizznizzle forizzle!
I have the Zork Anthology... let alone Return to Zork as well. ("Want some rye? 'Course ya do!")

Zork is an AWESOME game. Sure, it may not have graphics, but that was the fun part of it all- you made them in your mind. The first, I think, is ingenious, and the entire game storyline is incredible. There was, at one point, a Zork movie that was to be made, but it never came around. Awesome game. And funny, too. And, come to think of it, my old 7th grade art teacher's brother was one of the programmers for Return to Zork... groovy, huh?

Also, for those of you who are fans of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the same programmer of Zork teamed up with the man himself, Douglas Adams, to create a text-based game based on the book. (You couldn't, however, use your book to help you out. Remember, it was a text adventure... anything could happen)

If you want to play a modernized version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, complete with still graphics, then go here. There are two versions, although I really don't know why. But hey, if you're an older type of gamer, then a realisitic remake of the original game as it would appear in 1984 can be played here.

Remember, don't panic.

Since we started talking about this stuff, I have been addicted to old SNES games! Been playing Super Metroid and Zelda a bit each evening and these games are FUN! Graphics, shmaphics, these games rock. For the time, the design was top notch, the scores fantastic. All for free!

www.zsnes.com

A new addiction has surfaced on the video game front for ol' Sedai.

Jedi Academy (PC)

I played the single player for a couple of minutes, and it seemed decent, but then it was onto the game servers for some sabre dueling action. I had started to learn the diffeent sabre fighting styles in Jedi Knight II:Jedi Outcast, so I had an idea of how the different sabre fighting styles worked, and how most of the force powers worked, minus a few new ones. So I pop into a low-ping server and create a slick Jedi to begin battling with. I was immediately handed my ass. Big time. Sith would grip my throat and toss me into a chasm, sabre-staff (ala Darth Maul) wielding Bobs Fetts would hack me down, and jawas would bounce all over the place using force pwers while zaping me with lightning.

Much training, did I require. Ok, Ok, I'll read the manual. I decide to go for the most defensive fighting style and create a new Jedi who specialized in dual sabre fighting, and I tweaked the force powers to work better in the online environment (read: force absorb, like our little green friend used vs Dooku in Ep. II). This time around, I happened to drop into a server full of really nice folks, which is sort of a rarity in other games I have played online, and got a fair amount of help. After a couple of hours I started to rack up a few wins while dueling, and also started to notice that I was playing one of the funnest games I have ever played.

Light sabre battles with combo moves, counters, different stances and force powers, all vs live opponents. I can't describe how much fun this is, and how exciting. The online component is set up well, too. Six different modes for multiplayer, most with safeguards against those who wish to act up, and try to ruin the game for others. The mode I was playing the most (FFA), had 32 people in the area, which was a desert rebel base sort of place. In this place, there were a fair number of people just going all out attacking everything in sight in this main wide open area, while in the side rooms and areas, one could challenge another player to a formal duel. This would put shields around your character and the chosen opponent, making actions by others against you impossible. There were many, many cool people who were down with this method, and I had a blast battling against them. Once this mode is engaged, force powers are shut off and it's all sabre technique. Intense stuff. After the duel, the score is tallied, the winner goes back into FA mode and the loser respawned to come back for more if they wished.

I spent about 25% of the time in the FFA mode going nuts with force powers (mostly light side) and the other time chatting with people and dueling. What a blast.

Here is the kicker. The game came out in 2003, and is available for about 18 bucks. It uses a slightly older engine (Quake III), but still looks amazing, and the sabre effects are stellar. Because of th lower resurce draw and graphics engine that isn't bleeding edge, the game runs flawlessly online, with 32 Jedi battling, on my system, which is getting a bit long in the tooth these days (clocking in at a mere 1.5 Ghz). I believe it's also available for the X-box, but why play at that poor screen resolution? I am not sure if the two systems use the same servers either...

Highly recommended, and I would love to play with some MoFo jedis...

Some Screens:

1. The Sims Bustin Out
2. The Sims Urbz
3. GTA: San Andreas
4. GTA: Vice City
5: Tony Hawk Underground
6: Tony Hawk Underground 2
7: Midnight Club DUB Edition
8: NBA Street
9: NBA Ballas
10: Simpsons Road Rage

Randomly visiting for now
1. Counter-Strike (Halflife mod) (PC)
One of the greatest multiplayers ever created, spawning countless maps and mods to accomodate everyone. The ultimate FPS multi. Hours and hours and hours of fun. .

2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (64)

This game was very addictive and appealed to all ages with its complex puzzles, beautiful scenery and fun storyline. Just loved every minute of it.

3. Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (PC)
This game was fun not only single player wise but more importantly multiplayer. Set up a game with six friends, with changing teams and there's endless fun to be had.

4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo)
This was always a great game, you just can't beat the gameplay. I know some sony fans who reckon playstation has the best graphics of all the systems and is so much better. I just direct them to SMB.3 and they shut up after about an hour of playing, after using the flute to go straight to level 4 instead of 6.....fools......ok maybe I played this one a little too much when I was younger.

5. James Bond: Goldeneye (N64)
This game was the trigger for so many other First person shooter games, just loved it. It was "the" game for a good while and could not be matched on any level.

6. Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)

Got a love the turn based style of this game. I had never played a game like it in my life and after about an hour I was hooked real bad. Never met a person who didn't like it.

7. Halo 1 (XBOX)
This game, while new, smashed onto the market and destroyed everything in its path. Just last weekend I met some guys at uni who had set up a 16 player halo night the night before, joining up 4 Xbox's. "boy's with their toys" maybe but would have been a heck of a lot of fun.

8. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
The simple variations created through Vietnam and Desert Combat provide endless entertainment. The feeling of driving an air craft carrier into the side of an island then all your friends taking off and blowing everything on the island to bits is so satisfying. Or the times I've planted C4 all around a tank and just waited for a friend of mine to go for it.......hilarium to be sure.

9. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
This was such a great game, did take a while to finish but very fulfilling none the less. From the visuals to the story it was quite perfect.

10. Diablo II (PC)
This game stole what was left of my holidays in year 10 and turned me into a monster who's only desire was to play, eat and sleep. It was and still is one of the most addictive games I've ever played. It left me wanting more even after finishing it with all of the characters.

Perhaps I am a gamer after all, always thought I wasn't really. Perhaps it's the fact most of my friends are huge rock fans and we were known at school for our crazy experiences in mosh pits and around huge concerts, not for the games we played.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Great list, Spooky. I wasn't a fan of 1942, didn't have the patience, but I have been devouring Battlefield 2 like I need it to live.

Just won Final Fantasy 7 on eBay, so i can finish it again, but do all the extra stuff as well, i.e beat Ruby Weapon

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Just won Final Fantasy 7 on eBay, so i can finish it again, but do all the extra stuff as well, i.e beat Ruby Weapon
I hit him with like 10 Knights of the Round, plus about 600 other top attacks and summons, until I got to the point where I was about to toss the Playstation out the window, then gave up on this guy. I hate that guy.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by OG-
Great list, Spooky. I wasn't a fan of 1942, didn't have the patience, but I have been devouring Battlefield 2 like I need it to live.
Ahh I want that game so bad, does it need a good comp to play? Mine is getting a bit older now so I gotta ask these things, it wasn't like this in the good old days......Is there a decent single player mode or is it mostly multiplayer?

Neutral Milk Hotel
1l Donkey Kong 2 for Super Nintendo-This game just Kicked Ass!
2l Donkey Kong for Super Nintendo- This game also ruled
3l Halo 1- This was sweet to play with a bunch of people
4l Halo 2- This was alos sweet to play with a bunch of people
5l Jurassic Park for Super Nintendo- Now if anyone remembers this game it was
extremley hard. There is no way you could have
beaten this game without looking at a strategy
guide.

I know this is supposed to be top 10 but I dont play to many video games.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I don't play video games a lot but let me try to pull ten faves out of the old memory banks.

Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Metal Gear Solid
Tekken II
Crash Bandicoot Warped
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Final Fantasy VII
MTV Music Generator 2
Mystical Ninja ( does anyone else remember this game?)

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
5l Jurassic Park for Super Nintendo- Now if anyone remembers this game it was
extremley hard. There is no way you could have
beaten this game without looking at a strategy
guide.
I just want to say that, for the record, and Uncle Rico was there in person when this happend, that this game caused a fist fight between me and my brother.

Neutral Milk Hotel
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^One of the funniest sites ive ever seen in my life. Allow me to elaborate on the subject. Now im going to use our real names in this tale. James Tarkey=Uncle Rico. Seth Andrew Kopchu=Moviemaker5087. Now, we were at Seths house playing Jurassic Park for da super nintendo gaming system. For the record you cannot save on this game so if the red light goes off its OVER! Now, while playing this extremley long game Seths Brother Sean decides to pay us a visit. He comes into Seths basement where we are playing the game and tells us that he needs to use this t.v. that we are playing on, to play Scene It. So Seth says, very powerfully i might add "No way buddy". So I sit there while the argument commences and for the first time in my life i feel a feud at the Kopchu residence.
Now somehow the argument leads us outside into the drive way, and out of nowhere, Sean throws Scene it and his walet down on the ground, hundreds flying everywhere, and gets up in Seths face. ITS ON! They start hitting eachother and pushing and what not and before ya know it Big Guy (a.k.a. Seths father) comes running outside to break up the fight.
The night ended with Sean saying "Seth, those fun family times are over buddy" . But hey, we saved the game. The Next Morning Seth gives me a call and says "Jamie, The Red light is off". So there it is.

Correction: Shawn

I remember when I told you that the red light went off your face looked as if you just realized the president had been shot.

My God we are the epitome of losers.