Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hampstead (2017)

This is a comedy/romance aimed at mature audiences with a first rate cast including Diane Keaton, Brendan Gleeson, Lesley Manville, and James Norton.

It's based on a true story of a hermit who who has lived in a forest for 17 years near a pond in an upperclass neighborhood near London whose life is changed by a widow living nearby. There are some cute parts in a wholly predictable story. Unfortunately the heavyweight actors were unable to save a weak script that continually showed its seams, and more or less lurched from one scenario to another without good segues. The screenplay by Robert Festinger will not help his career.

It was a commendable effort, and fans who like this type of light but sincere comedy will enjoy watching. I think Sookie would like this one.

Doc's rating: 5/10

I'd give this a
or a
myself. The most glaring issue I have with it is that except
WARNING: spoilers below
for the gym teacher,
it's hard to feel sympathy for any of the friends. They have wives, children, good jobs, nice places to live, etc., so their little experiment came across as an exercise of privilege and something that would end with them realizing how good they have it rather than an attempt to make their lives better and more meaningful.

Who knows, with a pandemic still raging, maybe it's just bad timing. It would have sat well alongside movies like Office Space, Fight Club and American Beauty in the late '90s, for instance. I'm not saying you can't make movies about such people finding happiness and/or meaning in their lives, but since I don't need to mention the devastation COVID has caused, seeing such fulfilled people complain about not being slightly more fulfilled is not something I can imagine many people needing right now.

Is Denmark a country that consumes alcohol heavily? Maybe I'm just out of the loop culturally
WARNING: spoilers below
(the beer race in the opening scene seems to indicate that).
I liked it a lot because it is a refreshingly apolitical movie.

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52083795

Allied - (2016)

Good-looking, ultimately predictable and forgettable film has Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard star as love-bound secret agents infiltrating Nazi-occupied Casablanca. Great production values (there goes another 100 million dollars) but Brad and Marion can't steam up the screen the way they're supposed to. Film bombed at the box office but has it's adherents. Wastes it's chance to really pull the rug out from under us - and certainly won't be the film Robert Zemeckis is remembered for.

4/10

The King and I (1956) - 10/10

A widow accepts a job as a live-in governess to the King of Siam's children.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=52083795

Allied - (2016)

Good-looking, ultimately predictable and forgettable film has Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard star as love-bound secret agents infiltrating Nazi-occupied Casablanca. Great production values (there goes another 100 million dollars) but Brad and Marion can't steam up the screen the way they're supposed to. Film bombed at the box office but has it's adherents. Wastes it's chance to really pull the rug out from under us - and certainly won't be the film Robert Zemeckis is remembered for.

4/10
Marion Cotillard did good job on the dark night rises and inception

Córki dancingu (2015)
aka The Lure

A Polish musical about two mermaids singing in an adult entertainment nightclub. The film has its charms (and I'm not even talking about the pretty topless mermaids), but it feels like an elongated short film. I wonder why no other review mentions what seemed an obvious interpretation: you don't fix identity disorientation with surgery. Still kinda meh, but watchable.

Pretty good movie, but I was expecting something out of this world, given the hype. Still very much enjoyable

In the City of Sylvia (2007, José Luis Guerín)

Art, love, time, memory are woven together in this minimalistic, elliptical piece of cinematic poetry set in summery Strasbourg. Filled with long voyeuristic static shots and breezy contemplative silences, it is a window into a young artistic mind searching for love and a solution of life's mysteries, only to get lost in the stream of life indifferently washing all around him, but not really touching him. .. it's almost like Sylvia never even existed and is just a figment of his imagination - who knows?

Brilliant and mesmerizing.

In the City of Sylvia (2007, José Luis Guerín)

Art, love, time, memory are woven together in this minimalistic, elliptical piece of cinematic poetry set in summery Strasbourg. Filled with long voyeuristic static shots and breezy contemplative silences, it is a window into a young artistic mind searching for love and a solution of life's mysteries, only to get lost in the stream of life indifferently washing all around him, but not really touching him. .. it's almost like Sylvia never even existed and is just a figment of his imagination - who knows?

Brilliant and mesmerizing.
I have been looking for this film for about 6 or 7 years. Glad you enjoyed it. Do you know where I can watch it?

I have been looking for this film for about 6 or 7 years. Glad you enjoyed it. Do you know where I can watch it?
BFI Player, Amazon & Mubi all have it.

Hi!
I have a dvd rip of this film on my hard drive.

P.S.
Check out Stirchley's post above - hope you see it soon, looking forward to your impressions!