Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Cruella (2021)

I enjoyed this so much. I don't know whether it was just being back in the cinema that gave it an extra sense of joy, but it was just so much fun. The outfits were brilliant, the camerawork was good, the two Emmas are clearly having a marvellous time chewing up the scenery. Emma Stone in particular is excellent. The music is wall to wall and you'll either love it or hate it, I suspect. I liked how it gave a life to what would normally be the supporting characters - the villain and the henchmen. And the dogs. I liked the period detail like the 70s crisps and cereal (even though it was stuffed with anachronisms too). Since we got Disney plus at home I've seen dozens of bland films about perky teens who learn the value of teamwork through the power of dance, even when they are supposed to be villains *cough*Descendants*cough*, and was braced for more of the same with this, but it's not, it's much more.

10 year old's verdict: "That was such a good film."

+

Victim of The Night
Volver (2006)

-

The 4th movie I've seen from director Almodovar and so far I'd rank it last. The quality is still high. I enjoyed the characters, style, music, and all that good stuff. I wasn't as in to the narrative as I was his other movies.
Well, this is a good sign for me, actually, as this is the only Almodovar film I've seen and I really liked it.

A Vincent Price 2-piece meal:

House of Wax -

Pit and the Pendulum -

Good movie but the ending made me mad i really despise when movies do that
The movie spent its entire run time earning that ending. It’s integral.

I approve of A Serious Man's ending as well; that is, if I understood the movie correctly. My guess is
WARNING: spoilers below
it's saying that divine punishment tends to be a bit disproportionate to the crime. It escalates throighout the movie until a mere grade change causes a natural disaster.

BLUE MIRACLE
(2021, Quintana)

Even though it's based in real life events, there's hardly anything original about how things unfold in Blue Miracle. You will probably figure out how things will go 10-20 minutes in. But regardless of that, there is some heart to its simple story. In addition, both Quaid and Gonzales were pretty solid in it (for what it's worth, I saw the Spanish dubbed version).

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
Yeah, I wanted to like this film because I'm a Dennis Quaid fan. But it was a slog to get through. It was like watching neon. I suspect a documentary about the true story would be better.

I watched The Celluloid Closet (1995) on the Criterion Channel. Directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, this documentary is about Hollywood's depiction of gay characters in films throughout the history of cinema. I liked it, but I feel it could have delved deeper and gotten more in depth. They showed a lot of film clips and interviews with actors, but didn't always say which film the clip was from and didn't say the name of the actors being interviewed. It would have benefitted from simply putting the name of the film or actor speaking on the screen. In spite of my minor quibbles, I would still recommend it to all though. My rating is

Yeah, I wanted to like this film because I'm a Dennis Quaid fan. But it was a slog to get through. It was like watching neon. I suspect a documentary about the true story would be better.
I was half-watching, half-talking with the kids, half-doing other stuff, so maybe I didn't feel the
"slog" of it as much as if I had done a more proper watch. But yeah, like most real-life based things, the real-life account is probably better.

Birds (1963)

Birds? Who could believe such a thing?

Pair of music laserdiscs....Bob Dylan's had a massive concert with a bunch of top artists covering his work. Tracy Chapman, Neil Young, and Eric Clapton are really good...Dylan not so much.

Springsteen is perfect though 19 tracks and everything is perfect with a blend of videos and performances.

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=53012058

Rupture - (2016)

Desperate for a good horror film I struck out and took a chance on Rupture which unfortunately didn't pay off. This was directed by Steven Shainberg who has only managed to bring us two films since his excellent Secretary in 2002. Rupture has already been spoiled by being a terrible movie, but since even discussing it's genre is something of a spoiler I'll conceal this...

WARNING: spoilers below
This film is more science-fiction than horror. Something akin to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, it stars Noomi Rapace as everyday single mother Renee Morgan. Abducted by strangers, Renee awaits possible rape, torture or murder. It becomes apparent however that she's one of many prisoners who are being subjected to some kind of medical experiment. A combination of a newly discovered drug and being subjected to utter terror brings about a change in DNA to produce a new, alien, identity - one bent on replacing human beings.

Rupture tries to ratchet up the tension, but builds it's suspense for far too long without any kind of payoff. When they payoff comes, it's so clumsily presented to us, and so unlikely, we feel cheated. An overreliance on CGI is also disappointing. They're spiders ******* it. We actually have them in existence - there's no need to use computer game spiders in a movie like this. The body horror would also have been much better without the cheap CGI tricks which ring false. This might not have been the greatest film even with more practical effects - but it definitely rubs salt into the wound when we've waited so long for a payoff so small.

3/10

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7257485

Horror Express - (1972)

Monster? We're British!
Returning to cult films which are better than you'd ever expect them to be we have Horror Express starring Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Telly Savalas as a typically wild, irreverent Cossack. The story idea comes from the novella Who Goes There? which was first adapted into The Thing From Another Planet in 1951. I've always enjoyed plotlines which included digging up ancient monsters from long-frozen plains - much the same thing as the The Crate segment from the original Creepshow (1982). In this the frozen remains of an ape-creature (a possible missing link humanoid) are dug out of a cave in Manchuria and put on the trans-Siberian express by Professor Sir Alexander Saxton (Christopher Lee) - mayhem ensues when the creature escapes and begins absorbing the memory of every passenger it comes across.

This film moves at a cracking pace and you could almost call it a missing link between the sci-fi horror of the 1950s and 60s and the horror we were about to be inundated with in the 1980s (certain segments of the film feel like The Evil Dead on a train.) There's a mad monk, a spy, a thief, a doctor (Cushing) and various other interesting characters to mix into the 90 minutes of madness. There's a sense of warmness when you think about the fondness Cushing and Lee had for each other and the fact that the latter was helping the former any way he could after the death of Cushing's wife. The low budget of the British/Spanish production hides well under a film that only half takes itself seriously - the rest is a lot of fun and mischief, especially from a freewheeling Savalas. Fans of the genre should see this film.

6/10