Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Besides being the typical slacker, there are a few films I'd like to get in before putting in my List just before the deadline of the 10th. Though, most likely, I'll still be doing a Rectification List during the Countdown as well. And with Thursday Hosting, should be all kinds of wonderful fun as they always are for me.

I'm also pretty excited to try out the new Submission Tool, thanks again for that, @Yoda!!

Not showing up on this end, but if you PM me we can debug.

Best guess: filling out the list without hitting the button?
Yeah, I had just sent an Email to Thursday. After the list was completed I hit the "submit" button, but I kept getting a popup message asking whether I'd like to leave the page; and if I did, I might lose some of the information. I stayed a couple of times, then went ahead and exited.

If it's a tech issue like that you can just send it right to me, since Thursday's just going to have to forward it my way anyway. If you can forward me whatever you sent them we can try to figure it out.

There is indeed a safeguard to warn people before leaving (but it only triggers if they've started working on the list), just in case they accidentally click and lose progress.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Has anyone figured out how to add Ran?

Also Panahi's The Mirror?

I know you've had a reply, but for anyone else struggling to find films fromthe drop down list or worried about clicking on the wrong version, it is best to copy and paste the imdb link into the 'movie you want not showing up' bit. It then gives you a prompt to check it is the right movie.

It's funny. I've seen enough classics from around the world to have a good top 25, but this thread's motivating me to watch more Chinese classics. The problem is, there are so many I want to watch and I have to be careful about it because of my big list of every movie I've ever seen. I gotta make sure I don't frontload it with great movies or else it'll give off the impression that I like every movie I watch. So to fill this up I watch movies on MST3K/Rifftrax or movies related to those ones. Example: Watched Ator before I went onto the Ator 2 episode. There are too many I gotta see and I haven't even gotten around to A Brighter Summer Day yet. I'm also sticking with lesser-known movies by big-name directors I've already seen some movies from, that way I can more thoroughly explore the giants.

@Thursday Next, a question about the new ballot submitting tool. When you receive a copy of the ballot does it automatically place the movies in a spreadsheet for you? Or do you still have to copy and paste the movie titles into a spreadsheet yourself?

@Thursday Next, a question about the new ballot submitting tool. When you receive a copy of the ballot does it automatically place the movies in a spreadsheet for you? Or do you still have to copy and paste the movie titles into a spreadsheet yourself?

It's not a spreadsheet, but it automatically lists them in order of points received. Shiny, huh?

With 27 ballots in we now have 376 separate movies on the long list. We have enough movies with the required points to make a top 89.

There has been a change at the top, with the current front runner now 17 points clear of #2. But with your top film getting 25 points, that could change in the blink of an eye.

Keep those lists coming!

Design help wanted!

We are looking at how to make the countdown posts unique (hopefully in a way that reflects the theme) but in an idiot-proof and non-image-heavy way. If anyone has any ideas or expertise they would like to share, feel free to share here or PM me.

Submitted my list. As usual, I did end up watching almost nothing for this and I'm unhappy with my ballot even at the moment of submitting it. Also skipped the majority of the Italian cinema as I had zero interest in pondering which are eligible and which aren't.

Ballot sent, can't see me watching anything new that's gonna crack my personal Top 25 in the next few days.

Hoping The Shawshank Redemption is eligible - I did watch a French dubbed version of it on dvd

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I sent my list in. Can't wait to get 0/25.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.