What is your criteria for judging movies? Favorite/least fave genres?

→ in
Tools    

Duplicate Account (locked)
The only criteria i have for rating movies is how it succeeds in entertaining or surprising me, and this is always dependent on my mood.

One thing i keep finding is i tend to like almost anything in the "thriller" category. For example, a lot of people really despise the films "Kate's Addiction" and "Preying Mantis", and though is see some corny/contrived elements to both of them I can't say anything negative about the films overall. This is also mostly true for horror movies. I tend to find action movies have a larger proportion of contrived/corny elements, gratuitous displays of manhood, and choreographed fighting/special effects so i tend to like them a lot less.

I really like a good comedy every once in a while but i tend to specifically look for thrills and danger in movies so i think comedy is kind of boring on a regular basis.

My criteria is based partly on how entertaining and interesting a film is and partly on how well made it is. Favourite genres include drama, comedy, musical, action, thriller, and horror. Least favourite would likely be western and documentary.

Ill let some things pass if i think the concept of the film is original.. Ive seen some films i thought the ideas were great but not well executed but were still watchable so i tend to rate them higher because of the concept. This tends to apply to allot of sci fi's i watch.

I like Sci fi and Independent dramas mostly. So i watch mainly that and get bored by lot of other stuff these genres really dig deep to me.

Im probably a harsher critic on other genres and look for elements of films im used too in them.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I like whatever a movie offers, and no matter how "boring" it is I find the entertainment in it.

My main criteria boils down to how entertained, engrossed, captivated, and "into" the film I am, regardless of the genre. After that, factors like rewatchability and how much it sticks with me come into play. I can rate a film 3.5/5, or something like that, but if it sticks with me and makes me think afterwards, it might bump up a bit. On the other hand, if I don't think about it a lot afterwards, that might hinder its "value" down the road.

As far as genres, I will watch anything, but I tend to favor thrillers, sci-fi, and mystery/horror. The genre I seem to favor the least are biopics. There are tons of renowned biopics I haven't seen.

What is your criteria for judging movies?
If I like it, I like it...If I don't, then I don't.
LOL. There ya go.

The brain goes off during movies so judging films comes down to simply gut feeling for me.
Favourite genres: New Wave, Experimental, Surrealist, Travelogue, Found Footage Horror
Least favourite: Thriller, War, Medieval Fantasy, Biopic, Narrative Documentary, Mystery

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My biggest problem is choosing a movie, and then sticking with it. I think I've already seen my favorite movies, and just by looking at my latest ratings, I'm just satisfied if I can watch a movie all the way through nowadays. I know I've come across a great movie when I'm hoping it doesn't end... I don't give bad movies much of a chance to disappoint me. When I can't handle it anymore, I turn it off... I usually avoid movies made in the last 40 years, unless its something that really grabs my attention, but the success rate is low as hell, so I go with the probability, especially guys who have made movies I like; I try to watch their other ones until I've lost interest.

I like dramas, documentaries, thriller, unique, independent, minimalist.... Script and acting are the things that determine how I feel about the money. There are always exceptions, but I don't like sci-fi, period pieces, horror (unless its realistic).. I don't think I'll ever watch a musical again (I've only seen a couple), I love humor, but I don't see any in the genre "comedy", so I tend to avoid those.. I avoid action, a movie like "Die Hard" bored the hell out of me, and so I turned it off after 20 minutes... I avoid anime, too. I've seen one or two very good ones, but nothing else grabs my attention.

Again, if you have great writing and acting, almost any genre can be fine, but I couldn't watch "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (2nd attempt) after realizing everything was going to be sung. Fantasy is something I should love, since I'm constantly using my imagination and fantasizing, but I don't remember anything good.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I use very complicated criteria. Here's my formula to calculate a rating of a film:

where:

m - film's ability to elicit a non-guttural, transcendental response from the viewer
x - film's social consciousness; how much it tackles important societal issues
y - film's cinematography, scenography, use of lighting, all the technical measures, and how well they serve the story
v - film's creativity in terms of storytelling and presentation; how unique it is
C - film's pacing and overall feel both during watching it and afterward
G - how well the film delivers at what it promised; how honest the filmmaker is to the source material and the viewer
R - film's number of naked women
W - my whim
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I use very complicated criteria. Here's my formula to calculate a rating of a film:

where:

m - film's ability to elicit a non-guttural, transcendental response from the viewer
x - film's social consciousness; how much it tackles important societal issues
y - film's cinematography, scenography, use of lighting, all the technical measures, and how well they serve the story
v - film's creativity in terms of storytelling and presentation; how unique it is
C - film's pacing and overall feel both during watching it and afterward
G - how well the film delivers at what it promised; how honest the filmmaker is to the source material and the viewer
R - film's number of naked women
W - my whim

i had to vote for this one...especially seeing that a whim of 0 destroys the prestige and reputation of the film.

*lights up ciggy like Mel Gibson and rides off into the sunset*

I have absolutely zero definable criteria, but I know what I like. Some movies just vibe, y'know? And others ... don't.

Favoritism is fine, but I learned after having grasped the beauty of shoegaze that one genre can't be fairly determined by another, thus favoritism can get in the way of judging that.

Aristotle confirmed my theory in his book Poetics, where he describes genres based on their rules and differences, and what must be done to follow them and judge the genres by those rules. By relying on this method and forsaking favoritism, I can safely say I use a system for deciding for myself what is the best without letting my personal interests get in the way. For example: Citizen Kane is not a movie I'd take with me on a desert island, but it's well-crafted enough for me to call it a number 2 in terms of judgement.

This is NOT the difference between "objective and subjective" opinions. Both systems are decided on by the individual. One takes into account judgement and some interest, and the other takes into account stylistic and personal interest overtaking the other. For example, I'd prefer an action movie to a romance movie. This would be more accurately described as the difference between, for lack of a better term, "personal and professional opinions." By recognizing these differences, I accept both as very personal criteria and don't expect anyone to follow my rules. Having said that, even if they did, I don't expect them to even have the same top 5.

My biggest problem is choosing a movie, and then sticking with it. I think I've already seen my favorite movies, and just by looking at my latest ratings, I'm just satisfied if I can watch a movie all the way through nowadays.
Same here.

I have absolutely zero definable criteria, but I know what I like. Some movies just vibe, y'know? And others ... don't.
Exactly the same with me.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I tend to just give anything a go. But what I do tend to do is watch a movie of a certain genre, and then find movies similar and watch them.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I tend to just give anything a go. But what I do tend to do is watch a movie of a certain genre, and then find movies similar and watch them.
Yup to that. I recently watched a ton of submarine movies, until I had my fill. Fun way of finding stuff I'd never see otherwise.