The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

My 25th choice is not a one-pointer. It will very likely make the list.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
Dead Poets Society and Planes, Trains and Automobiles have to be the biggest surprises there. Wouldn't have expected either to get close to making the list, but just one point each is surprising.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is mine, I think. You're welcome.

EDIT: No, it's not mine. Sorry. It should have been on my list, though. Now I want to know who DID vote for it!

Welcome to the human race...
Such a bittersweet feeling when your #25 doesn't make the one-pointers.

Wanna briefly talk about my One Pointer, 1998's The Impostors.

Stanley Tucci wrote, directed and starred in it. It's a love letter to classic slapstick comedy and acting in general, but it's not the boring kind of homage where it just references or namechecks stuff and relies on your romanticism about past films to land: it's genuinely funny, and genuinely clever. It holds together as an irresistible farce even if you have little to no appreciation for all the things it's honoring.

It's also silly in a very grown-up way, in a The Princess Bride sort of way. You get the sense Tucci was just saving up ideas and one-liners for years and years before finally unloading all of them at once. And the cast is insane, which makes me think he called in a lot of favors, too: Tucci, Oliver Platt, Alfred Molina, Steve Buscemi, Lili Taylor, Tony Shalhoub, Allison Janney, Richard Jenkins, Isabella Rossellini, Campbell Scott (maybe the funniest character in the whole film), Billy Connolly, and Hope Davis. And they all get to make a delicious meal out of every ridiculous role.

It's one of the most endearing and charming films I've ever seen, and it's criminally underwatched, even in a place like this.

I'm the only person on the site to review it so far, and one of just two people to check it off as "Seen" (though that's a newer feature). I hope both of those things chance, because it's a hidden gem.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I didn't know the one-pointer thing was a thing but I think mine's a lock.

I was tragically correct, lol.

One-pointer watched report:
No, No, Couldn't, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, No, Might have
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, Probably, No, Almost certainly, No
No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Don't think so, Yes, Yes
No, No, No, Don't think so, No, No

Remarks: A fairly strong third set for me in terms of having viewed but ultimately just yet another reminder of how small a percentage in the great pantheon of movies I've actually seen.

One-pointer watched report:
No, No, Couldn't, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, No, Might have
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, Probably, No, Almost certainly, No
No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Don't think so, Yes, Yes
No, No, No, Don't think so, No, No
I want you to know this is the absolute least accessible way you could have posted this information.

I'm bummed that my movie didn't make the one pointer list...as I have my doubts that it will make the list, though it should!

The House on Haunted Hill (1959)....Could be Siddon's?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)...Neiba?

Poison for the Fairies (1984)...Oh I know who that belongs to

Sunday in New York (1963)...Sounds like a Gbgoodies choice

A Man For All Seasons (1966)...Pussy Galore's?

A Ghost Story (2017)...UsualSuspect maybe.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)...I shut this movie off after 15 minutes it was so overcooked, glad it didn't make the list!

The Florida Project (2017)....Rauls?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)...might be Edarsneal's

My Favorite Year (1982) ...I bet that wa
s Siddon's

Fun fact: the background for that One Pointers header image was part of some graphics I commissioned a very long time ago for the site's last redesign. I've got a few odds and ends like that I haven't gotten to use much, and some of them might show up here and there throughout the countdown.

I want you to know this is the absolute least accessible way you could have posted this information.
I do try

(In fairness when I started typing there were absolutely no responses to the one-pointers as yet so it would have been slightly more accessible)

My 1-pt. vote went to a fairly popular pick, I didn't put it near the top but had to include it anyways.