Do Men and Women Have Different Taste in Movie?

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
"Guy flicks" aren't about violence for violence's sake, it's more about the story of conquering a threat. Apocalypto is a good example, but I wanna point to Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon. He's supposed to be a dork, but the final scene in which he fights an enemy way stronger than him, just to protect his tribe, made him look like a man among men.

Mind you, if it the movie is good, than everyone will like it, not just men or women. A lot of women like Gladiator just like a lot of men like La La Land

I read something years ago that suggested they had done a study about the kinds of films people would watch (using demographics, age, race etc) and the findings suggested that men are less likely to be interested in seeing something that they dont feel represents them (i.e. the protagonist is not a white male, as even if for example fantasy settings, it related a lot to identification or that feeling of wanting to be as cool/ tough as the protagonist) than women, who are much more open to seeing films about different races, life experiences, cultures etc. than men are. All of that of course is just one study, and even then doesnt and wont represent everybody.

Im female, and I would say my taste is so varied, Ill watch absolutely anything. The only genres Im not a fan of and probably wouldnt go out of my way to see is war and disaster films. Even then you'll be able to find a couple I have still unexpectedly enjoyed like Platoon. My favourite film ever is Silence of the Lambs, and Id have a couple of horror films in my top 10, but then Id also have a couple of fantasy, sci fi or romantic comedy type films in there too.

I think the stereotype that annoys me most, and still endures, is this idea that women wont watch something unless they shoehorn in some romance subplot with a handsome male lead. Like okay, Ive no problem with straight up romance films, When Harry Met Sally will forever be in my top 10, and I also dont mind when a film makes good use of a romantic subplot as part of the story, such as Bridesmaids. But oh how do I hate that feeling of watching a film, and suddenly they just throw in that pointless little dalliance, that you just know has been thrown in because some studio exec somewhere thinks that women cant concentrate for long periods unless they have some nice eye candy to look at midway through. I hate it. I think its not as prevalent now, but while Ive been doing this Oscar watch thing Im doing, and recently went through everything from 1980, its crazy how often it happens. Probably at least 3 films Ive watched in the last 10 days or so had horrendous shoved in romance subplots that actually made the film worse!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think the stereotype that annoys me most, and still endures, is this idea that women wont watch something unless they shoehorn in some romance subplot with a handsome male lead.

I'd say 99% of movies have something romantic. I'd also add 99% of the leads are "beautiful" (not to me, as I think everyday women I see are much more beautiful than actresses)

First off, I wish I knew everyone's gender. No, I don't want to have sex

But I'm curious if there are certain things gender looks for, but also the exception to the average. I'm a guy, but shoot-outs, car chases (yes, even Bullit), the caper itself, some kind of escape, bore the hell out of me. To me, it's all formality I have to sit through and agonize.
Obviously, I'm female with a "gal" in my name, yes female. I wouldn't say that men and women like different movies. I enjoy a lot of movies that males like. I'm a comic book geek and a history geek. I enjoy battles, explosions, car chases and almost anything. But I enjoy romances too.

I think it goes back to what people like in life. What they enjoy reading or studying goes along with movie watching.

I know guys who enjoy romance movies. Heck, they have seen more than I have.

Also in my experience, men far outnumber women among the active users of this site so I don't think you're going to get a particularly balanced response.
I think that is a pretty balanced response in itself especially if you took into account its every movie site and then took it to its next obvious conclusion that men far outnumber woman among movie watchers.

Woman watch more soaps than men, I just read an opinion this is because men like quick conclusions which would make sense in regards to men being more avid film watchers also wouldn't it, just found that interesting.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I think that is a pretty balanced response in itself especially if you took into account its every movie site and then took it to its next obvious conclusion that men far outnumber woman among movie watchers
Women slightly outnumber men as movie watchers when it comes to the theater.

See the MPAA statistics from 2013 (the data you want is on page 13).

The gender composition of moviegoers (people who went to a movie at the cinema at least once in the year) in 2013 skewed slightly more towards women than the overall population, while tickets sold continued to be split evenly between both genders

Anecdotally from my years working as a video store, this seems right. And when I think about who in my friend group talks about movies, it's slightly more likely to be my female friends.

As for home/streaming consumption, from a different survey:

In January 2020, a survey held among adults in the United States revealed that 32 percent of men watched or streamed movies on a daily basis, compared to 27 percent of women. Data also showed that men were more likely to watch or stream sports shows more regularly, and daily consumption of TV shows was higher among women

So there is a disparity there, but not a huge one.

A better question to ask would be why men so outnumber women in online film discussion spaces or, as has so often been eloquently asked, "Y don't girls post here?"

A better question to ask would be why men so outnumber women in online film discussion spaces or, as has so often been eloquently asked, "Y don't girls post here?"
Probably because women are 'smarter' than men and have 'better things to do' like 'go to college and work on sustainable futures' than debate whether or not if someone with an 'XX Chromosome has a different cinematic opinion than that of a person with an XY.'

EDIT: And if you think my opinion here is biased, of course I'm biased, I'm a "Guy" and have been around "Men" most of my life... many of which I think are dumber than sh*t and are completely immature. In the words of Kurt Cobain: "Never met a wise man, if so it's a woman."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Women slightly outnumber men as movie watchers when it comes to the theater.
Im not talking about the theatre Im talking about the amount of hours spent watching movies, damn I nearly said this and wish I had

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I mean the general parlance is "chick flick" and I am not sure what the male alternative is called.
D*** flick

I always felt that a movie catering to both tastes is the best, like Titanic, for women it's a love story, for men a disaster movie. In reality it's both.
Or just maybe, for both, it's both

. But I think generalizations are stupid and don't really tell us anything.
Agreed.

It always annoys me when I go into a shop near mother's day and they have displays of DVDs and they are all chick flicks and rom coms. Sometimes I like to mix things up and slip in a superhero film or an action film. It's a lazy generalisation for lazy shoppers.

I don't think there's much mileage in the idea of people reacting differently to films directed by women, just because there are so many more people involved in a movie than the director. You might see more difference if you look in whether the film was written by a man or a woman.

Anecdotally from my years working as a video store, this seems right. And when I think about who in my friend group talks about movies, it's slightly more likely to be my female friends.
Give me a break.

Big co-sign. The disparity on forums is very noticeable, particularly given that it's not at all reflected among actual movie watchers.

I think that disparity carries across most topics, too, so I'm inclined to think that it has more to do with the medium than it does with the topic. There's also a self-perpetuating thing where if something is a bit more dominated by one gender, that itself attracts or repels the majority and minority genders, respectively, so that it reinforces. What might start as a 60/40 split for whatever benign reason might, over time, become an 80/20 by self-reinforcing.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
D*** flick

Agreed.

It always annoys me when I go into a shop near mother's day and they have displays of DVDs and they are all chick flicks and rom coms. Sometimes I like to mix things up and slip in a superhero film or an action film. It's a lazy generalisation for lazy shoppers.

I don't think there's much mileage in the idea of people reacting differently to films directed by women, just because there are so many more people involved in a movie than the director. You might see more difference if you look in whether the film was written by a man or a woman.

Kudos on mixing the DVDs up... I used to do similar things (when we had bookstores here).

We've gone on holiday by mistake

I did say that I was generalizing a bit, so cut me a wee bit of slack eh.

For me, yes. they have different taste and different personality

what does it matter.. I mean .. like I said...Im not into normal rom-com or such.. I enjoy romantic drama.. but I would rather watch something that normally a guy would watch.

even some of the sicker films I watch.... most females avoid....