Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Tools    

I've only been keeping slight tabs on this thread since it's considerably diverted from a conversation about Alita, but I'll contribute a thought here....watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night which experienced the critic-audience review score disparity similar to what we are seeing with Alita. Though it wouldn't receive a Best Picture nod from me, Bohemian Rhapsody was significantly better than Alita. I would be dumbfounded if Alita were to receive any nomination of that caliber. Alita was neither technically exceptional (though I could see an argument for the visuals) or outstandingly entertaining in my eyes. I do think we are walking on soft ground of objectivity v subjectivity though....

Welcome to the human race...
The thing is that it is fundamentally impossible to measure "artistic quality" objectively.

Art is fundamentally subjective: artistic experience is the communication that arises between the individual and the piece of art. Each individual is different so each individual will have a different communication with the piece. What is "beautiful" depends on the individual.
So far, so good...

I think that North American culture is particularly concerned with social conformity in terms of aesthetic tastes. In other countries, people are less concerned about "objective quality" of subjective things like movies and music, with means, essentially, they are less concerned about the concept of conforming to what is socially accepted as "good" or "bad", they have this very strong "review culture". That North Americans are so crazy about it is a bad thing in my opinion: they are forcing themselves to become slaves of the "socially accepted opinions".

In regarding movie reviews, I think that movies can only be objectively measured on how well they are received by their target audience. That is if the communication between the people who are the target audience for the movie and the movie results in a positive reaction. Alita's target audience is young people who are interested in a science fiction action movie. This target audience loved it, so it is, by this objective standard, a good movie.

But given North American critics did not love it, it might not appeal to the preferences of this (commercially insignificant) group. It is not like James Cameron was trying to make this movie pander to the few hundred paid movie reviewers in North America, as most of its revenues are projected to come from China and Japan anyway.
You do realise this is the same James Cameron whose films are not only well-reviewed by critics anyway but all of their thematic cores involve some variation on the kind of anti-corporate/anti-classism/pro-environmentalism mentality that would theoretically appeal to this particular "identity politics" strawman you've got going here, right? Not the best example is all I'm saying.

Besides, I think target audiences would be a worse measure of a film's objective quality than critics because they would be the most likely to love it without question. If a film flops critically and its creator says "we didn't make it for critics, we made it for fans", then that just sounds condescending towards said fans as it makes them sound like idiots who will eat anything up if it's got the right brand on it.

Of course, the feminazi critics like this one https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a...tle-angel-2019, are going to criticize the movie:

So, what does that say about the movie? Nothing. Her criticism only gives information about her, not the movie she is "reviewing": it says that the critic is unable to tolerate the idea that people might find what she calls "Barbie-size proportions" beautiful or that a female might develop a crush on a very attractive looking male that is Hugo.
bruh how you gonna call anyone a nazi with that avatar

But seriously, considering how positive the rest of the review is, I think it comes across as a fair criticism that's at least trying to make sense of this particular issue rather than just thoughtlessly accepting it because That's How It Was In The Manga. That's what critics are supposed to do - think critically. I don't totally agree with it, but I don't exactly disagree either. There's room for nuance on this thing rather than calling a Latina woman an intolerant feminazi simply because she questions how a Latina character is developed and depicted.

The vast majority of the world's population does not holt into any form of "identity politics".

Identity politics is a very recent and very Anglo-American thing that has no existence outside of Anglo-America from 1990 to 2019. It is a derivative of Marxism that emerged in recent decades and has deeply influenced the mentality of liberal-arts type people in Anglophone countries and some journalists elsewhere. In Japan, for instance, there is no such thing. In Brazil we have a little bit of identity politics creeping up among people who are easily influenced by American media.
Does the vast majority of the world's population also use the term "Anglo-America"?

It's not like white people on the Internet invented this kind of intersectional rhetoric anyway.

Identity politics is not a typical form of political ideology, it is a totalitarian ideology. A totalitarian ideology is such that is dominates the totality of a persons' though. In that case, a movie critic will be unable to tolerate any deviations from the "party-line" and will lash out at any perceived deviations. That is exactly what happened with the reviewer I quote above.
look I don't want to keep bringing up the nazi avatar but it really makes it difficult to take you seriously when you complain that totalitarianism is the reason people don't love the big-eyed anime girl movie

Totalitarian ideologies are enemies of art because art is communication between individuals: art is individual expression and totalitarian ideologies do not tolerate out any form of individual expression that does not conform to the "party line". Which greatly restricts artistic expression.
As opposed to declaring that the people who disagree with you on how to interpret said works of art are the real intolerant totalitarians?

For example, Anglo-American identity politics regard as intolerable the depiction of a female cyborg that looks thin or a gay man who suffered problems in his personal life because of his homosexuality.
Calling out the problems with these specific depictions does not equate to finding every single depiction "intolerable". At least do a better job of questioning why people would think that rather than going straight for the insults.

See? That is an exact example of totalitarian ideology in action right now: you find it intolerable to depict some things that, well, happen to gay people.

When I saw the movie I just saw it as a depiction of the hardships a gay man had to go through in the 1970s and 1980s. Yes, it was not easy to be gay back in the 1970s and 1980s. To depict that fact is disrespectful? I never saw anything remotely homophobic in the movie. In fact, I think that depicting Freddie as an LGBT activist first and as "Freddie, the artist" second would be the true insult, which is exactly what movie critics expected.
The problem is that Bohemian Rhapsody invokes those hardships for poorly-wrought dramatics and even character assassination (did I not already mention Freddie groping Jim Hutton, an incident that didn't actually happen but only adds to predatory gay stereotypes and looks even more unfortunate considering Bryan Singer's own history of sexual misconduct?). That's without mentioning scenes where the other (straight) members of Queen are shown to be visibly uncomfortable in the middle of one of Freddie's parties and later chide him for it before going home, or how it implies that actively engaging with homosexual behaviour leads to him self-destructing on both a physical and emotional level (to the point where he is treated as the sole irresponsible member of the group compared to his clean-cut heterosexual bandmates), or how it trivialises his AIDS diagnosis by shifting it to before Live Aid for dramatic effect (when he actually received it afterwards), and so on and so forth. In any case, I don't think you can be all "well, I didn't see anything homophobic in the film" when you've spent the whole time arguing that the only people who would complain about homophobia in this or any other film are "identity-politics totalitarians" or whatever.

Alita is not really concerned with "class warfare". That is a Marxist reading of the movie or the manga.

What the manga shows is that there exist a floating city where people are well-off and a dirty city at the "bottom" where people are not well-off. Although I thought that in both the manga and the movie the difference between scrapyard and Zalen is the difference between living in developed or developing countries and not really about social stratification since Zalen and scrapyard/Iron City are two separate societies. People in scrapyard dream about going to Zalen in the same way that people in Africa and Latin America dream about migrating to Anglo-America or Europe. Anyway, the existence of social stratification does not imply in the existence of "class consciousness" much less "class struggle", which are ultimately a Marxist fictions.
How exactly does the existence of social stratification not imply class struggle, especially in a film like Alita where so many of the characters' motivations and actions are rooted in the goal of traversing or controlling that extremely literal divide between the upper and lower classes? This is the problem with committing to a line of thinking that will shrug off any dissenting opinions as "identity politics" - you're not just dismissing other people out of hand but you're also refusing to acknowledge that there might be any greater depths to Alita that could challenge your pre-existing opinions.

Aita and transsexuality? What? I read all the 30+ volumes of the manga published over the past 30 years and there was never a hint of anything about transsexuality in it. I guess the movie's take on transhumanism would have more relevance on the obesity epidemic that occurs in North America as transhuman cyborgs in the movie never looked overweight (although there are some overweight looking cyborgs in the manga).
Doesn't matter if it's in the manga or not, that's what people can take away from it. It's not that much of a coincidence that the most popular cyberpunk film ever made was made by trans women and features significant levels of subtext to that effect.

The social role of a movie critic is to provide information to the prospective audience about the quality of the movies available. Information should be relevant to the prospective audience by informing the audience about movies they might enjoy before they watched it.

For example, when I read critics reviews of Alita I felt like reading a vegan's criticism of a steakhouse. How relevant is the opinion of a vegan regarding a steakhouse to the prospective public for the steakhouse? The critics reviewing movies like Alita or Bohemian Rhapsody are clearly not part of the movie's target audience, their criticism is only a reflection of that, their words have little resemblance to what the movies are trying to achieve.

When movie critics are approaching a movie without taking into account what the movie wants to do and what the audience might want from the movie they are not doing their job. Alita is not trying to be a neo-Marxist piece of identity politics, it is trying to be a science fiction visual effects-driven action movie. Movie critics are unable or unwilling to evaluate what it is trying to be and so they are not being competent.

Of course, some people argue that the role of a movie critic is not that: That critics should measure the "artistic value" of a movie. However, artistic value has no objective existence outside of the interaction between the movie and its target audience.
No sh*t. Critics have to review everything, including stuff for which they're not the target audience. If anything, the target audience might actually be the least useful source of criticism simply because of how biased they are likely to be towards loving a film. I'm reminded of that episode of The SImpsons where Homer becomes a food critic and gives every restaurant a good review simply because he loves eating food so much, thus rendering his criticism useless. There's also the assumption that critics don't try to approach a film on its own terms, which I also think is a broad generalisation - even that review you linked earlier has a critic trying to find worth in what she considered an outwardly promising film (and mostly succeeding in that regard) but you dismissed the whole thing on the basis of one paragraph that inadvertently invoked your dreaded identity-politics boogeyman. I can understand that Bohemian Rhapsody is ostensibly trying to celebrate the life and work of Freddie Mercury and Queen while also acknowledging that the film itself ultimately ends up being an extremely formulaic movie about a band that thrived on avoiding formulas at best and a film that actively disrespects its protagonist for the sake of creating audience-pandering nostalgia bait at worst. Even saying that Alita is "just trying to be a sci-fi action movie" sounds more condescending than anything negative I could say about it

That review is sickening - and to come from the Ebert website smh.
It's one thing to disagree with it, but if that mildly positive review with only one major criticism is "sickening" to you then I don't know what to say.

Not being a huge fan of novels known as Manga, I've always appreciated the stories they've created in the form of movies of television. Not knowing anything about Alita: Battle Angel prior to watching this film, I was eagerly awaiting this look at a futuristic world and with the talent in front of and behind the camera, I feel a lot of people should have been feeling the same way. While this movies groundbreaking in many ways, I would say the story itself, as well as the side plots, are not. There's a lot to like about Alita: Battle Angel, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Let's dive into one of Hollywood's latest releases. Cyborg pieces are found in a scrapyard by Dr. Dyson Ido (Christoph Waltz) and assembled to form Alita (Rosa Salazar). Now revived and not sure where she came from or what secrets her past hold, she sets out on a mission to find herself, becoming a warrior in the process. The story of someone not knowing who they are, only to become a noble hero, has been told many times throughout many mediums, but it always feels special when it's accompanied by great a great lead performance and visuals that are truly out of this world.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I find it a little weird when people say "the story was not ground breaking" or "the story isn't original. Is the story the film is telling told well? That's all I need to know. Same thing with Avatar. The #1 complaint I always hear is that the story is lacking, but it was told well in my opinion. Is it taken from here and there? Sure, what story isn't these days? It's still an original movie, yet all I hear is how unoriginal is it. It's so odd.

Suspect's Reviews

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I find it a little weird when people say "the story was not ground breaking" or "the story isn't original. Is the story the film is telling told well? That's all I need to know. Same thing with Avatar. The #1 complaint I always hear is that the story is lacking, but it was told well in my opinion. Is it taken from here and there? Sure, what story isn't these days? It's still an original movie, yet all I hear is how unoriginal is it. It's so odd.
Agree with this. Feel it suffers the most in horror films as they always need to outdo the twist at the expense of a coherent story.

I say, focus on the characters, the emotion. Story is no doubt important but not at the expense of other equally important areas.

And yes, a story can be a great if it’s been done before albeit with subtle differences. Art replicates art - humans are creatures of habit and so on. Keep it simple, inject well written characters, emotions and carry on with that to a natural end.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Honestly, I think that quote was probably more an attempt to offer a synonymous statement to not repeat what may have already been said.

I can generally agree with you that it's odd to highlight a story as a negative if the story was at least average. If it serves its purpose then great. In the case of Alita, however, the story was very chunky and haphazard. There was too much happening with weak transitions from point to point. Character moods and motivation flipped on a dime and several choices were made apparently only to move a character from point A to B so that the plot moved forward.

It was very weak, IMO. Compared to how well the effects were, that stood out more in contrast.

Don't get me wrong though. I did enjoy most of the movie. Just I wanted to maybe clarify what I felt maybe the poster meant.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wow an actual review of the film

Reviews of the film aren't hard to come by if you really care about them. I'd knock a review out if I thought it was worth the effort.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What a bore you are. Just making a joke that the last few pages didn't have many Alita reviews.

Eh, between how many people have seen this movie and how people don't tend to post reviews in these upcoming threads anyway, I'm not surprised.

Regarding whether or not my concept of criticism is essentially redressed opinion...I'd say it's at least partially true, and I reckon that's worth acknowledging with some honesty rather than attempting to hold one's self to some purely academic ideal of objectivity that may well be subconsciously skewed by personal perspective anyway. I disagree with a lot of different people when it comes to movies, but I don't think I outright claim that my arguments are inherently rooted in objectivity because that sounds like it's more liable to limit any sort of dialogue and my ability to process other people's arguments. Sometimes my responses are more about that kind of processing rather than trying to "defeat" a person by proving that my point is the only correct one. In any case, I just question the idea that it's a more valid form of criticism to separate "art" and message into mutually exclusive concepts that can easily be judged individually rather than examining how they inform or reflect one another's overall quality.
I was asking about criticism as a discipline, not how you personally choose to critique films. It's one thing to say you're personally going to approach films holistically and dismiss them based on cultural impact, but it's another to say this should be part of Criticism, if you follow the distinction.

I also don't think someone has to believe themselves above subjectivity to strive for some form of it. If you just say "everything's technically subjective" you end up in a very different place than you do if you say "everything's technically subjective, but we learn a lot by trying to find patterns in what makes certain art good." The latter is how criticism evolves in pretty much every art form, and clearly enhances our understanding and appreciation of aesthetic qualities over time. I mean, all human experience and opinion is subjective, but I'm sure you've talked to more or less objective people, making more or less objective arguments, and that's down to whether or not they actually bother to minimize subjectivity in a given area, or just give up and say, in typical Internet argument style, "THIS IS MY OPINION. IT IS VALID BECAUSE IT IS AN OPINION."

So, with that clarified, I imagine the question is clearer: what is Criticism? What's it supposed to do? It seems not to need to even exist as an idea at all if it's just going to be a rote "I like this" or "I don't like this," either without elaboration, or based on things that have nothing to do with artistic skill. It seems to me the entire idea behind formal Criticism is to try to isolate and cultivate artistic skill, which necessarily involves parsing it out from the even more subjective considerations of whether the critic likes what the film is saying. It seems pretty important that some people think this way, and that they at least not confuse the two.

As for whether or not this stance is simply reverse-engineered from arguments like the ones in this thread, I think the next post I quote makes it clear that there needed to be a better clarification of terms in order for any of this to really make sense, especially regarding the concept of objectivity in criticism (and what "objective" even means, and exactly how much relevance any of us think it really holds).
Amusingly, clarifying terms is exactly the kind of thing you'd want to do if you wanted criticism to be more formal and objective. If we're all just hurling opinions at each other, why even bother?

These methods can be considered equal in that they are both about compartmentalising whole artworks and emphasising different aspects of what makes the art good or bad, so obviously it's a matter of questioning why we should favour one method over the other - you could arguably compare it to splitting the difference between style and substance. If judging a film purely by its politics and/or messages is "no longer engaging it as art", then can't you say the same by judging it purely as a surface-level audio-visual experience? Maybe a pretty picture appeals to your aesthetic sensibilities, but it's what the picture is trying to communicate that's supposed to stick with you - I'm not just talking about politics here but also any other artistic theme. In this regard, this may well be what I formulate as the "best version" of the flip-side - that while acknowledging a film's more readily-discernable aesthetic qualities is all well and good, it still seems like it's missing a bigger picture than the alternative.
Sure, but that "picture" lies outside of the bounds of the art. It's missing a "bigger picture" in the sense that every portrait of someone is not also a picture of their family and every landscape stops before it finishes painting the rest of the world. This is what art is. Even art that wants to say something meaningful or cause change is ultimately about using tiny bits of the world to represent larger things.

"All art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame."