Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

Tools    

I've been thinking of doing a Russian film HoF for a while since Russia is my favorite country for watching foreign films. Would anyone be interested in participating?

Let the night air cool you off
I've been thinking of doing a Russian film HoF for a while since Russia is my favorite country for watching foreign films. Would anyone be interested in participating?
We did one that Solaris won, but that doesn't mean another couldn't be done.

The trick is not minding
I would be totally interested. But, I’m not sure how many will want to join another while we currently have 2 others going and the 25th due to start up on Friday.
Regardless, even if we have to wait for one to clear up, I’m in.

I might join, depending on what is nominated. I did enjoy the 1st Russian HoF that JJ hosted and I've liked a lot of the Russian films I've seen which were mostly classic/older stuff.

I would be totally interested. But, I’m not sure how many will want to join another while we currently have 2 others going and the 25th due to start up on Friday.
Regardless, even if we have to wait for one to clear up, I’m in.
That's a valid concern.

It looks like the deadline for the Asian Film Hall of Fame is June 1st and the deadline for the Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III is June 5th. Maybe I could wait for both of those HoF's to finish up and then post the Russian Film HoF.

That's a valid concern.

It looks like the deadline for the Asian Film Hall of Fame is June 1st and the deadline for the Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III is June 5th. Maybe I could wait for both of those HoF's to finish up and then post the Russian Film HoF.
You could wait, but by then other HoFs or movie events might have been started up. Timing is important, but it's not always cut-n-dried as to what is the best time. Basically if someone wants to host an HoF my advice is just go for it. Right now might be a good time for a Russian HoF as we're getting ready for the big Foreign Language Countdown and if you only get a small number of people those smaller HoFs can be fun.

BTW did you know how the scoring works in an HoF?

On each ballot: If there are 12 movies the top movie receives a score of 12, the next movie 11, all the way down until the final movie receives a score of 1. It would be the same for eight total movies or any other numerical value. The top rated movie always receives the score of the total number of movies. The host then adds up all the points from the member's ballots. The movie with the highest points 'wins' or more technically correct: it's inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame.

You could wait, but by then other HoFs or movie events might have been started up. Timing is important, but it's not always cut-n-dried as to what is the best time. Basically if someone wants to host an HoF my advice is just go for it. Right now might be a good time for a Russian HoF as we're getting ready for the big Foreign Language Countdown and if you only get a small number of people those smaller HoFs can be fun.

BTW did you know how the scoring works in an HoF?

On each ballot: If there are 12 movies the top movie receives a score of 12, the next movie 11, all the way down until the final movie receives a score of 1. It would be the same for eight total movies or any other numerical value. The top rated movie always receives the score of the total number of movies. The host then adds up all the points from the member's ballots. The movie with the highest points 'wins' or more technically correct: it's inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame.
Fair points. I might just put it up later today then. You and Wyldesyde already expressed interest in joining it. I just hope that a decent amount of people join it.

Also, thanks for giving me a rundown of how the scoring works. I kind of understood it, but your post helped to clarify it a bit more.

Fair points. I might just put it up later today then. You and Wyldesyde already expressed interest in joining it. I just hope that a decent amount of people join it.

Also, thanks for giving me a rundown of how the scoring works. I kind of understood it, but your post helped to clarify it a bit more.
You'll get more than just a couple of people joining. I posted here that I'd do an Asian HoF and only 3 or 4 people initially said they were interested, but after it was started we got 11 members.

You'll get more than just a couple of people joining. I posted here that I'd do an Asian HoF and only 3 or 4 people initially said they were interested, but after it was started we got 11 members.
Thanks, that's reassuring.

I'll write a rough draft for the thread later today and, before I submit it, would it be cool if I pm you with a screenshot of it to make sure I set it up properly?

Thanks, that's reassuring.

I'll write a rough draft for the thread later today and, before I submit it, would it be cool if I pm you with a screenshot of it to make sure I set it up properly?
Sure, I'm happy to help and I'm glad you're into this, very cool.

So I have a question about eligibility...

One of the films I'm thinking about nominating isn't a film but a mini-series that played on TV. It plays like a three-part movie and it's under the time limits 2.48 minutes.

Let the night air cool you off
So I have a question about eligibility...

One of the films I'm thinking about nominating isn't a film but a mini-series that played on TV. It plays like a three-part movie and it's under the time limits 2.48 minutes.
I think there is actually precedent for this situation. This is all based on memory of a controversy in a hof that I didn't actually participate in, but if I remember correctly, Guaporense nominated an anime miniseries thing and it was allowed, but only because he didn't tell anybody it was a series until after it already started. Then mostly everybody else hated it, partially because it was a series. I think there might have been conversations about not allowing miniseries in future hofs, but ultimately the rules usually end up being set by whoever hosts the thing. Like I said, this is all based on memory from events from probably 6-7 years ago.

This is what I'm thinking about nominating....it's the best version of the adaptation of the story ever made.

I don't see people watching this and hating it honestly.

I don't see people watching this and hating it honestly.
What little of the trailer I just watched (I always duck out early due to how often they spoil films) looks really good. If it's deemed ineligible, I might have to check it out anyway.

I know mini-series have been excluded from Countdowns, but I don't recall any discussions about them in HoFs. Some mini series do eventually get released in one cut on DVD/Bluray as well, which I think is worth noting.