Disney Shorts

Tools    

Before Snow White, Disney had been busy making shorts of Mickey and friends for almost a decade. You also have the Silly Symphony shorts, of which recently I've only viewed one.

A notable feature of the first Mickey shorts (as I recall I've seen 9 in the past few weeks) is that they were done in black & white (it was the 20s and 30s, after all). Another is that Mickey himself was not originally the goody-two shoes character we think of today: he was much more morally grey and some of his behavior would certainly disqualify him as a role model for kids today. Nevertheless it is interesting to take a peek into this era: Disney was certainly working it's way through the art of visual storytelling and it really is a marvel that the studio responsible for these shorts would soon give birth to the animated cinematic retelling of Snow White we are now familiar with.

As I watch more shorts I'll comment more. I suggest keeping this spoiler-free, as there are many shorts and we've all seen different ones.

Edit: Minnie herself wouldn't make an appropiate role model for girls either, as some of her behavior (such as that towards Mickey) can mislead them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Before Snow White, Disney had been busy making shorts of Mickey and friends for almost a decade. You also have the Silly Symphony shorts, of which recently I've only viewed one.

A notable feature of the first Mickey shorts (as I recall I've seen 9 in the past few weeks) is that they were done in black & white (it was the 20s and 30s, after all). Another is that Mickey himself was not originally the goody-two shoes character we think of today: he was much more morally grey and some of his behavior would certainly disqualify him as a role model for kids today. Nevertheless it is interesting to take a peek into this era: Disney was certainly working it's way through the art of visual storytelling and it really is a marvel that the studio responsible for these shorts would soon give birth to the animated cinematic retelling of Snow White we are now familiar with.

As I watch more shorts I'll comment more. I suggest keeping this spoiler-free, as there are many shorts and we've all seen different ones.

Edit: Minnie herself wouldn't make an appropiate role model for girls either, as some of her behavior (such as that towards Mickey) can mislead them.

Before Mickey Mouse, Disney created a similar character called Oswald the Rabbit. Disney created Mickey Mouse as a replacement for Oswald because he lost the rights to Oswald.