Generating subtitles/text for forign movies?

Tools    

I am looking for advice on converting foreign language movies audio to text. Kinda like how YouTube does auto generated subtitles. I have some movies that do not have any subtitles anywhere. I think the best way is to convert the audio to text in the same language the movie is in. Then I can use Google translate to get to English. That way, I can play with the words when the program gets the words wrong. I am not going to pay for a human translation service. I saw a website that says it does this. But it did not like the movie file I uploaded. Maybe the audio track is in the wrong format.

Anyone here ever do this?

Update. YouTube can do this. Kinda. You upload the video and tell YT to auto generate subtitles in the videos language. It takes maybe an hour for a ten minute video. It gets the words at least 50% correct in my quick test of a non-noisy film segment. Then you can do an English translation while watching it. The English auto translation is buggy. It will display subs for one person but not for the second person even though there are original language subs for that second person. Odd.

Anyone here ever do this?
Yes. Done it the same way you've discovered, but not for a full movie. Much better results translating the auto-generated native language than the auto English. Time consuming, but possibly worth it if you have no other options. Just in case you weren't aware, there's an option to copy all of the transcript with timestamps in the options of the player. If you search around enough you may find a downloadable .srt file or such that may be directly compatible with the movie in question, although the sites that host these aren't always the safest.

Yes. Done it the same way you've discovered, but not for a full movie. Much better results translating the auto-generated native language than the auto English. Time consuming, but possibly worth it if you have no other options.

Yes I found this out. And Bing translates better than Google.

Update 2: I just found out that Adobe Premiere can do this now. Much easier than uploading and downloading. There is a 7 day free trial and I can sign up for just one month and can do all the movies I need to do. I will see soon how well Premiere works. I expect it to be better.