Celebrities who became their own names

Tools    

I 'm going to warn you right now that this is sort of a silly thread. But it's a slow day today, and I was thinking of a way to pass the time. So I was thinking, after reading @Gideon58 's review of The Post, in which he calls the director a great storyteller: that Spielberg grew up to become what his name means - a 'spiel' being a lengthy story . Then I was thinking of another movie I saw recently; The Old Man and a Gun, in which Sissy Spacek played a good hearted gal who was, however, 'spacey' enough to take a ride from a stranger and think he was joking about being a bank robber .

Then there's Paul Newman - when you think of it; didn't he usher in a new proto type of iconic anti hero film character? - the bad boy of Hud ( not to mention Butch and the Sting ) who was somehow sympathetic to the viewer. Hence - a 'new man'.

I bet there's loads more, so feel free to take a turn. I'd say this is mostly for movie folks , but if you have a great one in another field - feel free to list them here.

One exception. No references to Anthony Weiner. Please. It would be too easy.

Not exactly an example of a synonym, homophone, or a pun, but Humphrey Bogart's name in the '60s came to mean --as slang-- don't hog something, but share it, as in, "Don't Bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me", from Easy Rider.

Bogart was a heavy smoker, and seemingly always had a cigarette hanging from his mouth, so we have a case of art imitating life imitating art...

~Doc

I 'm going to warn you right now that this is sort of a silly thread. But it's a slow day today, and I was thinking of a way to pass the time. So I was thinking, after reading @Gideon58 's review of The Post, in which he calls the director a great storyteller: that Spielberg grew up to become what his name means - a 'spiel' being a lengthy story .
Theres a lot to be said about this matter, as famous names are often taken to be some sort of action prompt or like symbolic interpretations, and thats why many of those names are crafted with this scenario in mind. And its so common and such an integrated facet of the entertainment industry but nobody talks about it directly. A sort of game, a word game, that everyone is playing, and not only with the names.

So, I was thinking about discussing this matter more in depth as its become like the elephant in the room.

People will take these names and use them like directions to act out. Say, "Steven Spielberg". You think "a long talk on the street big as an iceberg".

Now say, "Brad Pitt". His name is bigger than him. To some folk around here "Brad Pitt" isnt a person, brad pitt is a way of life. His name symbolizes something all-encompassing and important to these people. Bradding the pit, stretching the hole, eroding the edge of the large circle.

And it gets to the point where these name-games cant be avoided and take on a life of their own, whether you like it or not, and especially if you're an actor or moviemaker, you cant ignore it as its part of the scheme of things, like an invisible net holding some of it together. For those of us that arent in the thicket of things and whose lives arent dependent on crafting deep word games and playing along with them, it sure can get annoying.

Youll say to yourself yeah thats amusing haha funny. Now, lets get real because the charm is wearing off. Really, are you serious. I am so fcking sick of the brad pitt game lets play a different one. You know what man I dont even want to see his movies anymore, this welcome mat is bald. Thats a dramatization but you get what I mean.

Most people I've ever known in life dont have names like this, their names sound mostly meaningless, and without extra connontations. Many actor names sound like brand names.