6th HOF-Sonatine

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is what I wrote about Sonatine in my logbook thread, but with a little bit extra here about the ending of the movie.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...20#post1261420

I kind of have mixed feelings about this movie. It's supposed to be a gangster movie, but while the beginning and the end of the movie make it a gangster movie, the whole middle of the movie doesn't feel like a gangster movie. And the parts of the movie that I liked best were in the middle of the movie.

The middle of the movie is really the heart of the movie. That's where we really meet the characters. We get to know them as real people, not as killers in a gang. It's a bit slow, but that's the part of the movie that's worth watching. The rest of the movie is just about who's killing who, and who's going to make it out of each gunfight alive.

The ending is interesting. It seems like Murakawa finally has his life going in the right direction, but he chooses to end his life instead. He won the last fight so his gang is on top, and he has a girl waiting for him, so why would he choose to kill himself? It actually makes sense if you've been paying attention to the character throughout the movie. He doesn't seem to be a very happy person. He talks about how he's afraid all the time, and how death might be better than the way he lives his life. He seems happiest during his time at the beach when he's away from all the gang activity, so it makes sense that he doesn't want to go back to that kind of life.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Just finished watching this.

Amazing!!! I was hoping for a regular gangster movie but it ended being so much more than that!
I must admit the strange editing options distracted me a bit on the beggining but gradually everything started to be more clear... It's a cold, heart-wreatching masterpiece with an incredible powerful message about human degeneration!
The cold look of Tikanawa and his complete insensibility towards everything that happens (good or bad) make the final scene as dramatic as inevitable. It's visually astonishing and one can see that every shot is carefully planned whit the idea of creating a cold, hopeless atmosphere! Also, the soundrack is incredible!
It's one of those movies that don't try to explain everything, and that's what makes it so special!
Amazing nomination Gatsby!

-

Master of My Domain
Just finished watching this.

Amazing!!! I was hoping for a regular gangster movie but it ended being so much more than that!
I must admit the strange editing options distracted me a bit on the beggining but gradually everything started to be more clear... It's a cold, heart-wreatching masterpiece with an incredible powerful message about human degeneration!
The cold look of Tikanawa and his complete insensibility towards everything that happens (good or bad) make the final scene as dramatic as inevitable. It's visually astonishing and one can see that every shot is carefully planned whit the idea of creating a cold, hopeless atmosphere! Also, the soundrack is incredible!
It's one of those movies that don't try to explain everything, and that's what makes it so special!
Amazing nomination Gatsby!

-
Glad you liked it so much Neiba. Good job on spotting the greatness of the film hidden behind the somewhat meaningless strangeness that can be seen as a cultural barrier, but actually a message and theme anyone can understand.
Did you watch the same film that I did Neiba?
I really think you need a rewatch, Raul. I've only given
to very few films and most of them have Adam Sandler in it.

I really think you need a rewatch, Raul. I've only given
to very few films and most of them have Adam Sandler in it.
I think raul rates movies he didn't like REALLY LOW if they're popular. Because, well, I don't know how any rational person can give Sonatine or Cries and Whispers only one star.

It's just raul being a contrarian.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just finished rewatching Sonatine. I think it's great. I'd forgotten how much I really like the music, and how funny it is at times. So laconic. I love all the shots of people standing around blankly not reacting to things. It's both funny and disturbing at the same time. You know from the start that their strange idyll at the beach can't last forever, the violence of their past lives doom them all to violent ends. I like the way they don't quite know how to relax and have down time without shooting things and blowing things up, like fish out of water. Kitano's great, but I like the supporting characters too, especially the two younger guys who seem to make friends. The film looks great, I like the brightness of the beach and how that contrasts with the grey offices at the start.