Favorite Decade of Movies

Tools    

and Why?

My favorite decade is the 80s. I love the 90s with movies like Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump, Jurassic Park, Scream being a few of my favorites. Of course the Coen Bros did some HUGE things in the 90s as well as the rest of Tarantino's catalog. The whole Chris Farely/Adam Sandler movement was pretty darn great as far as comedy goes, and also John Hughes even was writing movies in the 90s for about half a decade. (Home Alone, Beethoven, Dennis the Menace.)

But there is just something about the abundance of movies in the 80s that draws me in. So many great Teen Comedies in the 80s I still don't understand what happened about the 90s that created the divide. Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Vacation. John Hughes in the 80s had his hands on serious about 10-15 great films whether he wrote them or directed them. Other comedies in the 80s like Caddyshack, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Revenge of the Nerds. Movies like these came by the dozens^. Spielberg hit em with E.T. and Poltergeist on back to back weeks in 1983! Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, The Goonies. Movies like these made the 80s the best time for Family/Comedy/Adventure. Die Hard, Terminator, Predator, Arnold, Sylvester Stallone really held the decade up as far as action goes, but Judgement Day in the 90s took that to a whole new level.

Aaand of course Horror in the 80s came in waves. The Slasher genre was literally created in the late 70s and then just done to death in the 80s. There are so many terrible horror films in this decade. Even more great ones like Nightmare on Elm St, Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, Evil Dead are still very relevant in America today which is kind of interesting considering it has been almost 30 years since the films were released.

Carpenter, Craven, Zemeckis, Spielberg, Donner, Howard Deutch, Harold Ramis, Joe Dante, John Hughes, Christopher Columbus. There was just something about Hollywood back then. You can call it nostalgia all you want but there was something good going on in the creative process of making movies. The originality of every character in every film. Not nearly as many remakes as today. The HOT thing in the 80s was to write an original script. That is why movies like Back to the Future, ET were being made like clockwork. Back then, these were the money makers. Now, Hollywood has realized Big names and remakes can make you money without even making a decent film. Not saying great movies aren't made today, just saying there is a ton more BS in between.

Every Decade has reasons for being better than the others, and this is not a thread made to argue. Just want to here what your favorite decade of movies are and why.

Haha 70s were absolutely terrific in every way. Star Wars. Case closed.

Nah but seriously, why the 70s?

Taxi Driver, The Godfather Part I & II, Chinatown, Nashville, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, Dirty Harry, 3 Women, Halloween, Alien, Play Misty For Me, Close Encounters, Apocalypse Now, Cries and Whispers, The Long Goodbye, The Last Picture Show, Star Wars, Deep Red ... the list goes on and on. That's just to name some of my absolute favorites.

90's - Goodfellas,Forrest Gump,Pulp Fiction,Se7en,Schindler's List,Leon,Reservoir Dogs and Futurama started in the 90's,too. Movies in the 90s were more entertaining but still quite artistic.

The second place would to go the 70s since my three favorites were made in this decade - Godfather,Apocalypse Now and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.I also enjoyed The Deer Hunter,Clockwork Orange,Dog Day Afternoon,Johnny Got His Gun,Stalker.I believe that the 70s was the decade were the most complex movies were made.

Something about the 80s teen comedy that I just really love. There are about 50 of them worth watching and then 90s came around and you had Clueless, American Pie, and maybe a couple more.

Mainly my favorite time period for movies is 1975-1995 about. Late 70s were coming hard with movies like Close Encounters, Alien, Star Wars, Carrie. Late 70s definitely set the tone for the 80s as far as comedies and horror goes.

Im probably older than most on this forum, and my favorite decade for movies would have to be the 50's or 60's. Altho they have made several good movies in every decade those two decades would have to be my favorite.

James bond start series

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Taxi Driver, The Godfather Part I & II, Chinatown, Nashville, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, Dirty Harry, 3 Women, Halloween, Alien, Play Misty For Me, Close Encounters, Apocalypse Now, Cries and Whispers, The Long Goodbye, The Last Picture Show, Star Wars, Deep Red ... the list goes on and on. That's just to name some of my absolute favorites.
Hard to beat this.

Nother vote for the 70's here
Mean Streets
Fingers
Sutherland's Body Snatchers
Klute
Slueth

These are some great ones! I love many films from today equally.

I love so many of the big movies from the nineties. If you're talking horror I think the 80's was the greatest decade EVER!! The practical effects looked amazing. That was the prime of horror movies. Granted there have been some good ones through the nineties and two thousands, but none of them will ever compare to Eighties horror.

I would say the 70's. New Hollywood began and some of those directors still work today and commonly listed and some of the best filmmakers ever: Spielberg, Scorsese, Allen, etc.

There were so many landmark films.

Annie Hall - one of the most revered rom-coms which gave the genre a higher status with its Best Pic Oscar.

The Deer Hunter - think it was the war film responsible for spawning the wave of great Vietnam war pics (Platoon, Apocalypse Now, etc.)

Star Wars - no more needs to be said.

The Godfather - still stands as the greatest piece of filmmaking ever. In my opinion anyway.

90s - Seven, Mighty Ducks, Home Alone, Titanic, Armageddon, Air Force One

among others
I have had a lot of time to think it, think about what it is, that makes somebody a good parent, and it's about a constant scene, and it's about patience; and it's about listening; and it's about, and it's about pretending to listen, even when you can't listen anymore; and it's about a love like she said. - Sam

I would say 2000's.

Movie Forums Extra
2000's movies