Breaking Bad

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
WARNING: "Mini-finale spoilers" spoilers below
Totally agree on that. And yet they just threw it in like it was an aside. Which makes me think something's up and we'll see it all in those last eight episodes. The lack of information was quite telling.

Also, I rewatched it yesterday, and when he turns off the faucet as Skyler's doing dishes to tell her he's out, the look on his face makes me wonder what's up. He seems genuine -- he even looks poignant and a bit sad. So, could he have initially meant it at that point? Could the season have ended with him thinking he'd really gotten out? Will the Hank knowledge now change that somehow? Will it simply be that, despite being out, it's too little too late now that Hank is onto him? And he'll end up on the lam as we saw in the beginning of the season?

And yet, they really didn't show us much of a change in Walt's attitude to get us to the point of him wanting out. After all, when Jesse asks him if he's in the money business, he says no, that he's in the EMPIRE business. And we believe it because it's been leading to this point for a long time.

So, how would a simple pile of money in a storage locker and yet another request from Skyler get him to change his mind? That's why I asked about the nostalgia bit. That scene with Jesse HAD to mean SOMETHING. Was that all we're supposed to need in order to think Walt's not having any fun in the empire business anymore?

And yet, during that montage over "Crystal Blue Persuasion" (great song choice, BTW, from my childhood), we don't see anything but smooth operations and money rolling in....

I think there are just enough questions to keep us curious till the last eight episodes air, without it being totally frustrating and angering. The ending is not clear, by any stretch. But I'm still sure it won't be good. Or at least, not good for Walt. I have a little more hope that Hank might live through the series. Gosh, I hope so. I had too many feelings of "Unbreakable" good-vs-evil heroes over the past few episodes... and Hank is the good guy, of course. To hear him wistfully talking about one of his early jobs marking trees made me feel so bad for him and the burdens he carries.... Would hate to see him not triumph completely.

WARNING: "More..." spoilers below
And yet, I keep thinking all those little scenes in that last episode tie things together for us...

That MRI. His wanting out. The big pile of money. Are we coming around to where the series started? Walt's got lung cancer, it looks bad, and he wants a certain amount of money in order to keep his family afloat when he's gone? Did that pile of money trigger those initial reasons all over again because he has heard the test results but we don't know them yet?

It would somehow give the writers a way to semi-redeem Walt in the end, even if he dies or goes to prison: His focus could go back to his family and making money for them even if he dies of cancer. Perhaps that first scene in the diner with the full head of hair means he's on the lam and can't seek medical treatment for the cancer, but knows the family has a pile of money no matter what. And purchasing the automatic weapon could simply be a way of protecting himself from all eventualities... or a showdown with Todd or whoever took over for him....

Ehhh... thinking out loud. But just KNOWING that no scenes in that last episode were extraneous... MRI scene, Jesse/nostalgia scene, money pile scene, "I'm out" scene, etc. All are pointing us somewhere, but subtly...

I urge anyone who's totally caught up, including the final half-season's mini-finale last week, to go back and watch the very first pilot episode while this last episode is still fresh in your mind. I did this last night, mostly just out of curiosity, and I must say, I'm impressed with how the show's writers have stayed on point since the very first episode. Everything you'll need to know about all the major characters is right there in that pilot episode.

Despite the insane plot swings over the years, they've stayed focused on their main story and kept their main characters true to their original selves and possibilities. So many shows don't do that. Even great shows like The Sopranos show too many signs of characters morphing over the years, into almost stereotypes of themselves. The Tony Soprano of the first episodes isn't the essential Tony Soprano of the last episodes. And not just because characters change. I mean that he's written and acted differently than he was in the early episodes, like the writers and actors were growing into the parts as they went along.

Not so with Breaking Bad. Nothing we see about Walt or Jesse or Skyler or Hank or Marie should surprise us now -- it's all there right in Episode 1.

I marveled.

I can't wait to see how the show plays out next year.

Yesterday I finished 8 episodes of the fifth season and only now I can agree that Walt really turned to the dark side.His motives are now driven by greed and his ego and from being an interesting character,he is now despicable.It's a funny thing that "Scarface" appeared,I guess Yoda was right about the similarities between the two.

This guy will do anything to keep his family togther, Mr. White be good.

One of the best shows ever!
I wonder what happens in the end..... Can't wait for the next episode!

Saw S5 for the first time. Just blasted through it in 2 days.

Thoughts:
  • Amazed at how logically they made everything progress, without making you think: 'hmm, this is kinda of forcing it into the direction they want to take'. From Mike's reasoning about pushing on with the distribution of Walt's meth over Jesse quitting to Walt's true nature manifesting itself even more.
  • Never do I think Walt really got out. It would be uncharacteristic for him + I don't think it's realistic to assume that a major drug organisation (the guys from Phoenix) would just allow him to get way unscathed. Even if he trained Todd to be his successor, I don't think they'd let him walk. Not training Todd completely is his guarantee he'll live, because it makes his being alive indispensable to the drug op. If they kill him without getting his 'recipe', the quality of the product would diminish.
  • His cancer has come back, with a vengeance. I think this'll be what really kills him. Not the feds, not some drug organisation, not Jesse, but his cancer. Maybe Hank will get remorseful and neglect the money trail to insure Skyler and her kids' future, but I would almost think of that as a diminishing of the quality of this series. You don't get out unscathed of this business. No one has so far, and they're not through.
  • I don't think this series is on par with S4 or S3 so far, but it's still better than any drama series out there right now.
  • The scene where Walt buys himself and Flynn new cars, was all kinds of bonkers. That was ultimate badass.
  • Biggest lol-moment: after they successfully pulled the train heist, Jesse's classic: YEAH BIIITTCCHH

Finished here. It's been fun.
Cannot wait for the final 8 episodes! Only 15 days left you guys.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I cannot wait for the final part of this series, great show

I cannot wait for the final part of this series, great show
Word. The first show since The Sopranos that has me excited for the final episodes.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The episodes names for these final 8 episodes are:
Blood Money
Buried
Confessions
Rabid Dog
To'Hajillee
Ozymandias
Granite State
Felina