My Bloody Valentine...

→ in
Tools    

With Jason and Michael Meyers getting all the attention of being remembered as the original 80's boogie man, we often forget about 'My bloody Valentine'...I think you could throw that right in there with Halloween and Friday the 13th as kind of being apart of that 80's cult slasher film genre...

I rented the video recently...and well, it is what it is...a slasher film.
Sometimes you so desperatly want to believe that there will be a meaningful plot or theme around these film....kinda like opening up your refrigerater kinda believing that if you open it up enough times a turkey dinner will appear.
These slasher films are all basically the same, written the same, use the same demographic of victims, same studio music, same color or film effect ect ect...

You could interchange the villian in any one of these movies and you couldn't tell the difference...

In other words you could put Michael Meyers in a movie written for Jason and Jason in 'My bloody Valentine'...and you'd hardly know the difference...
I mean there's only so many ways you can tear someones skull apart or rip their spleen out...
And the scare factor is about zero. It's telling when there are films that aren't even in the Horror genre, that do a better job at scaring you than some of these slasher films...
Any ways that's my somewhat unsophisticated take on 'My bloody Valentine' (2009 version)

In the wake of Halloween and Friday the 13th, many similar films were released, most of which had little or no distinguishing features. One of the most effective and atmospheric was My Bloody Valentine.

Shot in Canada and very infamous for it's brutal battle with the MPAA, My Bloody Valentine is a surprising success, and a wonderful addition to the slasher genre. The acting is good, which comes as quite a shock for any slasher lover. The deaths, while obviously edited, are very effective and intense, especially the laundry room sequence. The image of the killer, dressed in a full miner's garb, smashing the lights along an already dark mine shaft, while a group of victims try to escape is terrifying.

The setting is quite interesting. Most Canadian films try to disguise the fact that it's Canadian. Well, this movie doesn't, which makes it very neat.

I'd say that it's lush photography, good acting, frightening set pieces and killer, and brutal deaths make this is one of the most impressive slashers of the 80's, maybe of all time.