The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

When I first heard about David Fincher making a Facebook movie I was all, 'that sounds dumb what is he doing." But it's an excellent film. Didn't make my list but would have made a top 50. Now I want a sequel! Same people involved. It would probably be great too.
Same on all counts. I thought it sounded moronic, and I can't believe how good it was/is. I think I've seen it three times and it's felt fresh and entertaining every single time.

It was my #2 film and while it moved around a little as I considered my ballot, it was one of the first things I wrote down, and I'm not sure I ever considered having it outside of the top five.

I'm sure this channel (and if not this channel, this type of channel/video) is familiar to many of you, but I'll post it anyway:

Sorkin, Structure, and Collaboration

Oh come on MoFos, really The Social Network at #6? There are tons of movies from the 2010's way better than this film, Ida for one. I suspect people like the subject matter because I seen the film and it was OK, a bit better than the average film but nothing that great. Then again I've never even seen Facebook and I refuse to do social media like Twitter.

Oh come on MoFos, really The Social Network at #6? There are tons of movies from the 2010's way better than this film, Ida for one. I suspect people like the subject matter because I seen the film and it was OK, a bit better than the average film but nothing that great. Then again I've never even seen Facebook and I refuse to do social media like Twitter.
Holden has already said it best when talking about this film's subject matter, but all I wanna say is that I wouldn't lump all social media into one homogeneous group. A lot of people don't really use twitter as a social media platform in the sense that they don't use it to communicate with their friendship group but instead as a great source of news and original content. I don't "tweet" much myself, but I will constantly be checking twitter and I always know what's going on across the world, it's great for current affairs, politics, sports... well, everything. I won't ramble on as it still may not be for you, but don't write it off

Honestly? I think it's the opposite. The subject matter seems awful. Facebook? A legal deposition? On paper it's ridiculous, and I thought as much when I heard of it. I honestly can't think of anyone who was excited about it because they like Facebook, or whatever.

Now, if someone wants to argue the other way, that it gets too much credit because people are surprised at how well it works, that its credit is less for being a great film and more for being a great film in spite of its natural limitations, that's another thing. There's definitely some kind of degree-of-difficulty score adjustment going on, though I think that kind of thing is reasonable to factor in.

Anyway, forgot to link to it before, but here's my review of the film from way back. Tiny excerpt:

The film is shown mostly in flashback; there are two frame stories, both depositions to settle lawsuits filed by Eduardo and the Winklevoss twins, respectively. This conceit allows the film to fly from one event to another at breakneck speed without losing control, as each character can essentially narrate their own version of events. Occasionally we have to remind ourselves that all the principal parties are under 30 years old. The term "white collar crime" seems antiquated; today's moguls generally prefer gray hoodies.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
While it's an ok movie, I would still agree that there were better choices. But this was an obvious top 10 movie once we knew the countdown was on. The forum loves Fincher.

While it's an ok movie, I would still agree that there were better choices. But this was an obvious top 10 movie once we knew the countdown was on. The forum loves Fincher.
Yeah I agree I knew it would be top 10 before the countdown started. I mean people talk about this film alot, maybe that's why I found it middle of the road when I watched it...too high of expectations. I didn't hate it though at least

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
10. The Tree of Life (2011) (years ago seen 30 min, then left)
9. Her (2013) (years ago seen 20 min, then left. This morning started again, 40 min reached, promise to try it to the end)
8. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) (two years ago managed to see the whole movie)
(40/100)
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
+ (64/100)
6. The Social Network (2010) (stood the entire movie back then)
(40/100)

Still not saying a word.

When I saw this at #6 on this countdown it made me think of this lol

I think some people are just playing it safe now , if you look up the the top movies of 2010, the top 10 movies are mostly high on the list. Honestly though, this list has been good so far there's a few movies that you probably wouldn't see on those top 2010 movie lists like Easy A, Deadpool and a few others, when you look on other movie sites.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

...Honestly though, this list has been good so far there's a few movies that you probably wouldn't see on those top 2010 movie lists like Easy A, Deadpool and a few others, when you look on other movie sites.
Yup! agreed...I might not like all the movies on the list (who does?) but this has been a super fun countdown! That's thanks to SpelingError our host & Yoda for his behind the scenes work.. and thanks to us MoFos for participating!

Also, since it's been brought up a few times, given that I didn't care much about social media either (or biopics, to be honest), I wasn't interested in checking out The Social Network, but like Holden, I felt it was much better than it had the right to be. I also don't think you need to enjoy social media to find the subject matter interesting. The film is more about what you have to sacrifice, the friendships you may have to forego, and the people you may end up betraying to be rich and successful than it is about the mundane logistics of how social media works. I knew very little about how Facebook worked before I watched the film and that wasn't a problem for me.

As is traditional nowadays, many of us start revealing films we had on our list that we know didn't make it. I want to start with my 1-pointer, wondering who else voted for it :

My #25 - Climax

This Gaspar Noé film could well be classified as horror, and it's an unrelenting and harrowing ride. A dance troupe has their drinks spiked with an hallucinogen, and what follows is a human inferno that rages through the building they're in. We watch on as a few dozen people suddenly lose their minds - this is so well filmed, and a well choreographed hell-ride that meets Noé's typical standards for disturbing an audience. One of the best horror films of the decade, and another addition to his fascinating and grotesque library of devilish motion pictures. Who else voted for this, my 1-pointer? I hope to find out.
I saw this. What a nutty movie. I have seen a couple of his films. I enjoy watching them. I like to see where they are going. They are car crash movies. I have also never seen people act that way on acid. but my experience isn't that deep. But they must have been given a massive dose. I have no idea what he may be trying to get at or explore but I am here for it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Still not saying a word.
Looking forward to seeing your list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well, I guess I'll join everybody in sharing some of the ones that didn't make it from my list...

#24. A LATE QUARTET
(2012, Zilberman)

"For us, it means that playing for so long without pause, our instruments must in time go out of tune, each in its own quite different way. It's a mess. What are we supposed to do? Stop? or struggle, to continuously adjust to each other up to the end, even if we are out of tune? I don't know."

A film about the inner struggles of a string quartet comprised of middle aged musicians? (BOOORIIIIING!) Surely one might think so, only that it's not; at least for me. I saw this a couple of years ago to complete one of my challenges. The main draw for me was Philip Seymour Hoffman, who plays the second violin from the quartet, but you also get Christopher Walken, Catherine Keener, and the underseen Mark Ivanir as the other members, and they're all great as the film follows the internal conflicts that come to the surface when one of them is diagnosed with an illness. The result is a very mature and finely acted film about professional jealousy, aging, and life regrets.

#23. MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS
(2017, Sourya)

"Women, you all love playing victim."

A couple of pages back, @pahaK brought up the surge of Indonesian horror lately, but the surge seems to be in Indonesian cinema in general; or at least that's what I can get from this gorgeously shot, meditative film. It follows the struggles of a woman in trying to find justice after being robbed and assaulted by a gang. Directed by Moulin Surya, the film puts forward the impotence of the character in handling her situation, as well as the differences in gender politics in the country and within law enforcement, while also playing as a bit of a road film/revenge thriller. The film is a hell of a slow burn, but it works damn well since the film has been stuck with me since I saw it a couple of years ago.

#22. THE LUNCHBOX
(2013, Batra)

"Somwhere I read that the wrong train can lead you to the right station..."

This is one I think I brought up in a previous countdown, but it has become a personal favorite and one that I often recommend, based in just how touching and lovely it is. The film follows two people (Irrfan Khan and Nimrat Kaur) that get involved in an endearing note exchange through a mistake with Mumbai's lunch delivery system. I love how, even though its kinda marketed as a romcom, it takes a more introspective look into relationships and age. Both leads are wonderful, and the film is just one that makes me smile.

Seen: 72/95

My ballot:  

"I, Tonya" was my #6. A funny parody, that blends some factoids within, about that wacky life of Tonya Harding. Allison Janney is perfectly cast as her sadistically demanding mother.

Aww! I forgot about this wonderful movie. It probably should have been on my ballot.

Do you think it is a movie about using Facebook? It. Is. Not. It's about the starting of a company and the personalities of the people involved and their betrayals. You need know absolutely nothing about Facebook.

Well aware of its content, just has escaped my radar.