Documentaries

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
@rauldc14@MovieMad16;Have you seen Maradona? Also made by Asif Kapadia, who made Amy and Senna.

It's another amazing documentary. Apparently there was so much footage that he had to use that there's a huge version (I can't remember exactly how much but something like 9 hour) version.
This was great.

Have you seen Maradona? Also made by Asif Kapadia, who made Amy and Senna.
It’s in my Netflix Q someplace.

The trick is not minding
If you guys haven’t seen it yet, I really suggest Genocide (1981). It’s a bleak but honest documentary about the Holocaust that explains how it was able to happen without pointing fingers directly at everyone, yet making sure we understood.
It won the Oscar for that category, and I decided to nominate it in our HOF we’re doing. Give a watch. I’ll be reviewing it again shortly myself.
It’s narrated by Orson Welles and Liz Taylor, and includes personal accounts from survivors. Currently available on Prime.

A Frederick Wiseman documentary. Some of his work I enjoy more than others.

I did finish this, but some parts were excruciatingly boring.

Matt Green walked every street of each of the 5 boroughs of New York City plus beaches, parks, etc. 8,000 miles plus. Very nice guy & an amazing feat of stamina, madness, obsession, whatever you want to call it.

I think the older you get the more you enjoy a good Doc lol. Played basketball my whole life and I am a huge fan. I remember I read the Hoops Dreams book in high school before I even knew it was a filmed doc (which is rare I don't read a lot which you can probably tell ). Innovative as hell for it's time. Sports just lend themselves so well to documentaries for some reason.

But these 3 documentaries are worth your time even if you are not a basketball fan.

Once Brothers - 2010

About Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic both made it to the NBA. Petrovic was considered the MJ of Europe and was the first really big import from Europe to the NBA. Vlade had a long successful NBA career as well. Both played for Yugoslavia before it dissolved into different countries because of war. They were best friends until war separated them. Won't say much more if you don't know how it all ends up. The countries that make up Yugoslavia today still produce a crazy about ball players including Luka Doncic.

Survive and Advance - 2013

This is probably my favorite doc 30 for 30 ever did about the 83 NC State team that won the National Championship. It will make you laugh, cry and entertain the piss out of you. They were not suppose to win the Championship, hell they needed a miracle ACC tournament just to qualify for the NCAA tournament. Jimmy Valvano just oozed of charisma and some of his players have it in spades as well, he rubbed off. That's why it's so damn entertaining. Of course Jimmy V died of cancer in 1992 but gave that indelible speech at the 1992 ESPY's. Fate had him win that title in 83 to give that speech. Crazy.

Bird & Magic: A Courtship of Rivals - 2010

This is the GOAT for sports docs in my book. If I was going recommend one sports doc this would be it. It's just beautifully made. It's about a rivalry turned into a friendship. It's a great basketball history lesson if you are too young for Magic and Bird (I was born in 87 so I was too young, but my dad tells me all about them ). They saved the NBA and Jordan took it global. Black vs White. East Coast vs West Coast. Lakers vs Celtics. But in the midst of all that you find humanity in your rivals. I can't recommend it enough, I'll go back and rewatch it every few months. It just makes me smile.

Then these two are just kind of selfish recommendations for me ha. Both involving Shaq.

This Magic Moment - 2016

This simply was my childhood and the reason I am such a massive Orlando fan. I was born in Orlando. Spent a lot of my childhood going to Shaq and Penny games. Man those teams were great and fun. It's a crazy story about how that team escalated so quickly then just had an abrupt end. Forecast into what pro sports would look like with free agency, I think they were the first causality of it unfortunately for me. Maybe not as good as the other ones I mentioned but important to me ha.

Shaq & Dale - 2015

Of course Shaq being on that Orlando team was my favorite player. Everyone knows Shaq. But this shows you his history and what makes him tick and how important his coach at LSU was to him and what mentorship can do for someone. The end is so sweet.

Anyways those are my recommendations ha

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I just saw "Once Brothers" and really liked it... I remember when the incident happened, and like the documentary, I remember reading how Divac ripped up the Croatian flag, and its too bad bad information got out, before Petrovic was killed, disabling any chance for reconciliation.

The trick is not minding

Interesting look into Corey Bookers campaign to unseat Incumbent Sharpe James. Not overly political, as instead it features James heavy handedand often times threatening attempts to win at all costs. Even bullying Booker supporters.
A fascinating look at how low one political rival will stoop to keep his position.
4 *’s

The trick is not minding

2 Friends go to Mount Everest to ski and we watch the potential dangers unfold. Including a snowstorm.
The best part of it the cinematography. There’s some beautiful sights of ice caves they discover and explore and the occasional wildlife captured in film. But really, the snowstorms are an amazing sight.
Oh, and skiing. Lots and lots of skiing
3 *’s

Interesting look into Corey Bookers campaign to unseat Incumbent Sharpe James. Not overly political, as instead it features James heavy handedand often times threatening attempts to win at all costs. Even bullying Booker supporters.
A fascinating look at how low one political rival will stoop to keep his position.
4 *’s
I didn't know his opponent, but in regards of how low one will stoop, Corey is a Wall St. prostitute, and even rented a girlfriend, who waited until Corey dropped out to say she was gay. There's no way Corey talks that way at home.

Re-watch of a very interesting documentary about married artists Ushio Shinohara and Noriko Shinohara in NYC.

Re-watch of a classic Frederick Wiseman documentary. Set in NYC in 1973. I very much doubt that anything has improved for people who are on welfare lines to this day.

No particular interest in Michael Hutchence or INXS, but interesting to watch. Tragic that he killed himself.