What Are You Reading Right Now?

Tools    

I don't know how to summarize this book. You might say it's an argument in favor of objective value. It's a challenge to read (like most any philosophy book is), but at base it seems to affirm what I've been saying for at least a decade: A thing is good insofar as it fulfills it's concept, a thing is bad insofar that it doesn't.

One of this idea's very many logical conclusions is that... movies can be objectively good or bad. Which I still believe.

I'm Anthony, a Frenchman in France.
I'm reading a book mostly written by a French scientist, Jean-Pierre Petit: "Cosmic Contacts - How far can we think too far?".

That scientist is the person who spread in France the news regarding alleged extraterrestrials, the Ummites from the Ummo planet (and maybe regarding other associated extraterrestrials). He claims he's gotten much valuable information from "them", which he can make the most of as a scientist.

In this book, he explains his discoveries, theories, observations, knowledge. Not all can necessarily be taken for granted, however this reading is inspiring. Also he's 81 and has no scientific career left to lose. You can imagine how controversial he's considered in his scientific community, without mentioning his own cosmological theory invalids many of the mainstream theories.

This book actually is the transcript of a loooong dialogue between Jean-Pierre Petit and a guy who asks him questions. This makes it all pleasant to read.

I'm reading the "The Mist by Stephen Kings".
France at Home is an online French Supermarket that sells French products such as bread, appetizers, cheese, jams, foie gras, condiments, shampoo, saucisson, french mustard, and French bread. France At Home offers new & quality French Food because it imports products from France then deliver directly to your doorstep.

A system of cells interlinked
Just finished this morning:

Alongside "Death in Venice" this is one of my favorites of what i have read in 2019, superbly written and very lyrically.

Highly recommended if you are into Eastern European literature from the interwar period.

Hopefully i will be able to finish it tonight.

The Tin Collectors (2001) by Stephen J. Cannell, published by St. Martin's.

This is a re-read for me from 10 years ago. Cannell writes very readable and eclectic stories that hold one's interest. He wrote 18 novels, but he's best known for his TV series writing, including The Rockford Files, The A-team, The Commish, 21 Jump Street, Diagnosis Murder, and dozens of others.

Efter solen (After the Sun) by Jonas Eika Rasmussen (2018)

I have been looking forward to reading this hyped collection of Danish sci-fi short stories. Hopefully I wont be disappointed.

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (2010)

I found this at a thrift shop for around two dollars and remembered quite like The Corrections (Though this was many years ago).

With my semester coming to an end, I can finally read what I want again. I've been meaning to tackle Arnold J. Toynbee's 12 volume A Study of History, which charts and compares the rise and fall of different civilizations. BUT, I just found out about this cult leader/serial killer/drug runner named Adolfo Constanzo, and his cult/drug running gang which the FBI dubbed the Narcosatantist. There's something about that name that gets me going, so I'm probably going to do as much reading as I can on Constanzo before I start A Study of History.

From the little of what I've read so far, Constanzo would perform voodoo rituals for cartel hitmen, and his cult members thought the sacrifices would be stronger if they started using live people, so it slowly graduated from animals, to digging up dead bodies, to kidnapping people, one of them being an American pre-med student on spring break in Mexico, and dicing them up. Constanzo wanted to join the cartel, but he was too ****ed up for their standards, so when he was refused, he then started kidnapping cartel members and sacrificing them. I think the law only came down on him when he kidnapped the American student and his body was found sans a head and spine.

He also disappointingly looks like Corey Feldman.

True story of the Galvin Family and their history with schizophrenia when six of their twelve children were diagnosed with the disorder. Just started reading it and it's already proving to be a fascinating read.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Right now I'm reading this thread!

IQ 400!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

About halfway through and so far it's pretty craptastic. I kept seeing rave reviews and it was recommended to me a few times. The synopsis piqued my interest, so I thought what the hell. I don't know if it's lost in translation but it's very poorly written. Also very boring. But I got this far, may as well finish it. Plus I'm told the end will be worth it. We'll see.

Yeah, I couldn't finish "Tender is the Flesh". I did look up the ending and I'll just say I made the right decision.

Moving on...

Just started this...

Fingers crossed.

Not much of a reader these days, but I'm currently enjoying Earth, Air, Fire and Custard, the 3rd book in Tom Holt's "J.W. Wells & Co." series.

I'm also listening to John Voth read Harry Potter on YouTube, which is great, because I get to hear the whole story again while also getting his reaction since he had never read it before.