Real Stories from the Pro Wrestling Industry

Tools    

For a time I ran backstage for a small promotion in Florida called Suncoast Pro Wrestling. This is the late 80's. I got to meet a couple guys that were complete unknowns then like Marc Mero (Johnny B Bad in WCW), and Sean Waltman (X-Pac, 1 2 3 Kid, Syxx). Dean Malenko was involved heavily with the promoter Henry Raines.

Wrestling is not a sport. Its predetermined and if it wasnt there would be a betting line in Las Vegas for the business. The things they do in and out of the ring is choreographed before the match or they "call it in the ring". The impact is more real than you think, good workers can protect who theyre hitting, but other workers are "stiff" i.e. hit for real. The schedule is brutal. WWE has guys on the road performing 300 days out of the year. They go for a 2 week shot, get 2 days off, and go back out again. There is no "season". To perform at the high rate they do, and get Wow factor from crowd, and stay "over" the painkiller addiction rate throughout ALL the business is at epidemic levels.

The professional wrestling industry has a higher mortality rate than any other sport, or entertainment industry. More than the music industry by leaps and bounds. The need to be out there and perform is nothing less than an addiction itself. Terry Funk is almost 80 and still gets out there. Hes had 15 or so retirement matches the past 10 years.

Bookers are people that determined the story direction of their company. The only big show left in the USA is the WWE, and Stephanie McMahon/HHH are kinda like bookers though they have actual script writers employed, failed sitcom writers, etc..., though Vince always has final say.

Ok enough of that. Before I tell the story just listen to what Dusty Rhodes voice was like. It'll help.

Ill try and compose some stuff on Randy Savage (Randy Poffo) later for JustinJ, but I first want to tell a hilarious story I heard from Brian Blair on a Wrestling Observer Live broadcast 11 or so years ago. Blair wrestled for the WWF with Jim Brunzell in a tag-team called The Killer Bees in the mid 80's. Long before that in the mid 70's he worked for Florida Championship Wrestling and the booker was "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Back then there were no drunk driving laws.

So they were doing shows throughout florida, and would often do 2 shows in one day in 2 different towns. This was the NWA era, and FCW had Andre The Giant in their territory for a 3 or 4 month shot. So Blair is driving, Dustry is riding shotgun, and Andre is taking up the entire backseat with 2 styrofoam water coolers on his right and left. The cooler on Andres left was full of ice & beer, and on his right was a beer bottles full of piss because they wouldnt stop. They had to make a night show.

Blair described the highways back then in florida as unending inky blackness, there were no highway lights. Rhodes was freaking out how they had to make the 2nd show on time, and Blair said he was doing around 100 mph. Suddenly a deer came bounding out across the road, and Blair swerved hard to miss it. The screech of the tires were so loud they couldve been heard for miles, the car itself would have and should have flipped except Andre was 500+ lbs, Rhodes 275, and BB 240. What did happen though is the beer cooler from the backseat came crashing onto Blair, but he heard this high pitched sounding hysteria coming from Dusty next to him as the cooler full of pee bottles crashed onto him. "Im covered in piss! Oh BB ill have you job (lose) for a year! The Dreams covered in piss!". Then Blair heard the "HA! HA! HA!...." roar of laughter coming from Andre in the backseat.

So a week or so later its the same scenario, Blairs driving like a madman to get to their night show, Dustys shotgun, and Andre is in the back with the beer cooler. No pee cooler though due to the accident the week before. Well they all had to piss badly, and Blair pulled over as the 3 went away from the road towards some trees they knew were there but couldnt see as it was pitch black out.

Blair has his hands out trying to feel for something and gets a big tree trunk. He sighs, zips and does his business. He's bout scared out of his wits as he hears a high pitched scream right next to him "Who's pissing on my leg?! Two times in one week! Someones pissing on the Dream!" It was so black out Blair didnt know his stream was hitting Rhodes, and then they heard Andres monumental "HA! HA! HA!..." coming from the woods.

Originally Posted by TONGO
The need to be out there and perform is nothing less than an addiction itself. Terry Funk is almost 80 and still gets out there. Hes had 15 or so retirement matches the past 10 years.
I need to turn "Sexy Celebrity" into a professional wrestler.

Let the night air cool you off
It helps if you know Andre's voice and the sound of his laughter too. I'm sure most of you would recognize Andre from The Princess Bride.

That's a great story, TONGO. I'm sure you probably heard a ton of Andre drinking stories, he was notorious for his ability to drink. Though it's not a full story, this Iron Sheik tweet about Andre the Giant makes me laugh every time I think about it:

[Is there anyway to embed tweets on here?]

put this at 1:45 and be amaze

It helps if you know Andre's voice and the sound of his laughter too. I'm sure most of you would recognize Andre from The Princess Bride.

That's a great story, TONGO. I'm sure you probably heard a ton of Andre drinking stories, he was notorious for his ability to drink. Though it's not a full story, this Iron Sheik tweet about Andre the Giant makes me laugh every time I think about it:

[Is there anyway to embed tweets on here?]
Iron Shiek is a true blue lunatic at times. His real wrestling credentials are legit, but he gets terribly loud, vulgar, and downright ornery when loaded. He was screaming on more than one YouTube video about how Jake "The Snake" Roberts..............1:39 into this video, but its worth watching the whole thing lol!

Most of the time their lines aren't scripted. It's like when they do improv in movies, you are basically given a guideline and you run with it and make it yours.

Most of the time their lines aren't scripted. It's like when they do improv in movies, you are basically given a guideline and you run with it and make it yours.
Right now in WWE its about the scripts. Punk is allowed to just use "bulletpoints" like in old days when they need to get a point across but had freedom elsewhere in what to say. Cena & Punk are more than capable but watching Randy Orton or HHH have to do bad acting....thats too hard to watch. Everyones doing scriptwork in WWE, except less than a handful. Make no mistake though, Punks lil rant was completely planned.

Heres a surprising announcement. CM PUnk is going to write the next Thor annual.

I tweeted him my hopes he wouldnt screw Thor up

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23636/...the_experience

Ill try to put together something tomorrow on Randy Savage. I dont know alot about him, but what i have heard is far from boring. Got a killer Junkyard Dog story. Even someone that didnt know him will like that tale.

I went to a little rinky-dink show at our local gymnasium that Jimmy Hart was putting on. He had Rick and Scott Steiner versus some nobodies as the main event, and Koko B. Ware was there if I remember correctly. The show wasn't really anything special, but they did some kind of raffle thing where they were giving away Hulk Hogan signed action figures to the winner of the raffle.

Earlier that day I was at Walmart. While I was at the front of the store I noticed that Jimmy Hart was at the check-out, he was buying Hulk Hogan action figures. Hulk Hogan was probably in Florida somewhere 1,000 miles away.

These were some of the best promos Savage ever did in his career for Wrestlemania 5. Yes that was Governor Ventura interviewing him in the first one. Ive heard scattered stories about Randy, but the most consistent observations is that 1. He really talked like that in real life, and 2. was insanely jealous of anyone talking to Elizabeth. Maybe thats why his promos for WM V were so good, because Randy & Hulks real life hate/feud all centered around Randys jealousy re: Elizabeth.

Randy Savage real last name was Poffo, his father was Angelo "The Meiser" Poffo, and his brother wrestled as Lanny "The Genius" Poffo. I dont know if Lanny is a real genius, but is highly articulate. I do know from alot of old timers that his Dad really was a miser, and always handled Randys money. Savage when he died had the bulk of his fortune still intact. A rare thing as wrestlers from early 80's mostly blew their fortunes, except for a few that could continue earning after.

Randy was a great worker in his early days, meaning he was a "ring general" and could command the pace/excitement of the match. If you really want to be blown away watch his match with Ricky Steamboat in Wrestlemania 3. Steamboat was even more accomplished than Savage, and had mapped out the entire 22 minute match at least a month before.....(Btw, Kayfabe is when the boys would try and protect the business i.e. not reveal that its predetermined.)

Savage was mostly adored by the guys in the business. Many years after WM V Vince McMahon wanted Randy to be a permanent color commentator. Savage though always felt he was a wrestler, and left Vince high & dry to go to WCW. McMahon was floored, and asked Jerry Lawler to fill in till he found someone permanent. Lawler still does color on RAW.

I dont know the details on why he & Liz divorced other than the obvious ones of his insane jealousy, and drug use (steroids and possibly cocaine). Plainly put, any entertainment venue in the early to mid 80's where a ton of $$$ came quick had a cocaine culture in the background. Even WWF. Whats ironic is Elizabeth died of a painkiller overdose many years later. She was with Lex Luger at the time, and Lex bumbled the entire crisis to the point many hold him responsible for her death. After Elizabeth died, Vince McMahon played the 911 call Luger made to dispatchers on a live RAW broadcast when Lex discovered her body, and his hystericalness, plus McMahons power ended Lugers career forever.

When Savage was nearing the end of his WCW run its noteworthy to mention the effects of his hip replacement surgery. Surgeries throughout a career are common even today, but Randys hip was shot because of all those times he would come off the top rope and drop the elbow on the prone opponent. When he used to land, he'd mostly land on his hip to protect the guy. After coming back from the hip replacement Randy was no longer trying to land on his hip. He was actually coming off the top rope and really dropping the elbow on his target to protect any contact to his hip. The guys were howling and complaining left and right, and a referee that endured it suffered a broken sternum. So he had to change his finishing move.

Of course we all know he died while driving from a heart attack. Whats interesting is reports from the boys on last years of his life. He always carried a love for Liz, and never got over her throughout his life. Then a couple years before he died he met a woman, they fell in love, and got married. People said they NEVER saw him more at peace, and happy. Its good to know now he finally found contentment.

The news of his death devastated many, even Hulk Hogan who said had made peace with Randy weeks before his death. That is scrutinized today still (Hogan has many detractors), but was real was the love he had for the boys, and the business. In a business of repetitive campy duplication, there will never be another Randy Savage.

At what? Scripted work?
for your information (not mad at all) he is one of the few wrestlers who don't write any script before doing promos and this one is the perfect example. One of the best promo ever seen in professional wrestling.

Heres a surprising announcement. CM PUnk is going to write the next Thor annual.

I tweeted him my hopes he wouldnt screw Thor up

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23636/...the_experience

Ill try to put together something tomorrow on Randy Savage. I dont know alot about him, but what i have heard is far from boring. Got a killer Junkyard Dog story. Even someone that didnt know him will like that tale.
he is a god. He certainly gonna be awesome as writing as he was in pro-wrestling

Good stuff, TONGO. I remember the first wrestling tapes I ever bought were Wrestlemania 3 and Wrestlemania 17 on VHS. I watched them both a million times, and I loved that Savage/Steamboat match. Savage also had a really good Wrestlemania match with Flair that centered around Flair threatening to show "private" photos of Liz. As you can tell by my profile banner, I think the Macho Man is awesome.

I don't know if you would have any stories about the Von Erichs, but if you do that would be of interest to me. My dad has told me stories about going to the shows in Dallas and seeing the Von Erich boys and how he would eat breakfast at the same cafe as their dad, Fritz. He said the boys would show up on some occasions as well. They were basically north Texas royalty at that point with their feud with the Fabulous Freebirds and whenever Flair was in town he was usually defending the NWA belt against one of the boys.

Good stuff, TONGO. I remember the first wrestling tapes I ever bought were Wrestlemania 3 and Wrestlemania 17 on VHS. I watched them both a million times, and I loved that Savage/Steamboat match. Savage also had a really good Wrestlemania match with Flair that centered around Flair threatening to show "private" photos of Liz. As you can tell by my profile banner, I think the Macho Man is awesome.

I don't know if you would have any stories about the Von Erichs, but if you do that would be of interest to me. My dad has told me stories about going to the shows in Dallas and seeing the Von Erich boys and how he would eat breakfast at the same cafe as their dad, Fritz. He said the boys would show up on some occasions as well. They were basically north Texas royalty at that point with their feud with the Fabulous Freebirds and whenever Flair was in town he was usually defending the NWA belt against one of the boys.
I was actually at a WWF house show in Tampa where they introduced that exact angle of Randy/Liz/Flair for the first time. It was the Sun Dome and back then you couldnt hear the promos they were cutting in stadium (this was before RAW), but only see them being done.

What was more interesting at that show was a dark spot (untelevised) they did with the Mountie. The Mountie was a canadian mounted ranger gimmick, bad guy, and he had a "shock stick". Well the Mountie is in the middle of the ring hollering how no man can beat him when he has his shock stick, nobody in the back has the guts to come out, etc...

Then all the lights went out in the stadium, and then you heard the Undertakers music start. The place went bannanas. WWF was testing the waters to see if they should turn Taker babyface, he was always a heel to that point. Undertaker slowly walks out with Paul Bearer (Percy Pringle), and everyones going nuts. Mountie shocks him, no effect (there was this campy piped in "shock" sound over the speakers each time), shocks him again, no effect, and then punch, kick, tombstone piledriver & Mounties left laying in the ring. The pop Taker got that night was louder then the Hogan/Flair main event.

As for the Von Erichs, Ill pass on that. Its the most depressing story of the business, and thats saying a ton. In a nutshell they were like a royal family, but Kerry and his brothers could not deal with real life. Multiple drug overdoses, and suicides later I think theres only one surviving son out of the whole lot. Just bleak.

Yeah, the Von Erichs are definitely a tragic story. I was hoping you'd have something positive for me, my dad said they were all really friendly with the fans and stuff. Of course that could have been before things became too much for them.

My boys were mad WWF fans. I took them to see Insurrextion at Earls Court in 2001. I was on the phone for hours trying to get tickets, that's how popular it was then