Do you guys read/watch movie reviews

Tools    

Controversy is your friend
I've seen a bunch of movie reviews and previews on youtube. Do you guys ever watch them? I personally watch a movie regardless of ratings or comments from movie reviewers. I do find some of the reviews on youtube pretty funny

Most of the Video Blogs are a bit 'meh', so I don't watch them, but as for actual written reviews, I tend these days to listen to the guys on this forum. Most are unbiased and genuine opinions, which give a more rounded outlook on the film.

Professional Critics are a bit up their own backsides for my liking and many reviews that 'big-up' the film, are on the payroll of the studio anyway, so I ignore them too.

Stick with MoFo reviews ... especially mine. You can find it in my signature banner

Very rarely. I'm sure the top 0.5% would be worth watching, but figuring out what those are reliably is pretty tough. The overwhelming majority are entirely unnecessary. By that, I don't mean that they're not good (though most aren't), I mean that they make no real attempt to be insightful. It's just sort of "I liked this, I didn't like that." As if the goal were just to have a record of the opinion, rather than think about it, talk about it, let other people know what to expect, etc.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Stick with MoFo reviews ... especially mine. You can find it in my signature banner
Wow talk about a shameless plug! I mean you would never find me talking about the link in my signature to my review thread, JayDee's Movie Musings. Absolutely never!!!

Most of the Video Blogs are a bit 'meh', so I don't watch them, but as for actual written reviews, I tend these days to listen to the guys on this forum. Most are unbiased and genuine opinions, which give a more rounded outlook on the film.

Professional Critics are a bit up their own backsides for my liking and many reviews that 'big-up' the film, are on the payroll of the studio anyway, so I ignore them too.

Wow talk about a shameless plug! I mean you would never find me talking about the link in my signature to my review thread, JayDee's Movie Musings. Absolutely never!!!

Interesting guys...i would like to see some videos since i am lazy to read but good stuff none of the less

I sometimes do, especially when a really good film comes out. I sometimes agree with what they say but most of the time I don't lol

We've gone on holiday by mistake
This forum and Rotten Tomatoes.

I Love Movies! That's all
The only video Reviews I like to watch are those of the escapist website. Those guys (mostly) have pretty high standards and their videos are short, to the point and their opinions often reflects my own.

As for written reviews, I read them quite a lot. Some people out there do have good (or funny) insights that add to a movie's value or clarifies my gut feeling of disgust in words I coudn't come up with myself.

The golden rule is to always be critical when reading/watching anything on the internet. Don't ever assume a movie is bad because someone says it. Rather read/listen to his arguments and think about them. That way you can even send the writer/vlogger a message with your own opinions and start a neat discussion.

Cheers

The golden rule is to always be critical when reading/watching anything on the internet. Don't ever assume a movie is bad because someone says it. Rather read/listen to his arguments and think about them.
Or, do it the easy way, and just agree with what I say.

I Love Movies! That's all
Or, do it the easy way, and just agree with what I say.
hehehe :P yeah Honey always knows best

that's what she said...
I never watch YouTube posted reviews because most of the time people are just rambling on and have no idea what they are talking about. Mostly because half of them are attention seeking teens who are constantly fixing their hair while they talk. LOL.

But other than that if I see a preview and think it's going to be a good movie, I'll watch it without READING reviews. But if it looks questionable, I'll usually read some posted reviews on it. If it at least has some good reviews, I'll give it a watch, (even if most were negative) but if I keep reading over and over that it's a waste of time,... I'll usually take a pass. Great topic tho!

I never watch YouTube posted reviews because most of the time people are just rambling on and have no idea what they are talking about. Mostly because half of them are attention seeking teens who are constantly fixing their hair while they talk. LOL.

But other than that if I see a preview and think it's going to be a good movie, I'll watch it without READING reviews. But if it looks questionable, I'll usually read some posted reviews on it. If it at least has some good reviews, I'll give it a watch, (even if most were negative) but if I keep reading over and over that it's a waste of time,... I'll usually take a pass. Great topic tho!
From time to time i check these guys at www.justseenit.com they are my favorite in terms of content, but not as funny as some other reviews. Normally if i feel like watching something i just do it even with bad ratings a rotten tomatoes.

that's what she said...
From time to time i check these guys at www.justseenit.com they are my favorite in terms of content, but not as funny as some other reviews. Normally if i feel like watching something i just do it even with bad ratings a rotten tomatoes.
Thanks for the link! I'll give it a try next time.

I actually run a blog with a couple of friends dedicated to giving unbiased reviews to movies and games and such. I tend to read user reviews more so than actual critic reviews.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
http://www.spill.com/
Spill.com always have an entertaining and simple approach to their reviews. Each member has a different taste so you can choose whoevers opinion to follow.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I like the gang at What the Flick. The panel of Ben Mankiewicz (host of Turner Classic Movies), Matt Atchity (editor-in-chief of Rottentomatoes.com), and Alonso Duralde (Movie Line) plus occasionally Christy Lemire (AP critic) make most of the reviews pretty fun.

I dont think they sway my opinion to see a movie that i wasnt goint to bother with otherwise or vice versa though.

All the time. That Guy With The Glasses hosts some of my favourite reviewers.
I know, I know, 90% of the time they exaggerate their opinions and act out their opinions through their online personas, but it's a comedy website; that's what they get paid for. Obviously it's important to take everything they say with a grain of salt (especially the Nostalgia Critic and Film Brain,) but they're quite clever and very thorough, so going through some of their movie reviews is a fun way to spend an afternoon.
In the same vein is Red Letter Media. I find that for the most part, they're more honest with their opinions rather than blowing them up for comedic purposes (in terms of their Half in the Bag reviews, anyways,) but yes, they are still definitely a comedy website, so again, it's important not to form any opinions based on their reviews, but merely to watch them for entertainment purposes. Much like why you would watch a movie in the first place! (and watching their Star Wars I-III reviews definitely feels like watching a movie...)
Forgot to mention Confused Matthew, he's great as well.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i would usually watch read reviews before reading movies like rotten tomatoes